BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: rficalora on January 11, 2009, 11:08:53 AM

Title: Canvas tops
Post by: rficalora on January 11, 2009, 11:08:53 AM
Who are the sources for RV8 style tops in canvas?  Since the top seems to be the item with the fewest color choices, I need to get some color samples of the tans, beiges, camel colors, etc. so I can finalize the body & interior stuff.  I have samples from Prestige -- one could work, but it's not quite what I was after.  I also have an email into Evan Amaya to see where he got his.  Any other leads/sources would be appreciated.
Title: Re: Canvas tops
Post by: MGBV8 on January 11, 2009, 01:05:47 PM
Evan is an MGOC dealer/distributor. I think that's where he got it.
Title: Re: Canvas tops
Post by: rficalora on January 11, 2009, 09:55:53 PM
I traded a few mails with Evan this afternoon.  He got his from Prestige.  He said they'll make it in whatever color fabric you want or if you get the fabric, you can send it to them & they'll make it... I'm going to call in the morning & see if they'll still do that.  I'm pretty sure sunbrella & a couple of similar fabrics come in a color that'd work well.
Title: Re: Canvas tops
Post by: jimbb88 on January 13, 2009, 09:39:25 PM
The best quality canvas top I ever bought  or saw was by Robbins- also the most expensive.

I was never satisfied with my top from Prestige. The fit was barley OK, pretty skimpy around the door windows, and the finish was poor. None of the seams were bound and the top was not double sticthed. I believe if you saw the Robbins and Prestige side by side you would find the difference very striking.

As a top you didn't plan to use much, the Prestige is fine, especially if you have a hard top for winter. In my opinion, even the Prestige is better than most vinyls, as the canvass will not shrink.