BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: rficalora on January 25, 2018, 02:51:56 PM

Title: Anyone familiar with motor wiring?
Post by: rficalora on January 25, 2018, 02:51:56 PM
I had to move my 7.5hp, 80 gallon compressor to the new house myself.  With the come-alongs I had & the size of my garage rafters, I had to remove the pump & motor to lift it onto the trailer...  thought I took a picture of the wiring but I either remember wrong or accidentally deleted it :(.  Most of the wires are clear, but two are not.  When I wired it the way I thought it went, the motor buzzed loudly when I turned it on.  (Shut it off pretty quickly so hope nothing got damaged.)

Below is a picture of the wiring.  I'm assuming the R1's & B1's get tied together (respectively).  I thought both the smaller yellow wires (T5 & 8?) were tied together with one of the power legs, but per above, that's not right.  Anyone know where those go?

Goal is to have motor work & spin counter clockwise.

Have googled a bit but haven't found a diagram (motor is a Leeson 7.5Hp single voltage (220); single phase motor)

CompressorMotorWiring.jpg
Title: Re: Anyone familiar with motor wiring?
Post by: Jim Stabe on January 25, 2018, 06:18:40 PM
I know it's not helping but I always make some tape flags to mark wires when I have to take them apart. Have yuu tried the manufacturer?
Title: Re: Anyone familiar with motor wiring?
Post by: 74ls1tr6 on January 25, 2018, 06:40:21 PM
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-ac-dc/388634-need-help-electric-motor-wiring.html

Maybe this will help.

So maybe R1 to R1

B1 to B1

5 to R1

8 to B1

or switch 5 and 8 if it is not going in ccw rotation?

The buzzing you had I think, the motor didn't know what way to rotate being tied together on one leg.
Title: Re: Anyone familiar with motor wiring?
Post by: rficalora on January 25, 2018, 09:22:03 PM
That was it Calvin!  It's working again.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Anyone familiar with motor wiring?
Post by: Charles on January 25, 2018, 09:46:56 PM
Rob, Leeson motors are sold buy Northern Tools. I found a diagram on there site, might look there. Another thought, there may be a diagram on the box cover.
regards
charles
Title: Re: Anyone familiar with motor wiring?
Post by: 74ls1tr6 on January 26, 2018, 12:19:24 PM
Great! , I'm glad it worked out :)
Title: Re: Anyone familiar with motor wiring?
Post by: billymgb1000 on February 06, 2018, 05:56:01 PM
Calvin You da man!!!!