BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: rvrana on February 25, 2018, 06:54:09 PM

Title: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Post by: rvrana on February 25, 2018, 06:54:09 PM
Guys

I have a 1979 MGB with a Rover P6 motor.  My wife has asked me to install A/C on the car if we are going to make any long drives in the future, IE - MG 2018.  I have the original 4 cyl A/C kit from the car but need to mount a pulley, compressor, and condenser on the V8 motor.  I was talking to D&D about their compressor bracket and changing out my rover harmonic balancer to their Buick 215 model (even sent them the balancer).  They sent the balancer back with a note "parts no longer available" and do not answer calls or email so I need to go another route.  Does anybody have any suggestions on a compressor mount and compressor for my Rover motor.  I think I can get a pulley made to fit the harmonic balancer once I have the compressor set up installed.  

If anybody has suggestions/pictures on how to mount the condenser that would be great.

Please contact me off line so as not to clog up the forum
Ralph Vrana
Rvrana@vrana.us
Title: Re: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Post by: Dan B on February 25, 2018, 07:12:18 PM
Hi Ralph and welcome to BritishV8!  There are a lot LOT of guys here who have AC on their V8 MGBs.  You should go through the gallery and see how they have done it. Just go the the gallery and select MGB and look for the Buick or Rover engines.  Like this:  http://www.britishv8.org/MG/MikeAlexander.htm
Title: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Post by: rvrana on February 25, 2018, 10:08:57 PM
 -- moved topic --
Title: Re: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on February 27, 2018, 10:43:26 AM
I made custom brackets for mine so can't help that much, but check with Rick (Mowog1), I'm pretty sure he sourced a bracket somewhere that uses a Sanden compressor and V-belt. Use the biggest condenser you can mount.

Jim
Title: Re: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Post by: psmg on March 01, 2018, 08:21:32 PM
Hi Ralph, it's great to know you're still involved with the MGV8 hobby. We haven't heard from you in a while. I'm the fellow that purchased a Webaso Roof from you back in Cleveland around 20 years ago. I was trying to decide weather to install air conditioning at that time and you mentioned you had a roof panel with the "fold back" roof and brought it the next day. I bought it and threw it in the back seat of my Bonneville and the rest is history. The car was completed and now is owned by Allan Moor in Tipp City, Ohio.
Title: Re: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Post by: mowog1 on March 01, 2018, 09:23:34 PM
I sourced my compressor bracket through D&D in Michigan.

ACCompressorBracket_a.jpg

ACCompressorBracket_b.jpg

ACCompressorBracketInstalled.jpg

ACCompressorBracketw_compressor.jpg
Title: Re: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Post by: lawnvett on March 04, 2018, 10:50:33 AM
here's how Pete Mantell did this Moss A/C in a 1974 BGT with a 3.4 V6fullsizeoutput_ced.jpeg
Title: Re: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Post by: Gehirn on March 23, 2021, 07:55:58 AM
I have a similar project in mind and I wonder if I will be able to put an aluminum AC in my car. I had no issue with installing an aluminum copper coil air condition in my house after I took advice from a few best home appliances reviews (https://hellodiya.in/find-the-ac-for-you-split-type-or-window-type/) that I read. Apparently they are much easier to change in case your face issues with them and since I do a lot of miles with my car I was thinking that it would be cheaper in the long run to keep fixing the air condition rather than changing it. All I need to know now is how the actual installation can be done by yourself and I'm good to go.
Title: Re: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Post by: rficalora on March 23, 2021, 09:45:41 PM
What do you mean by aluminum AC?
Title: Re: V8 air conditioning compressor instalation help
Post by: MGB567 on April 04, 2021, 01:09:00 AM
"Does anybody have any suggestions on a compressor mount and compressor for my Rover motor. I think I can get a pulley made to fit the harmonic balancer once I have the compressor set up installed. "

I have a GM/R4 compressor. I also have the brackets from a 3500 (I think) but couldn't get them to fit or line up with my water pump and balancer pulleys so I fabricated my own bracket to mount on the RHS bank  (as you look at it)  - the four pulleys line up and I need no idler and one (serpentine) belt, I have detailed all this on MGE Swaps. (I have a large electric puller fan as even with moving the radiator forward there was insufficient room for the viscous coupling.)

If anybody has suggestions/pictures on how to mount the condenser that would be great.

My condenser sits in the tray where the oil cooler used to be - I'm not using a cooler on my 5l. Again that's all detailed over on MGE but mostly on the main forum as I have a bespoke radiator that I detailed there along with pics.

My a/c is from Vintage Air.