BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: britcars on July 28, 2016, 11:40:43 AM

Title: Moss Motoring Challenge
Post by: britcars on July 28, 2016, 11:40:43 AM
Here's a couple of photos taken while I've been participating in the Moss Motoring Challenge.  Both myself and PJ Lenihan have been posting on the Moss Challenge Facebook site.  The scavenger hunt style of this challenge gives me a bit more incentive to get out and drive the B.  Anyone else from British v8 taking part?
WrightCycloneRadialStartCopy.jpg
This isn't on Moss's points sheet but posted for those interested in aircraft. I bumped into a friend on a tour who is an aircraft mechanic, pilot and aircraft builder. He salvaged this Wright Cyclone Radial Engine from a crashed Grumman TBM Avenger once used here as a water bomber. The engine couldn't be used again in an aircraft so he built this "toy".
MilitaryVehicle.bCopy.jpg
Found a military vehicle, The LAV III Kodiak armored personnel carrier, carry 6-8 soldiers, a driver and a commander. They weigh about 16 tonnes and will do 60mph. They've been known to get air under all eight wheels at times. My son commanded one of these for a while.
HelicopterCopy.jpg
I wasn't having any luck finding a helicopter on the apron of the local helicopter business so I'm left with this Kiowa mounted on a pole.
Fruit.VegetableStandCopy.jpg
Found a fruit/vegetable stand in my recent travels....do you think that they might sell potatoes?

One item on Moss's list is a sign with bullet holes. Not having any luck so guess I'll have to create my own!
Title: Re: Moss Motoring Challenge
Post by: kstevusa on July 28, 2016, 01:26:15 PM
Phil, those are great photos,  hope you are planning on attending the Lewisburg WV meet next year.
Title: Re: Moss Motoring Challenge
Post by: Charles on July 28, 2016, 09:49:40 PM
Phil, I am doing the Challenge, the other day we were in Blythe AR and got our "kids lemonade stand"
7_destinations_childs_lemonade_stand011.jpg

Then the other day we got our"X" town,
1_city_town_xenophon_TN011.jpg

I met PJ in Louisville along with David from Moss.

charles
Title: Re: Moss Motoring Challenge
Post by: MGBV8 on July 29, 2016, 12:07:18 AM
You &  Perky were in Louisville?!  MG2016?
Title: Re: Moss Motoring Challenge
Post by: Charles on July 29, 2016, 08:02:04 AM
You betya. It was HOT even in the shade, glad the A/C decided to quit till after we got home. Were you in Louisville?

You planning on the Rugby thing that Jim W. is part of ?  Rugby is where I met your Dad.

Phil, Thanks for sharing your photos.

They say they do sell potatoes, but only New ones, not sure if I have ever eaten a used potatoe.

 I bet that trailer would be one fast ride, how does he aim it and where does he sit ? Oh I see, he stands on the back of the trailer.
Title: Re: Moss Motoring Challenge
Post by: britcars on July 29, 2016, 11:19:46 PM
Charles, I'm sure the trailer would be a fast and scary ride if the Avenger prop was its full 12 foot plus diameter.  :-)  The cut down prop cools the cylinders and the oil and musses up Jerry's hair but doesn't move it off the jackstands. It is impressive to watch the startup, all the smoke and the sound of that round engine at full throttle.
At one time a local company, Forest Protection, had the largest fleet of operating Avengers in the world. I loved the distinctive sound of that radial. Initially used for spruce budworm spraying, they were later converted into fire bombers, selling the last one in 2012 and replacing them with AT802 AirTractors, some on floats.
Title: Re: Moss Motoring Challenge
Post by: britcars on July 31, 2016, 09:40:11 PM
Charles:
We went for a tour today, covered about three hundred miles and stopped at the Woodsman's Museum about 45 miles from home.  They have a TBM Avenger in their yard built from parts recovered from planes that crashed either spraying or water bombing.
TBMAvenger2Copy.JPG
TBMAvenger3Copy.JPG
Title: Re: Moss Motoring Challenge
Post by: Charles on July 31, 2016, 10:35:53 PM
Thanks, that is a large plane and played a larger service during its life. They last and last, The DC3s are still in  service south of the other border.

I just finished reworking the A/C in my B, so I will be back out there trying to get another point or two.

Happy trails
charles
Title: Re: Moss Motoring Challenge
Post by: lawnvett on August 06, 2016, 04:56:20 PM
my challenge is going well but I won't be able to catch up with Perky & Charles.
One of the Miata guys has done 49 states!!
The WVA get together should be a hoot.