Martyn Harvey's 1974.5 MGB GT with Ford 302cid V8as published in BritishV8 Magazine, Volume XX Issue 2, December 2012
Owner: Martyn Harvey
BritishV8 UserID: harv8
City: Waterloo, Ontario CA
Model: 1974.5 MGB GT
Conversion performed by: owner
Features and Specifications
|Engine:||1988 Ford 302cid V8.
(Built by Forrest & Forrest Racing, Kitchener, Ontario in March 2009.
Dyno results: 284HP / 299 torque at rear wheels.)
Piston & ring set (+0.030", part# SBF600030F06).
Main bearings (-0.010", part# 5M590P).
Rod bearings (-0.010", part# 8B634A).
Comp Cams roller camshaft (part# 35-308-8 266HR).
Cam bearings (part# FP-18).
Roller rocker arms (part# 1332-16).
Timing chain (part# 9-1138).
Racing Head Services aluminum cylinder heads (part# RHS35001-02).
Edelbrock Performer 289 intake manifold (part# 2121).
Fast EZ-EFI throttle body fuel injection system (part# FAST4-152).
Mallory fuel pressure regulator (part# 4305M).
MSD Pro-Billet distributor (part# 8579).
MSD Digital 6A ignition control box.
MSD Blaster 2 ignition coil.
Moroso spark plug wires.
Taylor wire loom kit (part# TAY42502).
March billet aluminum pulley/belt/accessory mounting kit (part# 30410).
Canton remote oil filter mount (part# SBF22-625).
Custom engine steady bar.
|Cooling:||custom aluminum radiator by Bill Kydd at Canadian Performance Warehouse.
Upper radiator hose (NAPA part# 7096).
Lower radiator hose (NAPA part# 7400).
Manifold to thermostat hose (Dayco part# 87671).
Water pump to heater pipe (Dayco part# 70646-short).
|Exhaust:||Fast Cars four-into-one through-the-fenders headers.
Hi-Tech ceramic exhaust coating.
Custom dual 2.25" stainless exhaust with crossover pipe, by Grant Swartz.
|Transmission:||2012 Tremec T5 5-speed (0.63:1 fifth gear, part# 1352-000-251).
Fidanza aluminum flywheel (part# 186501).
Ford Motorsport clutch (part# FRDM7560A302).
Nissan slave cylinder (truck D21, part# 652-119 30620-10G00).
Shortened T5 gear shifter by Bergs Performance.
Leather Ford Mustang shifter knob.
|Rear axle:||Ford 8.8 housing.
Limited slip differential.
3.08:1 final drive ratio.
|Front Susp.:||Hoyle coilover front suspension.
GAZ single-adjustable coilover shock absorbers.
FabTek dropped spindles.
|Rear Susp.:||Classic Conversions Engineering 4-link rear suspension.
GAZ single-adjustable coilover shock absorbers.
Blue Coil springs (175#/inch).
|Brakes:||(master) MGB dual circuit master cylinder.
(front) '86-'88 Toyota 4 Runner twin pot calipers (NAPA part# 342-61207 8). '84-'85 Toyota Van vented rotors (NAPA part# UP85831).
(rear) Wilwood disc brakes. Wilwood proportioning valve (part# MBM-APV1).
|Wheels/Tires:||Compomotive ML 8-spoke 15x7 aluminum wheels.
Falken Ziex912 tires (205-55x15 front, 225-50x15 rear).
|Interior:||1980 MGB dashboard.
Formuling leather wrapped steering wheel.
Remote door locks.
Nostalgic Air A/C system.
Pieces of Eight bonnet and hatch struts.
|Electrical:||Advance Auto-Wire wiring kit.
Dakota Digital door power connectors (part# MGS-5 650354).
Sony CD player.
Four speaker system with separate tweeters.
Rear window defogger.
12V accessory sockets.
Lucas driving lights.
|Fuel System:||Custom Rod Works aluminum fuel tank with internal fuel pump.
Walbro in-tank fuel pump.
Russell high pressure fuel hose and fittings.
Fram fuel filter (part# FRAG3727).
|Martyn's Comments:||Thank You BritishV8.org!!! This is the ultimate encyclopedia of British V8 swaps.
Also, a huge Thank You to my good friend Bob Smith for his great work installing the electrical system. There is a lot of 'Bob' in this car and I can't thank him enough for all his support and encouragement.
This 1988 Ford 302cid V8 delivers 284 horsepower & 299 ft-lbs of torque to the rear wheels.
Under the finned air cleaner: Fast EZ-EFI throttle body fuel injection system.
Leather upholstery and a late-model dashboard are just two of interior upgrades.
With coilover suspension both front and rear, Martyn could set ride height precisely where
he wanted it. Wheel and tire selection also helped to give this car its thoroughbred stance.
Many people feel "rubber bumpers" suit MG's GT model better than their roadsters. After just one-half
year, MG ceased exporting rubber bumper GTs to North America. (Production continued ~5 more years.)
Result: 1974.5 model year GTs are among the most collectible MGs in North America.
How It Was Done
- Clear Vision and Careful Research:
- Wanted to create a powerful, good-handling MGBGT.
- Wanted to use well-engineered and proven mechanical upgrades.
- Wanted the appearannce of an original factory-built MGBGT.
- Wanted a GT version of my black MGB V8 roadster.
- Wanted to build on the experience of those who successfully utilized Ford engines.
(Particularly inpired by Larry Shimp's BGT and Graham Creswick's B roadster.)
- Original Car:
- Purchased a rust free and well maintained 1974.5 MGBGT (in 1998).
- Parted out original MGB drive train.
- Body & chassis mods: (note: welding & fabrication by Grant Swartz, Swartz Fabrications, Bloomingdale Ontario)
- Cut holes in inner fenders for exhaust headers.
- Shortened front tray to enable radiator to move as close to front of car as possible.
- Modified front crossmember to accommodate Ford 302 engine and Hoyle coilover front suspension.
- Fabricated new motor mounts and a gearbox crossmember.
- Centered fuel tank to accommodate dual exhaust.
- Stripped off the original paint.
- Sandblasted the car.
- New black paint by Gord Kudlowick at Easy-Way Autobody.
- Purchased a 1988 Ford 302 V8 (ex: Mustang 5.0).
- Rebuilt the engine from the bearings up.
- Purchased new Tremec T5 gearbox, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, and clutch.
- Fabricated new clutch cylinder slave bracket and fitted Nissan truck slave cylinder.
- Purchased Ford 8.8" posi rear axle, narrowed to MGB width.
- Front suspension:
- Installed Hoyle coilover front suspension kit.
- Substituted FabTek MGB dropped spindles.
- Modified the front anti-sway bar.
- Rear suspension:
- Installed Classic Conversions Engineering 4-link suspension.
- Master cylinders:
- New MGB brake and clutch master cylinders.
- Brake light switch replaced / relocated to footbox.
- Front brakes:
- Toyota 4-Runner calipers and Toyota van rotors.
- Rear brakes:
- Wilwood disc brakes.
- Lokar parking brake cable.
- Wilwood proportioning valve.
- Wheels and tires:
- Compomotive ML15 8-spoke wheels.
- Falken Ziex912 tires.
- Nissan 240SX space saver spare tire.
- Reupholstered MGB seats in leather.
- Installed a 1980 MGB dashboard.
- Installed an Audiovox cruise control switch.
- Installed a variable intermittent wiper switch.
- Sony CD player.
- Added an oil temperature gauge.
- Installed new carpet set.
- New door cards and trim panels.
- Fiat door arm rests.
- Jaguar XJ6 grab handles.
- Vintage courtesy lamps.
- Accessory outlets.
- Push button start.
- Insulated/sound proofed interior of car with Dynamat.
- Fabricated rear security trunk.
- Hydraulic trunk and hatch struts.
- Speedhut GPS speedometer and matching tachometer, temperature gauge, voltmeter, and oil guages.
- Advance Wire harness and fuse panel.
- Secondary fuse panel to accommodate extra accessories.
- Halogen headlights.
- Vintage Lucas driving lamps.
- LED third brake light.
- Climate System:
- Nostalgic Air MGB kit.
- Installed A/C drier in radiator tray.
- Under-dash evaporator in passenger footwell.
- A/C switches on dash.
- March bracket kit.
- Audi heater valve.
- Engine Cooling:
- Fast Cars aluminum crossflow radiator.
- Spal electric fan.
- Louvered bonnet.
- Magnetically attached rain water diverters.
- Modified radiator hoses.
- Front air scoop.
- Heater valve.
- Power windows and locks:
- Universal power window kit, with switches installed in center console.
- Universal remote door lock kit.
- Magnum Shooters (spring-loaded brass button contact) kit.
- Tinted windshield.
- Tinted side windows.
- Electric rear window defogger.
- Custom driveshaft with new universal joints.
- Fast EZ-EFI throttle body fuel injection system.
- Edelbrock Performer 289 intake manifold.
- Fuel System:
- Custom Rod Works aluminum fuel tank with internal fuel pump.
- Russell high pressure fuel hose and fittings.
- Fram inline fuel filter.
- Oil System:
- Canton remote oil filter kit.
- Custom oil filter mount.
- MSD Pro Billet distributor (part number 8579).
- MSD Digital 6A ignition box.
- Moroso spark plug wires.
- Taylor wire routing clips.
- Cruise Control:
- Audiovox cruise control servo.
Audiovox cruise control servo.
- Fast Cars exhaust headers.
- Hi-Tech ceramic exhaust coating.
- Twin stainless steel exhaust pipes with cross-over.
- Borla stainless steel mufflers.
- Engine and gearbox together.
- Suspension and Wheel Alignment:
- Coilover set up. (With corner weights adjusted, car has 50/50 front/rear weight ratio.)
- Laser wheel alignment by Scott Murfin at Can-Align.