BritishV8 Forum

General Category => Triumph Sports Cars => Topic started by: tbo on February 24, 2016, 07:50:20 PM

Title: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: tbo on February 24, 2016, 07:50:20 PM
I've got the body off the TR3 that I'm putting a 2.3 Ford Turbo 5 speed in and I'm wondering if??After I clean and paint the frame with black rust paint,would it be advisable to spray it with a coat of black rocker guard to really protect it form any moisture in the future?Any pros and cons on this idea?
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: rampant racing on February 25, 2016, 01:38:43 AM
rubberized rocker guard or a can of bed liner would be better. but yea it will really help it out.
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: DiDueColpi on February 25, 2016, 03:03:40 AM
It will absolutely help Tim.
But with a caveat.
Whatever coating you use, it must be 100% full coverage. Any cracks, crevices or openings will become a huge problem.
What happens is moisture will hunt down any opportunity to enter between the film and your nice shiny new part.
It will remain in it's nice comfy new home migrating at will until it has destroyed the place.
Powder coated parts are particularly susceptible to this problem.
Any damage to the film upon assembly must be repaired and re sealed.
Done well your frame will be good forever, one mistake and it's toast tomorrow.

Live like you mean it.
Fred
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: tbo on February 25, 2016, 08:07:18 PM
Thanks guys. Just want ot say the rocker guard I'm thinking of using is rubberized. I'm thinking it will form a complete seal but  I will watch for tiny cracks
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: rampant racing on March 19, 2016, 02:56:27 AM
I used rubberised rocker guard on the aluminum wheel tubs in my pinto drag car . it lasted ten years without a mark and that was getting pelted by stones from the sticky slicks. it also prevented the soft aluminum from getting all dinged up .
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: tbo on April 11, 2016, 07:51:11 PM
After I got the frame cleaned and painted with POR 15 ,it looks so sealed that I don't see a need for rocker guarding after all. The underside of the body I still plan on doing with rocker guard and then body colour on top  since it is thinner metal  and maybe needs more help. Just an update on that particular question.
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: tbo on April 12, 2016, 07:38:01 PM
One more thing . A quart of POR 15 cost 112 dollars plus 13% tax for a total of 125.00 ! I'm sure its a lot cheaper in the States!
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: Scott Costanzo on April 14, 2016, 06:35:37 PM
Wow. I did the body work on my car back in 88-89 and back then I think I payed about $30 a quart for that stuff. I see Summit has it for about $48 a quart now. Must be the crazy exchange rate that's killing you.
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: Moderator on April 28, 2016, 11:56:49 PM
Tim, you might try shopping for a paint called "Chassis Saver" from a company called "Magnet". I've used it with truly excellent results... it's less expensive than POR15, and for me it's easier to find locally.

Tips:  transfer any Chassis Saver into an empty can for storing, make sure there are no drips onto the rim, and then make sure you never tilt the can after installing the lid. Otherwise, the lid will be permanently attached and you'll have to cut your way back in. Also, use a disposable brush and wear latex gloves!
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: tbo on May 10, 2016, 07:58:39 PM
Thanks for the info Curtiss. I think I'm done with  rust proofing the frame . for all other minor stuff I really like Tremclad in the spray bomb. Sprays nice  looks good and not expensive
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: dbeliveau on May 15, 2016, 10:13:07 PM
Anyone
Is Tremclad available in the lower 48?
Thanks,
Cheers
Dan
Title: Re: rocker guarding a frame?
Post by: mgb260 on May 16, 2016, 01:21:33 AM
Rustoleum in the U.S.