BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: Mickey Richaud on June 17, 2019, 07:47:25 PM

Title: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: Mickey Richaud on June 17, 2019, 07:47:25 PM
Janet has a new toy.  And I have a couple of MGBs that will be needing a new home.

After much deliberation and see-sawing, we decided to look for a car that we can both drive and enjoy.  I restored the '73 B several years ago for Janet, but she's only driven it a couple of times.  Way back when, she drove manual transmissions, but has gotten "lazy" and spoiled with automatics.  So, we started talking about finding something she'd like, and the XK was tops on her list.

We found this one locally, an '03 model, and at first thought it was really too good to be true.  But true it is!  Less than 17,000 miles on it, and absolutely pristine.  Owned by an elderly couple who bought it in '05 with 4500 miles on it back then.  A two-owner car, and the second owner put less than 13,000 miles on it in 14 years.  

So, the '73 Black Tulip convertible will be on the market soon, as well as my '69 GT V6 conversion.  Not a decision made in haste - I have really enjoyed building these two cars and driving them - especially the GT!  But I now have the TF replica to play with, and the XK8 is one fantastic machine!
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: kstevusa on June 17, 2019, 08:08:25 PM
Great looking car, Mickey. Both of you will be very pleased.  Learning the "Bell & Whistles" will take a while.  Just remember it is a 2003 and components age whether they are driven or not .  Enjoy the ride!
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: Mickey Richaud on June 18, 2019, 07:25:54 AM
Thanks, Kelly.  Janet drove it home yesterday and had the biggest smile I've seen on her in quite a while!  And, yes, there are so many gadgets we have to learn about.  But that's half the fun!
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: MGBV8 on June 18, 2019, 10:42:16 AM
Ha, it wasn't driven cause they didn't want to clean the interior.  ;)

Very nice.  I could drive one of those.
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: Dan B on June 18, 2019, 12:31:14 PM
Post prices and other information so we can share about your Bs. Congratulations on the kitty. It should be a lot of fun.
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: Mickey Richaud on June 18, 2019, 03:01:17 PM
Carl - you may be right about cleaning the interior.  But the ivory leather is perfect.

Dan - thanks.  I'm working on deciding what to ask for each of them.  Pretty tough exercise, as there's so much of "me" in both of them and it's hard to stay objective.
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: RMO 699F on June 18, 2019, 03:24:57 PM
Hmmmmm..do I see a trend here? Kelly and now Mickey are now among the exclusive JAAAGGG-U- AAAAR  elite! (along with Merv of course) Given that their status has been elevated to such heights...I am surprised they are still willing to be seen with us...chuckle...
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: Mickey Richaud on June 18, 2019, 04:49:12 PM
Mike:  "elevated status" in this instance = AGE!
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: MGBV8 on June 18, 2019, 07:38:34 PM
What's that joke about the difference between a porcupine & a Jag owner?   Oh yeah, I think that was for Porsche & BMW owners.  ;)
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on June 18, 2019, 07:56:48 PM
Add Ken to that group too. His "R" moves out smartly. Wouldn't mind considering that myself.

Jim
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: MGBV8 on June 18, 2019, 09:16:09 PM
Ken Nicks?  Oh, I can' wait to tell him that joke.  :)
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: RMO 699F on June 18, 2019, 09:23:04 PM
As Mickey so poigantly points out...AGE seems to be the underlying reason for some of us transitioning to more "more civilized" sports/performance vehicles....in my case the Arkleys and Brunton Stalker are long gone...now down to my mgbgt...still really enjoy it but do not drive it as much...might be the reason I purchased an inexpensive z3 last year as a "go to"  sports car...just musing...
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: Merv on June 20, 2019, 09:31:42 PM
Mickey, I understand that you move WAY WAY UP THERE in class when you own a JAAAGGG-U- AAAAR.
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: mowog1 on June 21, 2019, 01:05:58 AM
Pete Mantell also has an XK8.

And........we have XK8 wheels on the Roadmaster.
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: Mickey Richaud on June 21, 2019, 06:37:36 AM
Touche', M'sieur Merv!
Title: Re: Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on June 21, 2019, 09:44:20 AM
Not to mention XJ6 rear suspension. (Which I also have on my MGB btw.)

But there's no denying, Jaguar has made some downright sexy cars. Still and all for the most part they are vastly improved with a Buick cardiac transplant.

Jim