The British V8 meet for 2018 will be held July 11-15 in Dayton Ohio at the Holiday Inn Dayton/Fairborn across the street from Wright State University. The plan is to have an aircraft-themed weekend with visits to The Museum of the United States Air Force, WACO field, and various historically significant sites in and around Dayton. The room rate is $104 + tax which, while higher than in the last couple years, is still a very good deal at a very nice, newly remodeled hotel.
About the hotel:
Dates: July 11-15, 2018 (Arrival on Wednesday the 11th, Banquet on Saturday the 14th, check out on Sunday the 15th)
Parking: We will have exclusive use of the hotel's side parking lot. They'll cordon if off for us. There will be a wash station set up for us as well.
Each room has a refrigerator, microwave, Keurig coffee maker, and free wi-fi. All rooms have been remodeled within the last 3 years and are very nice.
To make your reservation, you can call the hotel directly (937) 426-7800 and use the group name "British V8" or "BV8". Or, you can visit this link: [https://www.holidayinn.com/redirect?path=hd&brandCode=hi&localeCode=en®ionCode=1&hotelCode=FBNPD&_PMID=99801505&GPC=BV8&viewfullsite=true]. If you set the check in date to July 11, 2018 the BV8 group code will automatically be applied.
The $104 is for any room type (except suites). There is no charge for multiple occupancy up to 5/room. The rate is good for 3 days before and 3 days after the event. Reservations need to be made by June 11, 2018 to get the group rate.
Hotel has a restaurant and bar. I was there a couple weeks ago during happy hour. The drink special was free Yeungling drafts. That's right; free. Now THAT's what I call a happy hour :)
Breakfast is NOT included, but the hotel provides a breakfast buffet for $8.95. There are a lot of restaurants close by as well (IHOP, Bob Evans, etc.).
More on the itinerary later. But, I just wanted to give everyone enough notice to plan for it.
Cheers,
Al
Al - great info, thanks. Clarifying so I can get time blocked on the calendar.. Safe to assume 11th is arrival, banquet 14th, departure 15th?
I'm sure we can add a warm-up somewhere also, which we enjoy seeing our friends for more time.
Oh Phil we may come early :)
Al ...Thanks for stepping up to the plate for 2018 with great information upfront!!
Calvin & Brenda crossing the Country again? Awesome!
To clarify, I answered Rob's question via PM and updated the post to provide the requested info.
Al
Calvin,
You and Brenda know you're always welcome for as long as you like!
Phil
Yeah but you live in Toledo, Phil. ;)
Yep, I think it was John Denver that sang he "spent a week there one day". Cruising around the Lake Erie shore ain't a bad way to spend the day:)
I spent a lifetime there one winter...
Jim
While attending Bowling Green U in the early 60's...you could usually find my roomates and me at the Bamboo Club in Toledo every other weekend...it was the "home" club for Johnny and the Hurricanes...who recorded such "great" hits as "Crossfire" and Red River Rock"....yeah, I know...I am the only guy on the thread who remembers...chuckle...
I've been to the Bamboo Club.
Jim
I remember Johnny and the Hurricanes . Those were the days .
I just spent 2-1/2 days in Dayton.
It's going to be a great venue.
Those of you who have never been to the National Museum of the United States Air Force are in for a treat. Just don't expect to see it all in one day.
I do highly recommend that you consider getting "vetted" for a tour of the Restoration Hangar (which is on base). This tour is only available on Fridays and takes about 2-1/2 hours. It is limited to about 50 people...and you will be competing with John Q Public for seats. I don't believe the signup for next spring/summer is available yet online...but I'll remind you as time grows closer.
While the Memphis Belle will no longer be in the hangar as its restoration should be complete and she is scheduled to be place on permanent static display in the WWII wing of the museum on May 17, 2018....there is a plethora of other planes that are being restored, amongst them "The Swoose", a B-17 piloted by the father of actress Swoozie Kurtz.
I also found a great Irish Pub on Fourth Street in Downtown Dayton. It was fittingly called the "Dublin Pub".
RickandMemphisBelle_a.jpg
RickandMemphisBelleOverheadTurret.jpg
RickandMemphisBelleBellyTurret.jpg
We can now make reservations at the hotel. I've already made mine. You don't have to pay until you arrive. I updated the first post with the appropriate information. Also, the occupancy limit for a twin double room is 5, not 4. The king room max occupancy is 4.
QuoteWe can now make reservations at the hotel. I've already made mine
Moi, aussi!
Just reserved our room.
As I prefer talking to a real person, I phoned the number that Alan provided...be aware that you will be transferred to a national reservations desk...no problem, but I would have preferred someone local. Just a quirk of mine.
FYI....suites are $129 + tax per night (IHG Priority Club Rate) and our rate of $104 + tax for other rooms was indeed in their system.
Jean and I will be arriving on Wednesday (7/11) and departing on Sunday (7/15).
Looking forward to this meet!
Room booked!
I'm also really looking forward to it!
Figured you would just commute, Scott. ;)
Looking forward to this event and seeing everyone......we will do our best to make it a great experience!
QuoteFigured you would just commute, Scott. ;)
😊 No, don't want to miss a second, it goes by way too fast as it is!
We plan to attend, will book room later.
I would book a room now....this block of rooms will go fast.
Thanks, will do ASAP. All ready looking fwd to this event.
Room booked. Very easy to do online using the link Al provided.
We're in - room booked.
We're booked also, Did it the HARD Way :-)
We're booked.
Booked.
Another idea for the Dayton Meet.
http://www.americaspackardmuseum.com/
That is a great museum Carl....one we will take a strong look at...here is another relatively unknown gem only about a mile from the Packard Museum
https://www.britishtransportationmuseum.org/
The Packard Museum was suggested by Larry Peck, a member of our Morristown LBC club. He plans to attend our Dayton meet.
I have reserved a room, See y'all there!
Just booked our room.
Just made our reservations.
We're booked.
I reserved My room today. First time I have reserved early!
Good News Larry, look fwd to seeing you again.
Booked my room yesterday. I'm being an optimist, I've lost track of the number of times that I've had to cancel. Hope to see everyone there.
Rick, I enjoyed your comments on the Memphis Belle. I used to work with a fellow who's father was the top turret gunner on the Belle. His name( was Harold Locke and for many years he was the (I think) Register of Deeds for Brown County WI. His son Vince had the actual films from the US tour. Great stuff.
Mr.Johanski! How have you been??!?!?!?!
Going to be any performance events?
Autocross, rally, drags, anything??
Yes we are looking into autocross, rally, anything :). There are a couple options, but it's hard to do much until we roll into a new year and the local facilities start building out their calendars. Autocross is definitely an option. Another is a local club who "welcomes all comers" to a local track. But again, can't really do much until 2018.
So yes, we are definitely planning on doing something, just too early to say what, exactly.
-Al
Have the time frame blocked off, wife is becoming acceptable to the idea of a 5000+ mile round trip in an old car and I DID enjoy meeting a lot of you in the Colorado Springs meetup. I think my Rover 3500S is up for the trek needing primarily a few cosmetics only currently. (A/C is also a plus compared to the V6 MGB roadster).
Booked! Carol and I will def be there this year. Dilemna...which V8 to bring?
Why only one?
Martyn,
Looks to me like you have 3 cars and 2 drivers. Shouldn't the question be, which one to leave at home?
reservation made, maybe we'll get a convoy of NC V8-ers together for the drive north west together, anyone interested pls text or call or email
pj lenihan
tybeeislandstandintinh20MGGROUP.jpg
Booked a room today!! Can't come soon enough.
Now just need to get car back together, and the fender fixed!
Brenda and I have a room booked.
Jim Legg , you are more than welcome to caravan with us going east?
Working on both cars, Brenda's ride probably won't make it but the 6 will.
I'll be there with Scott as usual.
We reserved a room. Is there a registration form?
Registration form will be available first part of March. We are building the schedule of events now.
-Al
GREAT......Happy to see the event being near the center of the country....! I will be attending my first such event and really looking forward to seeing the other V8 cars.....!
Ron Hourigan
Any word on registration?
Mike
Registration forms for the event are very close to completion and will be posted soon!
IMPORTANT NOTE FROM ALAN AND MIKE!!!
*****************************************************
WE ARE VERY CLOSE ON THE FORM....HOWEVER, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER EITHER ON LINE OR BY REGULAR MAIL ..THE FORM IS NOT CORRECT AT THIS TIME!
1.The form cannot be downloaded and submitted as it is now on line
2. The regular mail address is NOT correct for those who would send the registration/money by regular mail
3. A couple changes need to be made to the itinerary
AS SOON AS THESE ITEMS HAVE BEEN CORRECTED WE WILL LET YOU KNOW IMMEDIATELY SO THAT YOU CAN START SUBMITTING
THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE!!
Registration site is up and running. Please see https://www.britishv8meet.org
Thanks for your patience. If you have any problems at all, please send an email to britishv8.2018@gmail.com.
Thanks,
Al
Woot!
I'm registered!
See you in Dayton!
Have YOU registered yet? <grin>
Yep. Just now :).
I am registered and looking forward to the event.
Al and others who organized this, Thank You!
Registered.
Looking forward to it
Registered. Can't wait to see everyone.
Same. Registered and looking forward to catching up with everyone.
Those of you who have not visited the Museum of the United States Air Force.....are in for a treat!
WWI planes....WWII planes....Cold War planes....Experimental planes....rockets....residential planes.....
The Memphis Belle restoration is completed, going on display inside the museum in about two weeks.
RickandP-40.jpg
RickandMemphisBelle_a.jpg
RickandMemphisBelleBellyTurret.jpg
RickandMemphisBelleOverheadTurret.jpg
I've added a "Registered So Far" menu item on the britishv8meet.org site, so you can check back there at any time.
Registered so far:
Rick Ingram
Graham Creswick
Charles Long
Rob Ficalora
Jim Miller
Michael Maloney
Phil McConnell
Ken Hiebert
Merv Hagen
Bill Yobi
Paul Schils
Ralph Ratta
Sent in my registration & check yesterday.
We'll be there also, just completed registration online. Friend and Sandy requires a more passenger friendly car, will drive the Rogue. Looking fwd to seeing all the past friends and new ones also.
Brenda and I are registered, looking forward to see friends and making new ones!!
If your Mac is so old there's not a right mouse click (pre-OS9 I believe) you can get a right click by using control-click. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207700
Bobbi and I are looking forward to seeing y'all.
IMG_0313.GIF
Nice!
We're up to 25 now. Register if you haven't already :)
Alan Moor Tipp City Ohio
Rick Ingram Saint Joseph Illinois
Graham Creswick Chatham Ontario
Charles Long Mc Donald Tennessee
Rob Ficalora Willis Texas
Jim Miller Saint Joseph Michigan
Michael Maloney Tipp City Ohio
Phil McConnell Perrysburg Ohio
Ken Hiebert Toronto Ontario
Merv Hagen Dundee Illinois
Bill Yobi Canfield Ohio
Paul Schils Fredonia Wisconsin
Ralph Ratta China Spring Texas
Mickey Richaud Townsend Tennessee
Mike Moor Angola Indiana
Kelly Stevenson Fayetteville Tennessee
Tim Terry Conway South Carolina
Calvin Grannis Elk Grove California
Greg McCann Surfside Beach South Carolina
Steve Carrick Byron Center Michigan
Roger Haber Okotoks Alberta
Robert Milks Hendersonville North Carolina
Ted Lathrop Wayland Michigan
Ed Peppard Woodlawn Tennessee
Artie Clark Huntington Station New York
Fiona and I just made our reservations for the 10th of July. Long grueling drive! We look forward to seeing everyone
there. It's been a long grueling winter here!
Roger Haber
DSC_0559.JPG
Looking forward to seeing you & Fiona & your B again, Roger!
Awesome news, Roger! You are going to LOVE Dayton!
America's newest bombardier...in the catbird seat of the B-17, Aluminum Overcast
BombardierRick.jpg
As of 5/10, here's the list. 27 so far.
Alan Moor Tipp City Ohio
Rick Ingram Saint Joseph Illinois
Graham Creswick Chatham Ontario
Charles Long Mc Donald Tennessee
Rob Ficalora Willis Texas
Jim Miller Saint Joseph Michigan
Michael Maloney Tipp City Ohio
Phil McConnell Perrysburg Ohio
Ken Hiebert Toronto Ontario
Merv Hagen Dundee Illinois
Bill Yobi Canfield Ohio
Paul Schils Fredonia Wisconsin
Ralph Ratta China Spring Texas
Mickey Richaud Townsend Tennessee
Mike Moor Angola Indiana
Kelly Stevenson Fayetteville Tennessee
Tim Terry Conway South Carolina
Calvin Grannis Elk Grove California
Greg McCann Surfside Beach South Carolina
Steve Carrick Byron Center Michigan
Roger Haber Okotoks Alberta
Robert Milks Hendersonville North Carolina
Ted Lathrop Wayland Michigan
Ed Peppard Woodlawn Tennessee
Bruce Wyckoff Zeeland Michigan
Steve DeGroat Lugoff South Carolina
Artie Clark Huntington Station New York
Great News Roger! Looking forward to seeing you and Fiona...my son Christian, who lives in Calgary, says he wants to hitch a ride with you guys....HEY...just kidding!!!!
Yes Rodger, Long grueling drive is right. I'm right there with you your 29 + hours with my 34 hours + X 2 of driving. Brenda and I will start driving early July to get there....takes 3 long day's of driving.
We will be warming up (starting the meet) at Phil & Mary's house before the meet. May stop off at Rick & Jean Ingram's house to bug them on the way through going east, don't know yet?
Everyone have safe travels to the meet! Can't wait!
Calvin & Brenda
Calvin....Chateau Ingram de Southpark is available!
"Calvin....Chateau Ingram de Southpark is available!"
Finest lodging/best hospitality in all of Southern Illinois!
And Jean's cookin'!
Registered, see you all in July
Oops.
The drivetrain of a motor vehicle is the group of components that deliver power to the driving wheels. This excludes the engine or motor that generates the power. In contrast, the powertrain is considered to include both the engine or motor and the drivetrain.
I have decided that I may show up after all. ;)
QuoteI have decided that I may show up after all. ;)
Never doubted it for a minute - don't want to jeopardize your Brit V8 meet attendance streak.....
.....now if we could only get the Blackwoods and others in the Procrastinators Anonymous Club to commit....
Question, was told that Nitrous oxide is illegal in Ohio, is this true? Need to know if I should leave the bottle out or just empty or not to worry. Anyone from Ohio got the true info?
A google search came up with this;
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2925.33v1
QuoteA google search came up with this;
[codes.ohio.gov]
....seems to be a reg under the "Drug Offenses" code......not motor vehicle.
Hmmm,
I may have broken that law when I was young but i don't remember things clearly now.
Scott, I know you "Didn't Inhale" :-)
I would highly recommend that you remove the bottle.
Many states have laws about Nitrous Oxide from a drug perspective, but more & more are cracking down on Nos systems in motor vehicles due to street racing dangers.
The laws in the state of Ohio are extremely strict regarding the use of Nitrous Oxide in a vehicle. When you buy the gas, you are required to sign a form that informs you that you are not allowed to use it in the operation of a motor vehicle. The seller of the nitrous oxide is required to keep receipts and names of any person who bought the gas for 2 years. If you are found to have used the gas in the operation of a vehicle, you will not only likely be charged with a street racing charge, but you will be charged with falsification, misdemeanor of the first degree. It is crucial that you get legal representation from a Columbus nitrous oxide defense lawyer at once if you have been arrested and charged with this offense.
https://www.koffellaw.com/serious-vehicular-crimes/nitrous-oxide-motor-vehicle/
Interesting that Ohio based Summit and Jegs speed shops sell nitrous bottles with local pickup
https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/product-line/nos-nitrous-bottles?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&retaillocation=int&tw=nitrous%20bottle&sw=NOS%20Nitrous%20Bottles
Legal on the drag strip or other off-road venues.
Wow, who'da thunkit? I don't use nitrous so I would not have known about this if I hadn't read it here. In my non-attorney opinion, unless you were actually caught street racing, I think the state would have a hard time proving that you did in fact use the gas in the operation of a vehicle. To Carl's last point, I think it would be even harder to prove that you used it on the street if you have entry receipts and time slips from a race track. As for having it in the car for the BV8 meet, are the bottles sealed when they are full? If so, by not breaking the seal, you can prove that it wasn't used. I don't know that there will be an opportunity to use it at the meet, but who's to say that there won't. Interesting situation.
OK, now I know the law, will just have to behave on the street.
Thing is, many of our conversions have acceleration that could be mistaken for usage of Nos. If one gets pulled over & they see the bottle, the police officer may jump to conclusions. When in court , the judge often goes with the cops experience & assessment of the situation. Not sure they will have to prove anything. If you can reach the bottle from the driver's seat, they won't buy the argument that the bottle was turned off.
They were tying to pass this one as well. Didn't happen.
Ohio Senate is trying to pass a ridiculous bill that can cause anyone to lose their car and license very easily. This possible law prevents you from having Nitrous Oxide hooked up in your car. It also says that if an officer "thinks" you are accelerating faster than "normal," this law will take your car and it will get auctioned or crushed, and you lose your license for 1 year. There are no parameters or guidelines for what is considered "normal" acceleration, and is up to the officer to decide.
I need to move...
Can't reach the bottle its in the trunk, and I keep it turn off, so if stopped then I can prove its not in use. Plus its controlled by the computer and will have it disabled in the computer. will turn it on only if and when we get to play.
You should be fine, George. Can't image a reason for you letting them search your vehicle.
I have heard it referred to Soviet Ohio, Al. Kind of like the Communist (Commonwealth) State of Virginia.
We do have a Russia, Ohio...about 25 miles away...
Thirty-nine (39) now registered!!!! Make sure to register ASAP to insure you get your regalia at the meet!!!
38 so far!
Alan Moor Tipp City Ohio
Artie Clark Huntington Station New York
Barry Glass Plano Texas
Bill Yobi Canfield Ohio
Bruce Wyckoff Zeeland Michigan
Calvin Grannis Elk Grove California
Carl Floyd Kingsport Tennessee
Charles Long Mc Donald Tennessee
Dale Knapke Sidney Ohio
Daryl Siefert Lewisville North Carolina
Ed Peppard Woodlawn Tennessee
Eddie Cole Walton Kentucky
George Van Horn Collegeville Pennsylvania
Graham Creswick Chatham Ontario
Greg McCann Surfside Beach South Carolina
Jim Miller Saint Joseph Michigan
Kelly Stevenson Fayetteville Tennessee
Ken Hiebert Toronto Ontario
Larry Peck BLAINE Tennessee
Max Fulton Durham North Carolina
Merv Hagen Dundee Illinois
Michael Maloney Tipp City Ohio
Mickey Richaud Townsend Tennessee
Mike Moor Angola Indiana
Paul Overbeek Zeeland Michigan
Paul Schils Fredonia Wisconsin
Phil McConnell Perrysburg Ohio
Ralph Ratta China Spring Texas
Richard Moor Angola Indiana
Rick Ingram Saint Joseph Illinois
Rob Ficalora Willis Texas
Robert Milks Hendersonville North Carolina
Roger Haber Okotoks Alberta
Steve Carrick Byron Center Michigan
Steve DeGroat Lugoff South Carolina
Ted Lathrop Wayland Michigan
Terry Looft Wilmington Ohio
Tim Terry Conway South Carolina
42 registered as of today! Keep the registrations coming!
Forty-five (45) now registered!!!! Make sure to register ASAP to insure you get your regalia at the meet!!!
Add one more.
Jim
QuoteAdd one more......
...and what of thy Spurious brethren?.....and thy son?
Hey Al - quick question - my wife is going to join me this year :). How do I update my registration to include her?
And for any of you who's spouse is also participating, Shelly is a self proclaimed garage widow -- so if the ladies are planning any escapes from the rest of us, I'm sure she'd enjoy joining in those activities for some of the time.
Just go to the web site www.britishv8meet.org, and go to the 'Register' page. The middle link is there to add additional hats, shirts, or banquet meals if you've already registered. If you have any problem with the form, let me know. I believe you'll be the first to use it :)
Cheers,
Al
As Al mentioned in another thread....
If you haven't booked your room for the British V8 meeting in Dayton, do it now! The hotel is only guaranteeing the $104 rate through June 5.
I'll bet Mary and Brenda will keep Shelly from being an "Event Widow"
I will second that Phil :) ....I'm very happy that Shelly is finally coming to an event so we all can meet her. She will have fun with this group of great people.
Very happy she is coming Rob!!
I am in for renting a mini van, so if the Ladies want to escape they can.
Perky and charles
great wait is happening now.
see you guys soon
Thanks for that all; we can let them coordinate when we're there. Charles, I might have enough to do a rental on points with Avis.
Al - did you get my email? I think the form to update registration isn't working right.
Here is an option....I can drop the camper off the truck and Brenda can haul 5 people. A 2017 F-450 4X4 Dually can go anywhere + safe, they can buy stuff if they want, and throw it in the bed. It's there and no need to rent. :)
Rob, sorry I hadn't checked the mail account in a couple days. Been on the road. I will make sure to check it morning from now to the end of the event.
The form is fixed and you should be able to add your banquet meal now.
Thanks for your patience,
Al
48 so far :)
Alan Moor Tipp City Ohio
Artie Clark Huntington Station New York
Barry Glass Plano Texas
Bill Heath Rogersville Missouri
Bill Yobi Canfield Ohio
Bruce Wyckoff Zeeland Michigan
Calvin Grannis Elk Grove California
Carl Floyd Kingsport Tennessee
Charles Long Mc Donald Tennessee
Dale Knapke Sidney Ohio
Dan Blackwood Milton West Virginia
Daniel Craig Ozark Missouri
Daryl Siefert Lewisville North Carolina
Ed Peppard Woodlawn Tennessee
Eddie Cole Walton Kentucky
Gary Kinney Henrico Virginia
George Van Horn Collegeville Pennsylvania
Graham Creswick Chatham Ontario
Greg McCann Surfside Beach South Carolina
howard hosp floyds knobs Indiana
James Johanski Pulaski Wisconsin
Jim Miller Saint Joseph Michigan
Jim Blackwood Florence Kentucky
Kelly Stevenson Fayetteville Tennessee
Ken Hiebert Toronto Ontario
larry shimp burlington Wisconsin
Larry Peck BLAINE Tennessee
Max Fulton Durham North Carolina
Merv Hagen Dundee Illinois
Michael Maloney Tipp City Ohio
Mickey Richaud Townsend Tennessee
Mike Alexander Henrico Virginia
Mike Moor Angola Indiana
Paul Overbeek Zeeland Michigan
Paul Schils Fredonia Wisconsin
Phil McConnell Perrysburg Ohio
Ralph Ratta China Spring Texas
Richard Moor Angola Indiana
Rick Ingram Saint Joseph Illinois
Rob Ficalora Willis Texas
Robert Milks Hendersonville North Carolina
Roger Haber Okotoks Alberta
Scott Costanzo Dublin Ohio
Steve Carrick Byron Center Michigan
Steve DeGroat Lugoff South Carolina
Ted Lathrop Wayland Michigan
Terry Looft Wilmington Ohio
Tim Terry Conway South Carolina
I booked my room back in November but had to cancel it yesterday. I won't be able to make it as our son in Newfoundland is being transferred and we've made a commitment to be there at that time. Perhaps we can make the fall gathering in Townsend again. We thoroughly enjoyed it last year.
Phil, maybe the Oct. gathering in Townsend would be another great time to celebrate both of your anniversary like we did last year? The Trailhead Rest. would be logical choice? What Say?
Kelly, it's a possibility. I've "penciled" it in. Thoroughly enjoyed our time there last fall. It's our 50th and Pam is talking perhaps a cruise and a tour. Hope things are going well with you and Sandi.
Ok, Gang, Not too long till the meet (less than a month), we hope to arrive mid pm on the 11th. Look fwd to seeing you all.
Howdy all, this is Andrew Ficalora (Rob's son). I just registered today and am looking forward to meeting up with everyone. It's been a few years since Indy!
Hey Andrew... glad your coming this year! If your super lucky maybe there will be a kit and a 302 that you can swap into your ride somewhere ;)
Welcome Andrew, Look fwd to visiting with you again. Colorado. Sprgs. was a few years ago. Nice ride!
Last day to order shirts/hats is June 29. See web site https://www.britishv8meet.org for more pictures and to order your swag!
ShortSleeve.jpg
Just viewed the list of people registered, guess who is planning to show up. Les Shockey has indicated he will attend. Haven't seen or heard from Les in several years. Will be fun to get re-acquainted. Look fwd to seeing ALL of our friends.
Cool. Looks to be a great family reunion!
Les is oriiginally from the Dayton area...truely a family reunion!
Haven't seen Les since 2010!
I'm getting excited to see everyone! Oh, and in addition to my wife, Shelly, my son and his girlfriend (Vanessa) are coming this year. He's planning to drive his Miata. I know he'll be welcome, but be sure to kid him about bringing a Japanese car to a British car event. Just don't tell him I put you up to it ;).
I've had my 300ZX at more than one BritishV8 event.
He will receive no kidding from me.
Mmmhhmmm. Well, when you think about it, I'm bringing a Japanese car, designed by an American team, that was meant to recreate the classic British roadster. My Miata also has factory German wheels and suspension, as well as Italian leather components. So, perhaps it is not too far-fetched to say that my car is just as much of a "mutt" as yours! ;)
Yep, Drew will fit right in this crowd! ;)
Miatas are " British Inspired".
As for Italian, I have been using a Nardi steering wheel for many years. German? I'm 50% German. The rest is Scotch, Irish, Welsh, Deep South 'Merican by God.
Don't worry Drew, I'll have my Nissan Rogue, since traveling with 2 passengers. The rear seat of the XK8 is only for SHOW. I will have my MGB scooter and a Jag key chain :-) Sitting on READY!
Drew, your car sounds American to me. But that's OK, we're used to American.
Jim
Got word today that there is no more room at the (Holiday) Inn. Don't worry, if you still want to come, there are plenty of other options nearby:
In order by distance from the Holiday Inn:
Homewood Suites by Hilton - Dayton - 937-429-0600 - Basically shares the parking lot with the host hotel
Hampton Inn Dayton/Fairborn - 937-429-5505 - Within easy walking distance
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairborn/Write-Patterson - 937-490-2000 - A few blocks away
Wingate by Wyndham Dayton - Fairborn - 937-912-9350 - A few blocks away
Hilton Garden Inn Dayton Beavercreek - 937-458-2650 - Across I-675 from Holiday, but there is a walkway
Residence Inn by Marriott Dayton Beavercreek - 937-427-3914 - 5-minute drive, next to the mall
Courtyard by Marriott Dayton Beavercreek - 937-429-5203 - next to the Residence Inn
No doubt there will be some cancellations at the host hotel also. We had a few last year.
Bernie Posey registered at the Homewood Suites this morning...The Homewood Suites is next to our Holiday Inn and is just as close to our dedicated BritishV8 parking area as the host hotel...nice...
Gonna be a great Meet! I haven't seen Bernie or Les in a long time. Bernie is another of those 1st timers from way back in Annapolis in '98. Amazing how many of us were 1st timers that year & are still participating!
This will be auctioned at the V8 meet.
Sorry. Could not get picture to load. I will try later. It is a spitfire from ww2. Stained glass.
Steve
1.5 weeks and counting!! Artie gets to my house a week from tomorrow! Starting to get excited!!
Here is the Spitfire mentioned by Steve...really outstanding!
IMG_3853.JPG
Here you go Steve.
This is a great piece of art.
Too bad that I will be the only bidder.
~chuckle~
(Those of you who know of my passion for WWII warbirds will understand my comment here.)
deGroatSpitfire.jpg
That will go for a pretty penny!
I am donating the spitfire and an American flag to the auction. Hope they will help with expensive. The flag can be seen on Creams me up Facebook page. I can not put pictures here. My fault. Need my grandchildren to do it.
Steve
Outstanding!
I've watched too much storage wars... I'm going to bid on the spitfire just to run the price up on Rick ;)
Heard rumors Dickel will be at the auction! Steve's items are "Keepers" Dickel is to be consumed :-)
Make sure the Dickel goes across the block early, as it's consumption could cause all later items to fetch higher prices.
Good observation Phil!
Wow. We just hit 60 registrations and 96 guests at the banquet. Fantastic turn-out.
re: Make sure the Dickel goes across the block early, as it's consumption could cause all later items to fetch higher prices.
I can get blood out of a turnip.
re: I've watched too much storage wars... I'm going to bid on the spitfire just to run the price up on Rick ;)
To quote one of the players...."YUUUUUPPPP!"
NOTE! There will NOT be CURB SERVICE available :-) BYOB.
63 cars, 103 banquet attendees. Of course, some will skip the banquet, but I'm really excited at the turnout. I was hoping for 50 cars and 80 people.
Badges are done, goodie bags will be put together on Monday night. I'll be checking in to the hotel some time around 4pm on Monday.
Mike Maloney has done an AMAZING job coordinating our itinerary and personally checking out each venue. Kudos.
I'll be picking up the shirts/hats on Tuesday. I can't wear a new T-Shirt without washing it first, so I'll be doing that. If anybody would like me to wash your shirt before putting it in your goodie bag, just speak up via PM. Happy to do it.
If you have any issues, or need help with anything, text or call me at 937-689-3796 and we'll bring the cavalry.
Can't wait to see everybody.
Al
Al, Mike Terry and everyone that contributed to this.
Excellent work!
Badges?
We don't need no steeking badges!
Great to see so many familiar names coming this year! It will be great to see everyone.
I made up a wind deflector for the auction. Hope to keep the purse full for next year's gathering!
Mike
Pete Mantell dropped his items off to me today (he cannot make it as his son, Alex, is graduating from Navy school in South Carolins on Friday).
I will also have a couple of certificates to offer up from Pieces of Eight.
BritV8PiecesofEight486x60.jpg
After all the thrashing to get my car ready, I'm beginning to feel like i'm not supposed to make it this year.
Windshield replaced, but leaking -- water dripping somewhere causing my wipers to quit on me today & hazzards not to work - ok now that it's dried out a bit.
Replaced bushings in the IRS; no drama on them, but one of my CV axle shafts had popped loose from the CV race. Ran around town, found the necessary clip to fix it; fixed it. That was about Wed/Thu.
Front suspension noticed end play in the hubs; chased parts; fixed. Also noticed lower ball joints on both sides were very loose; tightened. And, bolts holding the Wilwood rotors to the hats were also loose; tightened.
Rained on my on the way to Dallas - hydroplaned. Luckily only rained a few mins.
Rain forecasted all along the way & some of the week so decided I need to swap tires. Been running around much of the afternoon looking for tires; nothing. Closest is 225/60/15 (rear) & 195/60/15 (front) but holding them up next to my wheel wells/flares, they look like they won't fit. And I really don't want to be hydroplaning all the way there like last year. One option remains... Find a window to skirt the rain & order tires to arrive in Dayton (if they can get them there in time) so I can get them swapped there... praying for a miracle so next time I check the weather forecast, it shows clear sailing!
Rob, I am 30 minutes away from the Tire Rack in South Bend Indiana. I don't think I can safely fit 4 tires in a MG, 2 will fit. I let me know if I can help in some way.
Thanks Jim. I'm going to call some tire shops in/around Dayton in the morning to see if they can get some shipped in before we'd have to head back to Houston. With that answer and updated weather reports tomorrow, I'll make the decision.
Don't worry, the fun times are still going to happen. We were able to find a solution and the Ficalora crew has rolled out. Next stop: Memphis
I'll be driving my Tahoe, wasn't able to get everything fixed in time. Oh well it's the people that's most important not which vehicle I arrive in.
I'll gladly ride with any of you who have an empty seat in a fun LBC when it's time to do one of the drives.
see ya'll tomorrow, Wed. afternoon.
PJ Lenihan
IMG_2379.JPG
No problemo, PJ....I'll have the F150.
A reminder from Al and Mike:
A note for Wednesday's arrivals:. Free Yuengling drafts in the hotel bar from 6:00-7:00. After which they have live music.
Also, we have the parking lot to the left of the hotel (north). Look for the welcome sign.
YuenglingTruck.jpg
Yuengling.jpg
Hooked up with Ralph and Barry about 4hrs outside of Memphis. We're all here. Miller time
Safe travels Guys! See you tomorrow evening.........
I am here with Calvin & Brenda and Roger & Fiona. The party has officially begun.
Hold it down guys! I can hear you and your cars hear in WV ! Have fun!
Safe travels home all. We made it to Nashville for lunch and a Grand Ole Opry tour and then to Memphis' Beale Street for Blues and Memphis BBQ. Plan to run by Graceland in the morning before continuing home.
Mary and I got home about noon. Nice drive, light traffic. Wishing the same for all of you still on the road.
I arrived home at about 12:30 eastern time and just put the MG in the garage . No issues with traffic.
Mary and I arrived home in Wisconsin at 1:30 central time. Traffic was OK in Indy but was heavy in Chicago. Glad we left early. Great to see everyone again and hope all had a safe ride home.
Janet and I are home - no issues, but right after we stopped to pick up the mail at the Post Office here in Townsend, the GT sputtered and died. Coasted into a service station and let it sit a couple minutes and it started right back up and drove the last couple miles home fine. Maybe a clogged fuel filter...? Will check it all out later - margarita time now! Good news is that for the entire trip, we got 26-27 mpg, and it ran beautifully.
Thanks to all who planned the gathering - great times, and always good to see everyone. Hope y'all can make it to Townsend in October.
Mickey
Shelly and I started in Memphis this morning. Stopped for Lunch with some of her family in Conway, AR, then on to Hot Springs, AR for the evening. Home tomorrow. Drew & Vanessa are about 4hours from Austin so should get home about 8:30 or 9pm central tonight.
We arrived home at 4:45 CST and had a great trip. Spent 1 hr. just north of Nashville in a traffic jam due to auto accident. Enjoyed seeing everyone.
I got home around noon, It was great to see everyone and meet so many new people and so many nice cars.
Thanks again to all the people that made it happen.
Joe
I spent about an hour & a half visiting with Al Wulf before I left town. Got home about 7:45Ppm. Log day on a short night;s rest. Plus, my cruise control completely quit. Anyway, 7 hours, five States, & somehow missed all the rain.
#21 in a row in the books. ;) What a 3 day weekend!
Joe! Can't believe I missed you!! Have wanted to meet you in person and see your car too. Next year?
Carl, how's Al? Stints all installed and going home soon I hope.
Thanks to everyone who attended...it was great seeing all you guys!
Carl..thank you for visiting with Al and Patty...I know that was a great help amd comfort to them....also a special thanks to Merv and Maryln for assisting the Wulfs during the meet...much appreciated...Terry and Carole are spending time with Patty today and will be at hospital tomorow to be with Patty while Al is having his last stent put in...Terry also has moved Al's truck, trailer and mg to his home to insure that it is safely stored until decisions are made later about getting it back to Colorado. According to Merv, this was a great comfort to Al just knowing that his vehicles were safely being stored. If I have overlooked anyone who assisted with Patty and Al, my apologies...
Also, Jean Ingram (and Rick) assisted continuosly during that critical time frame when Al initially entered the hospital (and after)...so thankful your efforts!
Again...Al, Kay and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing everyone in Dayton and look forward to meeting up with many of you in Townsend later on this year and of course next year in Wythville, Va.
Cheers!
Mike
Triple thanks to Jean for recognizing Al's issues on the walk back from Bob Evan's!
Rob, I seen your car at D&D, it turned out great, looked for you at the Hotel Friday night but didn't find you then Sat morning they told me you had left already "bummer" was hoping to meet you and check out your car a little closer, by the way my MGB wasn't there it was home with the dash torn out of it. Yes it will have to be next year, safe travels home
Joe
Thanks to Mike and Al for a great meet. I'm happy that Al is okay. Saw him unloading his car, so stopped to help him, noticed he wasn't all there, so stuck around until he got it off safe.
Brenda and I had some followers going to our destinations because we took all side roads. Found some nice roads through the trees and over rivers.
Great fun seeing everyone!!
We are up in La Crosse WI at a RV park on the river and going to VTR 2018. Then travel across going west, arrive home towards the end of the month.
Next year in Virginia!
Perk and I made the shop about 3:30 PM after a stop for diner as if we hadn't eaten enough.
Supper meeting and great people. What could be better?
Regards
charles
Al, Mike, and Kay I had a fantastic time. Did you notice I was smiling a lot?
20180713_150559_001.jpg
Picture Thread:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?10,62829
Jean and I got home about 1:30pm CDT on Sunday.
The Roadmaster ran flawlessly...and I got about 18mpg (while running the a/c), based on the car's odometer....which I will compare to GPS mileage reading on my next journey outside of town.
The addition of EPS and A/C make the car....comfortable. We could use a little more ducting on the a/c.
I will be campaigning the car at local Cars & Coffee, local street rod shows, and.....at a Midwest Fiero gathering in East Peoria, IL
(I have to show them where all of the Fiero seats are going!.....I picture restorers of Fieros in the future using MGB seats. <grin> )
BritishV8 2018 was fantastic.....Al and Mike did a great job in the planning and execution of this event! THANK YOU!
The bottle of Dickel won at auction, has joined the line up on the bar
20180726_132107.jpg
WOW George, thanks for the place of Honor! Appears we are keeping very good company. Beautiful Bar!
Got this from Ralph Ratta this afternoon......gives a great "overview" of the parking lot and some of the conversions and enthusiasts in attendance that day.
Thanks, Ralph!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Vk5D65lZ4&feature=youtu.be
Nice video! Thanks Ralph
That was fun!
Does anyone know the status of the apparel that had to be reordered for the Dayton Gathering? Thought they were supposed to be ordered the end of July and it's been a month since then. I am waiting for 2 T's, a polo shirt, and a ball cap. Hope we can get them soon.
Ed...apologies first...we are definitely working on this..I will contact Al Moor and let you know your status...btw..there are others waiting too...thanks for your patience and again...apologies...
Mike Maloney
Mike,
Thank you for the reply. Hopefully the orders can be worked out soon. Would be nice to have them for the gathering in Townsend.
Ed
Oh I'm so sorry I missed this!
I am a Dayton Ohio native and the body man for the Packard Museum downtown.
I would have loved to had a group come through the Packer Museum and show ya'll more than most see, including the basement with a bunch of cool cars , including several Jaguars!
The principal of the Packard Museum is not only crazy about Packards, he is also INSANE for Jaguars .. there's also a 1910s Indian motorcycle in unrestored, but surprisingly nice condition, hidden away.
Several of the better restaurants in Dayton are owned by friends of mine also..
Here's some pics of what you missed, Jay.
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?10,62829
That Packard Museum basement tour would have been awesome for us gearheads!
Jay...I am also am a Dayton area resident and helped organize our v8 meet...we really tried to include the Packard Museum on our agenda, but simply could not squeeze in another event...I have visited the museum in the past and it was awsome! One of the reasons for not including the PM was at the time I visited last May (and later) the folks there did not have any pamphlets to distribute to our group. Rest assurred we will include the PM in any future event we may have..