BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: harv8 on March 29, 2018, 01:58:16 AM

Title: Buick 215 oil pan
Post by: harv8 on March 29, 2018, 01:58:16 AM
I have always believed that Buick 215 engines and Rover 3500 engines require a Rover SD1 oil  (sump) pan in order to fit over the MGB  front suspension crossmember. Has anyone successfully used a Rover P6 or Buick 215 oil pan in their MGB V8 conversion?

Cheers,
Martyn
Title: Re: Buick 215 oil pan
Post by: ex-tyke on March 29, 2018, 09:26:07 AM
Can't speak for Buick but the my Olds 215 worked with the original OEM pan.
Title: Re: Buick 215 oil pan
Post by: MGBV8 on March 29, 2018, 10:59:18 AM
I am using the OEM Buick 215 oil pan on my '79.  I believe it would be fine on a CB car, as well.

There is one thing I really do not like.  There is a huge nut welded inside.  So, it captures pieces/parts instead of them draining out for inspection.  I had broken piston skirt pieces in my pan & no evidence of it when draining the oil.
Title: Re: Buick 215 oil pan
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on March 29, 2018, 05:42:43 PM
The Buick pan works fine on a CB car.
Title: Re: Buick 215 oil pan
Post by: tr8todd on March 30, 2018, 07:53:49 AM
The Buick/Olds pan is slightly bigger than the SD1.  I can post photos if need be.  Just tried but they were too big for the site.  Can try again later.  I have SD1, Buick, steel 4.0, aluminum 4.6, and a dry sump pan that I can take pics of.
Title: Re: Buick 215 oil pan
Post by: MGBV8 on March 30, 2018, 10:30:29 AM
From Google images it looks like the SD1 has a bit more capacity than the Buick 215 sump.
Title: Re: Buick 215 oil pan
Post by: v8mgb on March 31, 2018, 10:29:40 PM
A great oil pan gasket alternative to the Felpro cork gasket is
Best Basket PN 20028, Bestgasket.com

I just checked eBay and there $21.
Title: Re: Buick 215 oil pan
Post by: harv8 on April 03, 2018, 05:54:23 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses, much appreciated!!!