Jim Stuart's 1966 MGB with Rover 4.0L EFI V8as published in British V8 Newsletter, Volume XV Issue 1, April 2007
Owner: Jim Stuart
City: Montgomery Village, MD
Model: 1966 MGB roadster
Engine: Rover V8
Conversion performed by: Owner
|Note:||This car was first converted to Buick 215 power with Edelbrock 500CFM
carburetor. In this form, it was "completed" in about 2001. Later,
it was upgraded to Rover hot-wire EFI, and then the engine was
replaced with a 4.0L Rover.
|Cooling:||D&D copper/brass radiator.
|Exhaust:||Dual exhaust with mufflers and resonators. The gas tank was
centered to facilitate symmetrical construction.
|Transmission:||Chevy T-5, with 0.63:1 5th gear. Custom driveshaft.
|Clutch:||McLeod HTOB, Chevy (Goodwrench) S-10 clutch.
|Rear axle:||Ford 8" / MGB hybrid axle with positraction and 3.55:1 gears.
(Note: I originally fitted a 3.07:1 MGC differential.)
|Front susp.:||Rebuilt stock MGB, with polyurethane bushings, and M&G
aftermarket sway bars.
|Rear susp.:||Rebuilt stock MGB.
|Wheels/Tires:||Factory 15" steel wheels (1966 vintage by 6" wide. Very hard to find!)
Original hub caps.
|Electrical:||I completed a major rewire of the entire car. There are now 22
circuits, and all feature printed wires for easy troubleshooting
and future modifications.
|Other:||Air conditioning. Color-matched hard top.
|Comments:||Like most conversions, this was and is an evolving project. I started
with a pretty clean 1978 body, and decided to back date it to a 1966
with a metal dash, 2 wipers, 1966 interior/door handles, and A/C hidden
in the dash using the original heater controls. This was, of course,
mega times more work than anticipated. I took the car in the original
mechanical form to the V8 meet in Sebring with the hood in primer, paint
& pinstripes per the original car owner, the interior mostly done.
It was several years later that the car was finally painted, then more
time went by and I got bored and changed over to hot-wire Rover fuel
injection. A bit more time went by and a rebuilt 4.0 Rover came along.
"How It Was Done"
Tunnel Mods to Clear the T5 Transmission
Passenger-Side Footbox Bulkhead and the AC Evaporator Housing
MGB Motor Mounts (late model style)
Modifications to the Motor Mount Adaptors for More Set-Back
Rear Crossmember (modified with adapter for the T5's slanted mounting)
Mods to the Steering-Rack Mounts (to clear serpentine-belt and front cover)
Trial Fitting of the Engine, and Setting Up the Throttle Cable
Setting Up The Electric Choke, and Modified Dropped-Base Air Cleaner
Trial-Fitting RV8-style Headers and Serpentine-Belt Assembly
At Right, an Adaptor for a Chrome Bumper (this was originally a rubber-bumper body)
The Oil Filter Clears The Rack!
Jim Pioneered the "Removeable Slam Panel" Trick
Firewall and Bulkhead Modifications for A/C
Trial Installation of the Evaporator/Heater Core and Fan Assemblies
Close-up Photos of the HVAC Fan and the Heater Fittings
Hose Connections and Finishing Touches on the HVAC
Heater Controls/Valves in the Engine Compartment
Sanden Air Conditioning Compressor
Compressor Hose Connections, and Packaging of the A/C Condensor
Shifter Welded to an Offset Spacer to Align with Hole in Tranny Tunnel
Pedal-Stop to Prevent Hyperextension of the Hydraulic Throw-Out Bearing
EVERY MGB-V8 should have a battery disconnect switch! (Jim prefers to switch the "Ground" side)
Installation of an Early-Style (steel) Dashboard... but with A/C Vents Added
Photos Interior6 and Interior7
It Would be Folly to Install A/C Without Addressing MGB Insulation Issues
Mazda Miata Seats and Customized Center Console/Armrest
Finished MGB V8 Conversion Making Its Debut
Carburetors are Okay... But Next Jim Converted This Car To Rover EFI!
Detailed Photos of Rover Electronic Fuel Injection System Induction Tract