Planning help to get the lift I got off the trailer got me thinking... Seems I often have heavy stuff to unload. Have looked at gantry cranes but really don't want the floor space used up. If I were to suspend the I-beam from my ceiling joists with U-bolts, about how much weight could I safely load/unload with it? ceiling joists are 2x12's on 16" centers and span the 24' width of the garage.
You're going to be installing a two-post lift.
Can you use one of the arms to lift the load from the bed of the truck for future heavy items?
OK, using the lift is obvious now. Just need to be sure the load is balanced on the arm(s). Now my question just sounds silly!
"Now my question just sounds silly!"
graham_chapman_stop_that_silly.jpg
Congrats on the lift!
If you support the 2x12 with a temporary brace from the floor just far enough from the wall to let the trailer in, it will support enough to unload the lift components. You could also double up the 2x12 in that span if you are uncomfortable.
Another option is to lay a 4x4 on top and perpendicular to and spanning 4 or more of the joists, then suspend your lifting device from that, and this should easily provide adequate support for lifting most common loads up to 500 lbs or so, maybe double that depending on how you do it.
Jim
This could help:
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/76153/how-to-calculate-the-maximum-safe-load-on-a-horizontal-wooden-beam
Thanks all. Rick's post has the answer though. I was thinking like a guy who doesn't have a lift... but now I do :)
Rob, cranial gas? Ha Ha
I just thought you were figuring out how to unload and erect the lift.
Jim