BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: Al Moor on August 17, 2017, 09:29:24 PM

Title: British V8 2018 Warm Up contest
Post by: Al Moor on August 17, 2017, 09:29:24 PM
Every now and then I have a really good idea.  I'm pretty sure this isn't one of them.  I propose a contest.  For those of you who may have an extra day or two, and are somewhat disappointed by the lack of drives in the Ohio flatlands, I challenge you to come up with a cool gathering point a day (or two) prior to the meet to shoot the breeze, then engage in an exhilarating drive to the British V8 meet in Dayton.  Is it Louisville?  Lexington?  Charleston? hmmm...

Rules:
- Entries are made via reply to this thread.
- A committee will be established to judge the entries (this is me stirring the pot)
- The final 3 or 4 entries will be put to a vote on April 1, 2018 (is there a better day?)
- I will attend and provide refreshments at the properly elected locale (on me, no club funds involved)

Let the fun begin. This is going to be AWESOME.

Cheers,
Al
Title: Re: British V8 2018 Warm Up contest
Post by: Scott Costanzo on August 18, 2017, 01:21:16 AM
Ok Al,

I'll propose we keep an Ohio theme and try to dispel the notion that all of Ohio is flat and boring. So my idea is to meet in a tbd hotel in southeast Ohio on Tuesday night to party and then take a planned route on some of Ohio's best twisty roads toward Dayton on Wednesday morning. I'm sure I could pick the brains of the guys who organize the annual Riverrun tour for some great roads to take. Maybe we could give the guys from Kentucky or West Virginia a thrill and stay on the their side of the Ohio River and take a ferry across back to Ohio in the morning to start our day out? That would be a good photo op with a bunch of conversions on a ferry. This is all high-level at this point which is what I believe you're looking for to start?
Title: Re: British V8 2018 Warm Up contest
Post by: mowog1 on August 18, 2017, 08:34:56 AM
But the guys from the Flatlands of Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas appreciate the twisties even more than the guys for Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia.
Title: Re: British V8 2018 Warm Up contest
Post by: Scott Costanzo on August 18, 2017, 10:16:01 AM
QuoteBut the guys from the Flatlands of Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas appreciate the twisties even more than the guys for Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia.

Hi Rick, it is intended for everyone especially for people not from this part of the country. Didn't mean to imply otherwise.
Title: Re: British V8 2018 Warm Up contest
Post by: kstevusa on August 18, 2017, 12:12:58 PM
Scott's idea of Ferry shot sounds great.  Appears Google only shows 2 ferries on KY-Oh River border and only 1 is close to Cincy.  Hope some one can suggest a Warm-Up location that provides that option.  Can't get too much further west than Cincy.
South east is getting to be a long drive  (late start and early Hotel arrival) are considerations taken into account on previous Warm-ups.  Perhaps Jim Blackwood has some suggestions for a location in his general area?  Al, I like the way you think!
Title: Re: British V8 2018 Warm Up contest
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on August 18, 2017, 05:29:14 PM
We have the Anderson ferry on the west side of town, with a nice drive down the escarpment to get to it, but not much to brag on otherwise on either side of the river. Well, a born native might disagree, I'm a bit jaundiced. If you went out of your way you might find some fairly nice roads.

It seems like there might be a ferry somewhere between Galopolis and Pittsburgh? But then I think Scott's hilly area is south of that. The idea is a good one, but it sounds like a bit of a drive from the hilly part of the state to where a ferry might be.

Jim
Title: Re: British V8 2018 Warm Up contest
Post by: rficalora on August 18, 2017, 05:38:18 PM
I haven't had a chance to do research yet, but I'll be looking for someplace that is in route from Southern & Western locations -- so our drives can be broken up a bit :).
Title: Re: British V8 2018 Warm Up contest
Post by: ex-tyke on August 18, 2017, 05:52:42 PM
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM246Z_Augusta_Ferry__Higginsport_OH
Title: Re: British V8 2018 Warm Up contest
Post by: Dan B on August 18, 2017, 06:43:29 PM
http://andersonferry.org is the site for ferry Jim is talking about.  There is also a ferry from WV into Ohio from Sistersville to Fly, Ohio. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistersville_Ferry which could be a good option for folks wanting to travel from the northeast.  I am more familiar with the WV side of the river, but I understand that there is a nice covered bridge loop near the Sistersville ferry area on the Ohio side.
Title: Re: British V8 2018 Warm Up contest
Post by: RMO 699F on August 18, 2017, 07:52:41 PM
Interesting thread...May not be a bad idea to wait a while to get a better idea of where (what direction) most people are traveling from..