BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: limey222 on September 18, 2016, 03:01:04 PM

Title: Urgently need tire recommendations
Post by: limey222 on September 18, 2016, 03:01:04 PM
I want to change out the tires that were on my car when I first purchased it. I have 15" x 5.5 Minilites-style  wheels.
The tires are an unknown brand.  The car has a GM 3.4 V6  and T 5 transmission..
Looking for  strong recommendations on tires, I drive very little in the wet and never in ice or snow.
Would like to buy a brand that  handles well in the corners but  has a reasonable ride too.
I'm thinking something in the 195/60 or 65 range.  Not overly concerned about wear  given that I only do about 5,000 a year.
I guess something with a relatively soft  compound withstiffer sidewalls if that's possible.  I think you get the idea
Title: Re: Urgently need tire recommendations
Post by: mgb260 on September 18, 2016, 10:00:19 PM
Michael, Look on Tire Rack. They have reviews and ratings. 195/60 15 is a pretty common size. 200 is a good treadwear rating for sticky tires.
Title: Re: Urgently need tire recommendations
Post by: Moderator on September 18, 2016, 11:14:40 PM
Sticky tires make a sports car much more fun to drive, and much safer too.

Michael, I really like my Dunlop Dirreza ZII "Star Spec" tires.  For very sticky, summer rated, sports car tires the ZIIs are remarkably good on wet roads. I'm on my second set.. I bought the current set the very day I left Colorado for Portland.  Previously I had some Falken Azenis tires, that were fun on dry roads but scary in the rain.  My tires are size 205/50R15,  and  I have mine mounted on 15x6 wheels. But I think they're available in 195/50/R15, and that might be even better... Especially for your 15x5.5 wheels.
Title: Re: Urgently need tire recommendations
Post by: ex-tyke on September 19, 2016, 09:13:40 AM
QuoteMy tires are size 205/50R15, and I have mine mounted on 15x6 wheels. But I think they're available in 195/50/R15.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunlop-Direzza-ZII-Star-Spec-195-50-15-Tire-Set-of-2-/381770407914?hash=item58e34a1fea:g:1bgAAOSwYIhWjASc&vxp=mtr


http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=Direzza+ZII+Star+Spec&partnum=95VR5Z2SS&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
Title: Re: Urgently need tire recommendations
Post by: MGBV8 on September 19, 2016, 09:18:05 AM
You will not find a very stick tire in the 195/60-15, but it is closer to stock MGB tire height (smidge taller).

What size tire was on the car?  The 205/50-15 that Curtis mentions is the size I plan to migrate towards soon.  It is a smaller diameter at 23.1"  That is still taller than I run now.  The 195/50-15 is even shorter at 22.7"

Also, I much prefer to mount a tire on the largest rim in the rim width range. Just me, not critical either way.

A good compromise would be the 195/55-15 Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec at 23.4".  Curtis & I both think they will make you smile.  :)
Title: Re: Urgently need tire recommendations
Post by: MGBV8 on September 19, 2016, 09:24:37 AM
195/60-15 = 24.2" tall  Not avail. in a sticky 200 treadwaer Extreme Performance Summer tire

195/50-15 = 22.7" tall

195/55-15 = 23.4" tall  (My pick for Michael)  Speedometer will likely still read fast.
Title: Re: Urgently need tire recommendations
Post by: ex-tyke on September 19, 2016, 10:23:29 AM
You might also want to consider a perennial favourite that has good reviews and good size availability...Yokohama S Drive (UTQG 300 AA A rated)....not as sticky as the 200 but still a good tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=S.drive&partnum=055WR5S&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes