BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: jgranter on January 09, 2009, 10:55:37 AM

Title: Flaming River Sterring Column
Post by: jgranter on January 09, 2009, 10:55:37 AM
Does anyone know what length Flaming river sterring column I should use in a MGB GT (1974.5) conversion?

I am using the fast cars front end with a 5.0 V8
Title: Re: Flaming River Sterring Column
Post by: 74ls1tr6 on January 09, 2009, 11:28:52 AM
Check out Dan Masters setup as the Flaming River steering column is being used.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/DanMasters.htm
Title: Re: Flaming River Sterring Column
Post by: Moderator on January 09, 2009, 12:00:54 PM
I don't know what length column Ted uses... but something to notice about how the Flaming River column is installed on Dan's car (and Terry Schulte's car too) is that the steering universal joint has been moved to the cabin side of the firewall. If you put the u-joint on the exterior side, you'll probably want/need a different length column. Also, the distance of the wheel from the dashboard is a matter of personal preference. I have rather long legs so I moved my seat, steering wheel, and shifter rearward from the stock position.
Title: Re: Flaming River Sterring Column
Post by: jgranter on January 09, 2009, 12:06:01 PM
Curtis

Thanks for the info.

I never noticed the U joint was inside of the cabin.  I will look at putting that joint in the engine compartment in order to keep a good seal between the engine compartment and cabin.

Regards

Jeff
Title: Re: Flaming River Sterring Column
Post by: danmas on January 09, 2009, 12:42:00 PM
Jeff,

Mine is a 28" unit. Sealing the floorboard is not a problem. If you run the outer column through the floorboard, you'll have space problems for the u-joint. If you extend the inner column through the floorboard, it'll be harder to seal, as the inner column is a D-shaft, whereas the lower shaft can be round, making it easier to seal.

Getting the wheel further rearward isn't a problem; getting it forward is. There's a long distance from the rounded portion of the column to the steering wheel, due to the tapered transition part and the space required for the "guts" of the turn signals, tilt mechanism, etc. To get the wheel closer to the dash means you'll have to have a large cutout in the lower edge of the dash.

Lots to think about, and lots of planning, measuring, measuring, and measuring to do.
DanMasters-GD.jpg
DanMasters-GE.jpg
Title: Re: Flaming River Sterring Column
Post by: MGB SS on January 09, 2009, 04:25:02 PM
Curtis

Good eye I never knew that the u-joint was in the cabin and I have looked both of these cars over quite a bit.

A tilt column is one of the upgrades still on my list.

Joe
Title: Re: Flaming River Sterring Column
Post by: jgranter on January 15, 2009, 03:03:56 PM
Thank Dan

I have changed over the pedal assembly to a Wilwood unit. (master cylinders out front) so I may have some extra room to slide the seat and sterring column back. I am using Miata seats so I do have some flexibility on where they are placed.

I like the bulkhead seal you used.  Is it custum made?

Jeff
Title: Re: Flaming River Sterring Column
Post by: Preform Resources on January 22, 2009, 03:01:36 PM
If you look in some of the street rod mags ,there are advertisers that sell that tilt with turn signal column for around $300.00 some even less if they are having a sale.
Dave Craddock
Title: Re: Flaming River Sterring Column
Post by: danmas on January 22, 2009, 05:22:17 PM
"I like the bulkhead seal you used. Is it custum made? "

Jeff,

Yes, it was made by Terry at Fast Cars.