BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: donfaber on November 12, 2021, 12:32:47 PM

Title: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: donfaber on November 12, 2021, 12:32:47 PM
I have a 79B with 3.9L Rover V8 - it has what looks like a Delco-Remy Distributor, but no name tag that I can find. I want to install the Pertronix Ignitor. How can I find out what Distributor I have to properly select Pertronix parts?
V8Dist1.jpg
V8Dist2.jpg
V8Dist3.jpg
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: DiDueColpi on November 12, 2021, 05:48:43 PM
You have the small cap delco distributor.
PN 1181ls or 91181ls will fit.(1957 -1974 gm delco dist)
However for a few dollars more you can get a brand new billet pertronix vacuum advance dist. complete with cap and rotor. Speedway has it for $288.00
Make sure to match up the coil, or use theirs to prevent burning out the module and preserve the warranty.

Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: donfaber on November 13, 2021, 09:28:09 AM
Thanks!
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: MGBV8 on November 14, 2021, 10:43:37 AM
I would keep that Delco.
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: donfaber on November 14, 2021, 02:15:00 PM
That's my current plan....
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: MGBV8 on November 15, 2021, 12:12:44 PM
I have been using my OEM 1963 Buick 215 distributor for 20 years without issue.  The last 18 with a Pertronix module in it.
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: donfaber on November 16, 2021, 06:13:10 PM
thanks, Carl
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: donfaber on March 26, 2022, 12:55:39 PM
Just started installing the 91181LS ignitor in the Delco distributor installed in the 3.9L V8 - the screws that came out holding the points/condenser in place are a bit smaller than the new screws provided with the ignitor. And when I try to install the ignitor per Pertronix instructions (Location) it doesn't quite fit (but almost!). Any comments? I'd almost think the Delco Dizzy has metric dimensions while the pertronix ignitor is expecting english units? Suggestions, please.
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: MGBV8 on March 27, 2022, 09:30:58 AM
Mine is the 91181 Ignitor II.  Fit fine in my original Buick 215 dist.  That was a long time ago.  Heck, they may be made in China now.

If the unit does not line up with the holes in the breaker plate, I would pull that distributor & find the model numbers.  You need to know exactly what it is. Might be an offshore Delco replacement?
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: donfaber on March 27, 2022, 01:13:35 PM
Thanks for the tips, Carl.
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: donfaber on April 15, 2022, 08:37:53 PM
I mentioned the 91181LS doesn't fit in the Delco Remy installed. I've learned the braker plate came in multiple variations. In the attached pic, you can see the ground wire welded to the plate interferes with mounting the ignitor flat. There is also a pin to the left where the mounting screw should go. Any comments? There is no model number in the casting.
    Breaker plate # is 1 M 7 1111007; Vacuum Advance is M 182 16

Any suggestions for replacing the whole dizzy in the 3.9L Rover shortblock that I bought in 2007? I've sent the unit to Jeff at Advanced Distributors for help.
IMG_20220331_142739499.jpg
Title: Re: Pertronix Ignitor for Distributor
Post by: Moderator on April 16, 2022, 12:51:29 PM
QuoteI've sent the unit to Jeff at Advanced Distributors for help.

You're in good hands.