BritishV8 Forum

General Category => Triumph Sports Cars => Topic started by: colc on March 09, 2009, 12:48:10 PM

Title: buick v6 turbo into Stag advise needed
Post by: colc on March 09, 2009, 12:48:10 PM
Hi, nemby here, from the other side of the pond! I've got a '72 Stag, fitted with a 2.5 Triumph straight six lump [non standard] which is getting a little tired. I also have a rotten '79 Buick Regal turbo [extremely healthy engine/auto trans] Can any of you guys give me some advise on fitting the V6 into the Stag. I've seen mention of quite a few Stateside Stags fitted with this engine, but no actual "how to" guide. All advise welcome, thanks in advance.
Title: Re: buick v6 turbo into Satg advise needed
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on March 09, 2009, 01:43:41 PM
That should be a very good combination Colin. Other than the exhaust it should be very similar to fitting the Rover 3.5L so most parts should be readily available. We are beginning to see some swaps using the Buick V6. Check the "How it was done" section.

Jim
Title: Re: buick v6 turbo into Stag advise needed
Post by: 72 Stag on March 13, 2009, 01:26:50 PM
Hi. Welcome. I just joined as well. The stag I bought has a non-turbo version. Of the buickv6. Wish I could help in the install, but I can say it can be done. Mine has been sitting for 4yrs so I've no idea about the shape of things. Good luck!
Title: Re: buick v6 turbo into Stag advise needed
Post by: cliff on March 14, 2009, 11:06:55 PM
Engine weights, I found a site http://www.35pickup.com/mulligan/weight.txt that has an extensive list of engine weights and some dimensions. http://www.jalopyjournal.com]has a good data base for T5 transmissions under the H.A.M.B. Alliance section. A search for t5 or 5 speed transmissions TRANSMISSION T5 TECH LINKS will turn up a ton of data covering the T5 transmission and applications.  Flat Ernie is author of these articles..The T5 trans has been installed in just about everything that uses a 5 spd trans, therefore many configurations to choose from.
My ride a 80 TR7 DHC is being fitted with a chevy 3.1L 60' V6 engine with the GM HO cam for this engine and some head work . I am using a T5 from a Camaro, the bellhousing has been redrilled and tapped to mount the trans straight up otherwise is tilted 17' to the right. The install is about 1/2 finished. I hope this info helps with your choices.

Don't use force, get a BIGGER hammer!!!!!!!!!!!

Cliff