BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: RobertE on June 11, 2009, 09:55:50 AM

Title: Help! Front dampner clearance
Post by: RobertE on June 11, 2009, 09:55:50 AM
Hey everyone, I'm stuck in a bit of a pickle here with this engine swap and need some advice

It's a '79 B, 4.0 Rover v8 using a Buick 300 crank. The mounts being used are from Glen Towery

which move the engine back about ~1 1/4". Currently the front dampener is sitting on top of

the steering rack. I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue before?

I'd rather not alter the dampener since the engine has already been externally balanced.

Thanks for any help
Title: Re: Help! Front dampner clearance
Post by: Justinb on June 11, 2009, 05:49:27 PM
I ran into the same problem when I first put my motor together. What front dampener are you using? I had to take the one that came with my original rover 3.5L and have it modified to 'not' hit the steering rack. It was a bit of a pain, but it worked out. I could probably find a picture if necessary. Posting a picture of yours may help too.

Justin
Title: Re: Help! Front dampner clearance
Post by: RobertE on June 12, 2009, 12:14:50 PM
My father spoke with the gentleman who balanced the engine. He was told that shaving a little bit off the front dampener would have have little to no affect and probably wouldn't be noticed. I took it to the machine shop and had approximately 3/16" taken off and it fits now! Voila!
Title: Re: Help! Front dampner clearance
Post by: Bugeyev8 on June 12, 2009, 04:57:29 PM
there is no N in Damper just so you guys know
Title: Re: Help! Front dampner clearance
Post by: MGBV8 on June 14, 2009, 12:16:38 PM
I guess you're right, since it's spelled   h-a-r-m-o-n-i-c  b-a-l-a-n-c-e-r.   :)