BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: teejay on March 25, 2020, 10:18:09 PM

Title: choosing the right flywheel
Post by: teejay on March 25, 2020, 10:18:09 PM
Hello all, the 3.4 BGT  project is under way, and I am seeking some advice.
I am using a '95 Firebird 3.4, with 94 Camaro T5 and bellhousing, and want to know which
S10 flywheel is the right one to use?  Clutch will be stock Camaro (maybe with Ford disc),
probably with Howe HTOB.   I have  a '95 S10 flywheel now, but from a 2.2 so suspect that is
too small for the 10" Camaro clutch.  I am not opposed to buying new or used and resurfacing
and balancing with the clutch.  
Thanks for the help and
Cheers!
Terry
Title: Re: choosing the right flywheel
Post by: mgb260 on March 25, 2020, 11:48:28 PM
Terry, you need a S10 2.8 V6 148 tooth internal balance flywheel. Usually you would use the S10 pressure plate too. If you are using the Camaro pressure plate you can use the 3.4 flywheel too. People like the 2.8 bellhousing  to mount the T5 straight up instead of tilted. If you use a Ford T5 you need the Turbo 4 clutch disk.
Title: Re: choosing the right flywheel
Post by: teejay on March 26, 2020, 11:54:07 AM
Thanks, Jim.  I am using the Camaro bell housing and modifying the shifter for the tilted condition, since the bell housing came with tranny.
Title: Re: choosing the right flywheel
Post by: MGBV8 on March 27, 2020, 02:39:12 PM
Didn't come with a "bent" Camaro shifter?  ;)
Title: Re: choosing the right flywheel
Post by: teejay on March 27, 2020, 11:24:10 PM
Hey Carl, I'm working on that....maybe Max can help??
Title: Re: choosing the right flywheel
Post by: seattlepirate50 on April 17, 2020, 09:39:44 PM
I have a 3.4 stock resurfaced flywheel you can have for the postage.  I have no idea how much that might be. I had it resurfaced then decided to go with a lightened flywheel from BMC

Chuck
Title: Re: choosing the right flywheel
Post by: wspohn on June 14, 2020, 04:33:11 PM
I use the GM T5 and have no difficulty with the shifter being slightly offset.

https://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/dashz.jpg