BritishV8 Forum

General Category => Engine, Transmission, & Rear Axle assy. => Topic started by: murray.arnold on September 19, 2018, 12:15:18 AM

Title: HOLLEY CARB CONVERSION
Post by: murray.arnold on September 19, 2018, 12:15:18 AM
Good day all. I have already posted a message over the last week regarding a carb conversion to my V8 MGB. So with the input of a few of you, including useful links, I have now worked out a few things. Firstly my carb (Holley 4 barrel 8007)has been installed back to front. No wonder I can do 100mph in reverse, ha. Anyway, this is easily rectified. I also now know that my 3 speed box is a Borg Warner BW65. I now have a good idea as to what I need to do to address the engines breathing issues.
I have now also purchased a new BW65 kick down cable, new oil strainer and gaskets and oil. Only one thing is left that I need help with. Thats the kick down linkage for the carb. I have emailed reel steel twice and they have not responded. Also Holley said they don't deal with European cars. Which I think was very unhelpful TBH.

Can some kind soul help me sort out the linkage issue. Oh and here's a thing. What if after all this the kick down doesn't work. What if after all this time its a gearbox issue. And if so, would there be a common fault that's a simple fix.

Many thanks guys for all your time.

PS. I am in Kuwait and the cars in Croatia, which makes fault finding not exactly easy.
Title: Re: HOLLEY CARB CONVERSION
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on September 19, 2018, 01:34:22 AM
Might find something here"
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetor_components/brackets_and_linkage/

The arm should pull the cable when the throttle opens of course, so it is attached below the throttle shaft.

Jim
Title: Re: HOLLEY CARB CONVERSION
Post by: murray.arnold on September 19, 2018, 03:47:14 AM
Hi Jim. I have no doubt I will end up having to modify something. How much travel is expected to operate the kickdown. 1 inch or less? I see many different attachments for the kick down. I am sure a bit of engineering will resolve it.
Title: Re: HOLLEY CARB CONVERSION
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on September 19, 2018, 12:04:08 PM
Once you have the pan off measure the travel of the piston and match that at the carb. Make your housing mount adjustable so you can change the shift point.

Jim
Title: Re: HOLLEY CARB CONVERSION
Post by: 88v8 on September 19, 2018, 04:06:15 PM
Kuwait? Croatia?? Caramba.
I just posted a linkage here http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?6,63288

Real Steel aren't very good at computers. You might do better to ring them.

Ivor
Title: Re: HOLLEY CARB CONVERSION
Post by: murray.arnold on September 20, 2018, 01:17:25 AM
thanks Ivor. Got your message and replied.