BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: teejay on June 09, 2020, 10:40:00 AM

Title: Muffler recommendations
Post by: teejay on June 09, 2020, 10:40:00 AM
First, thanks to all who have given me advice on the 3.4 build so far.  It's coming along!
Just to refresh:  95 Firebird 3.4, .030 overbore, Edelbrock cam, CCE headers, 390 Holley, single exhaust,
2-1/4.  I have listened to many of the posted You Tube videos of how various cars sound with this swap, but don't trust the sound representation on my computer--all I'm getting is confused

Now I am looking for recommendations on mufflers. Not loud, but throaty, no blatties please! I want to hear my music...Since the car is lowered, I am using just a single hopefully round ? at end of pipe, but am open to suggestions. Any you might have would be welcome.  I had a Peco system on my roadster, and loved the sound it made-- just as a reference.  Thanks again and...
Cheers!
Terry
Title: Re: Muffler recommendations
Post by: Moderator on June 09, 2020, 02:08:17 PM
Not round, but...

The best sounding muffler is undoubtedly the Thrush Turbo. It's got classic "tone". Dynomax's Super Turbo version has glass in it, and therefore is a little quieter, so I might swap to those if I ever start feeling old.
Title: Re: Muffler recommendations
Post by: Moderator on June 09, 2020, 06:51:52 PM
p.s. this might be helpful:
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Muffler-Selection.htm
Title: Re: Muffler recommendations
Post by: MGBV8 on June 10, 2020, 10:03:07 AM
Muffler chart.

MufflerComparisionChart.jpg
Title: Re: Muffler recommendations
Post by: wspohn on June 14, 2020, 04:24:14 PM
How high quality do you want?

Middle quality - Magnaflow

Top quality - Solo Performance - look at their QR series.  Bulletproof stainless steel.