BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: 1L-Loyd on February 22, 2022, 01:10:57 PM

Title: MGB factory hardtop question.
Post by: 1L-Loyd on February 22, 2022, 01:10:57 PM
Anyone have experience with the Rimmer Brothers MGB fiberglass hardtop? From the catalog depiction, It looks like a factory copy from what I can see.
Will those of you with the MGB factory top take a look and provide an opinion please. I'm sure the cost to ship one to the US would be steep, but it is "new".
Thanks
Title: MGB factory hardtop question.
Post by: 1L-Loyd on February 27, 2022, 01:31:22 AM
 -- moved topic --
Title: Re: MGB factory hardtop question.
Post by: mowog1 on March 30, 2022, 10:09:04 AM
If the hardtop to refer to is this listing:  https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RL1100  it is not even close to what the factory top provides. No side windows is the biggest difference.

For USD $1000 plus shipping, you should be able to find an authentic top here in the States.

Attached are photos of two tops that I've owned:

1968MGCLR_1.JPG

MGC3-4rear_resize.jpg
Title: Re: MGB factory hardtop question.
Post by: MGBV8 on March 30, 2022, 10:28:24 AM
We need a pic.  The only hardtop I can find on the Rimmer Bros site is for a Triumph Spitfire.
Title: Re: MGB factory hardtop question.
Post by: mgb260 on March 30, 2022, 10:36:50 AM
If it looks like the factory hardtop it is a copy by Honebourne molding.
MGBHardtop2.jpg
Title: Re: MGB factory hardtop question.
Post by: 1L-Loyd on April 16, 2022, 01:25:37 PM
Yes! That photo is what I was referencing in my original post. I like it because it is the same shape as the factory top, which in my opinion, looks great on the roadster.
Even though the quarter windows are what looks like fiberglass, they could possibly be painted a bright aluminum color and clear coated to look like the trim I have seen on a aged top!

Thanks to those of you who replied. My beloved wife still thinks I would complain about the entery and exit and only keep the car a short time like a few past fun vehicles I "had to have"! I figure life is short and I should spend the children's inheritance before they piss it away after I'm gone!!!
Get out there and have fun!