The Warm-Up hotel is The La Quinta Inn in Wytheville Va. Room rate is $72 + 12.03% Tax or $74.16 for overnight. There is Free Wi-Fi, full breakfast on site and seem like a great facility. Phone # 276-228-7400. Please ask for the Brit Car Club rate agreed by Cindy for June 6, 2017. Sorry it took so long, but had to tie up loose ends. Please book early as cut off day for our rates is early May. Room Block of 25 should handle our crowd. See you in Wytheville Va June 6, 2017.
Any other arrangements for a social (grub 'n suds) gathering?
Social items are a la carte. Our group can usually come up with some entertainment w/o too much prodding :-) Any Suggestions?
$72 + 12.03% = $80.66 ;)
Thanks Carl, thought my figures were slightly off :-). Still is a great rate.
Quote....thought my figures were slightly off.....
Dickel will do that.....
I have a calculator that has a percentage button. :)
Speaking of Dickel, I had a taste of this. Very good stuff. I am sure that Kelly & Mike M. would approve.
http://www.thirstysouth.com/2014/11/10/dickel-hand-selected-barrel-review-and-tasting-notes/
Reservations made! My Wife and I will be there!
Made reservations for Lewisburg yesterday and just made reservations for Wytheville. The Jag and I will see you there!!
Ken Nicks
Booked our room for the Warm-Up in june 2017. perhaps we should start a thread just for Room Bookings. Just need to note whether Wytheville or Lewisburg. or both.
BUMPED, DON'T FORGET, Warm-Up In Wytheville, Va. See you there!
We are planning on it! Ted and Judy Lathrop
We will be there :)
How about a update posing of all who plan to attend the Warm Up? Just reply to this thread, we'll be there!
Kelly & Sandy
Graham & Gordy
Calvin & Brenda
Richard Peterson & Wife
Ken Nicks
Ted & Judy
Carl Floyd ?
Mickey & Janet
Charles and Perky
Merv and Marilyn
Janet and I will be there.
Perk and Myself are planning on stopping by in Whithville.June 6.
charles
Marilyn & I will be there.
BUMP, Anyone one else planning to join us in Wiytheville?
It's only a 90 minute cruise for me. I may join up the next morning for the drive to Lewisburg. Any idea what time y'all plan to start the caravan?
What do you suggest? 9:30- 10:00 EDT?? what is it, about3.5 hr drive to Lewisburg? Let's hears suggestions?
Probably no need to leave before 10am, if that soon. Check-in at the Quality Inn in Lewisburg is not until 3pm. Google says it is a 2 hour 12 minute, 102 mile drive on the more scenic US 219 route.
This modified route takes 2.5 hours.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/La+Quinta+Inn+in+Wytheville+Va/Quality+Inn,+540+N+Jefferson+St,+Lewisburg,+WV+24901/@37.3359734,-81.0271837,10z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x8851e211f127dd8f:0x93fa407684e28313!2m2!1d-81.0591696!2d36.9489783!3m4!1m2!1d-80.9615691!2d37.0714895!3s0x884e04c32b5ad7bd:0xadd84ff94f9da141!1m5!1m1!1s0x884c47130f3547c5:0xf86a0e903391dbdb!2m2!1d-80.428528!2d37.814007!3e0
Maybe find a spot for lunch on the way.
Sounds like a winner! Love those scenic routes. Maybe a few local places to visit in Wytheville also.
Dan Blackwood has suggested Union, WV as a good lunch stop. About 1.5 hours from Wytheville. Hall Tavern or Korner Kafe. I'm sure they would appreciate a heads up before we descend with 10-12 cars & 25+ people. :)
http://www.thehalltavern.com/
https://www.facebook.com/thehalltavern/
https://www.facebook.com/Korner-Kafe-169854109869097/
PM for Karl. Thanks for suggestions.
QuoteBUMP, Anyone one else planning to join us in Wiytheville?
Pete Smith is convoying with me from Ontario, so I assume he's registered at the hotel.
The route Carl posted using Google Maps is pretty straight forward but in my opinion, doesn't make use of your time in the area. I won't be joining the group but I've travelled the roads in that vicinity and for anyone who cares to listen, I can suggest some more interesting roads.
Looking at that route again, the 601 is good. Even though it follows the valley, it's still very local and scenic. The 100 you'll be bored with. It's mostly 4 lane cutting out mountain ridges you traverse, it's a turnpike. The 219 is not bad but is designed to get you there with the least amount of trouble.
Some real excitement can be found going from Wytheville to Lewisburg. I keep a "Master Map', highlighting in orange the roads I drive, making notes as I go as far as the road's characteristics. V.G.-very good, N.C.L.-no center line, Gravel-don't go there again.
From Wytheville, I'd go up Interstate 77, exit at #47 and travel 52 over Big Walker Lookout. From there, go back down 77 to exit #47 and take 601 east or just use 42 which is much the same.
What you don't want to miss is 738 between Mechanicsburg and Pulaski. It's a classic! 1 1/2 lanes wide, no center line and no traffic. It crosses several ridges, I do it repeatedly. Please refer to my map. For some reason, my map doesn't show 601 going east from 738 but it obviously does.
From 100 near Staffordsville, 622 is V.G. to Eggleston.
Left click on the map to enlarge.
IMG_1583.JPG
From Eggleston/Newport, 42 will take you to 658, a lovely, less travelled local road. On the way, you'll pass Kelly's Knob:
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/526021
658 connects to 311 which is an excellent way to enter West Virginia, at which point, you can take 3 into Union and on to Lewisburg.
IMG_1584.JPG
Here's my map of West Virginia, highlighting in orange the roads I've recorded.
IMG_1585.JPG
Kentucky:
IMG_1586.JPG
Leave a little earlier and explore!
Thanks for maps and info Ken. . we'll consider some alternate routes. See you all there
Hey Kelly, I won't be able to make the warm-up unfortunately. I have to work that day. :(
See everyone in Lewisburg!
Scott
Wow Ken, you have spent a lot of time in WV. I really like your suggestions. Some of us would really enjoy ripping up those roads. Some of the spousal co-pilots may not. ;) We may need to stick to less thrilling routes.
Carl,
Well, the options are there. Arrangements could be made with the group to rendezvous somewhere along the way, driving favourite sections for some. The distances are not long.
Katie and I will be in Nashville for the GoodGuys event, May 19th to 21st. We might have time to mountain tour there or back.
Ken
A sign like this excites me:
IMG_7109.JPG
No spouses should complain about the part of 219 that runs from Union into Lewisburg. It is a scenic drive through rolling farm country. If you wanted to go as far as Paint Bank for lunch, The Swinging Bridge is a pretty nice restaurant, and certainly big enough. A little pricy but the food was good and the atmosphere inviting. Then when you go over the mountain on 311 toward Crows it has a nice section of twists.
Ralph Ratta & I are making plans to make it to Wytheville. What time are folks planning to arrive there? We're stopping in Birmingham the night before so it'll be about a 6 1/2 hour drive. Need to decide what time we'll head out that day.
Ck in is around 3:00PM , You will change time zones around Chattanooga Tn if on I 59. We plan to arrive early and do some visits in area. Overnight around Morristown Tn. East of Knoxville.. See you there
Ugh! Timezone change. Forgot about that. Glad you mentioned though! I'll talk to Ralph and let y'all know what time we expect to get there once I know.
Room booked.
Look forward to see you Rob and everyone else!!!
FYI,,,Our group has dinner reservations at "The Log House" in Wytheville. Time is around 6:30PM EDT. Tourism Director for Wytheville recommended this, assured me this place was a great dining experience and served ADULT Beverages also. Appears we will have a good size group to Warm Up. See you there!
Cked menu for The Loghouse, seems ok and I suspect there is additional items available no listed. Steaks being one item :-)
Room booked!
Appears to be a LARGE Turnout for the Lewisburg meet from the registrations list. The Warm Up in Wytheville looks good also. Look forward to seeing old friends and make new ones. Have a safe trip.
Can't wait. Home from Korea today, one week in the office, then hit the road. Looking forward to seeing everyone. Haven't had a chance to do pre-trip checks but will inspect this weekend. Car's been running great so don't expect any issues. Someone knock wood for me!
Janet and I have had a change of plans. We're driving part of the Blue Ridge Pkwy before the meet and would have to double-back to be in Wytheville on the 6th. As we don't have a lot of time (or funds!) to spare, we won't be meeting up with y'all until Lewisburg.
See you there!
Mickey
Thanks for update Mickey, see you in Lewisburg.
Brenda and I will be coming up I-77 from Winston-Salem, NC in a 2002 Tahoe on the morning of june 7, 2017
Sorry we won't be joining you there for the warm up.
I'm departing tomorrow for the Moss Motoring Fest in Petersburg, VA.
. You can't miss our Chevy SUV as it is signed for the trip to San Diego beginning June 15, 2017.
Maybe we will see ya'll on the road.
PJ
Calvin - I used to live near Moss's Petersburg VA location... in fact, the British car shop that my dad used to take his B to was in the same industrial area where they are. If you're into Civil War era stuff, there's a great park near there (or at least there was 30 years ago when I lived there) -- would make for some excelent car photo backgrounds.
Time is close, see you all in Wytheville or Lewisburg.
Group dinner meet up in lobby a.t 6:15 PM. "Ditty Bag" from Wytheville host at deskIDourselfas Brit Car guys. See U at The Lobbypriorto dinner. Dickel Time
we had to change from the decorated Tahoe to a plain white Prius see you along the road or at our host hotel in WVA
Great turnout or warm up. Dinner at Log House was excellent wlth old friends renewing and making new friends. 21 went to dinner with 2 abstaining. Leave for Lewisburg after breakfast. Probably get away around 10. Seeing U there.
This was a Huge Success thanks to the attendees and Wytheville Vistor Center employees. Stay tuned for possible event at next years event.
Thanks to the participants who joined us at Wytheville Va. Warm-Up. The Wytheville Vistor Center, La Quinta Inn. and other entities made us feel welcome. Wish we had someone in the area the who could organize a British V8 meet in Wytheville. The mountains are close enough to have spirited drives and they have adequate facilities to support other activities.
Kelly - Wytheville was great. Did anyone get a copy of the article the local paper said they were going to do?
I have a copy Rob of the news paper in West Virginia. I posted it up for all to see in the pub.
Thanks Calvin. I did not know they planned to do this.