BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: relative4 on February 15, 2016, 12:17:35 AM

Title: Removing aluminum corrosion
Post by: relative4 on February 15, 2016, 12:17:35 AM
I need to replace the timing cover on my Rover 3.5, and I have a spare that's been sitting around a long time.  It's never been used, but it has accumulated a bunch of aluminum oxide that needs to come off before I can use it.  Any recommendations on a good solution?  Hopefully a spray to get into all the nooks and crannies?
Title: Re: Removing aluminum corrosion
Post by: ex-tyke on February 15, 2016, 10:16:46 AM
Might try good 'ole vinegar for a start. Commercial aluminum cleaners are, I think, muriatic acid based.
Then there are the CLR products that might have a suitable solution.

Edit: If it were mine, I'd get it bead blasted.
Title: Re: Removing aluminum corrosion
Post by: MGBV8 on February 15, 2016, 02:19:21 PM
I'm with Graham. Bead blast it.  I have a friend that used to spiff up his aluminum intake with Brillo pads.
Title: Re: Removing aluminum corrosion
Post by: relative4 on February 16, 2016, 04:23:10 PM
I assumed bead blasting would compromise the mating surfaces.  Not so?
Title: Re: Removing aluminum corrosion
Post by: ex-tyke on February 16, 2016, 05:01:59 PM
If it's done properly, one can easily avoid blasting the side/mating surfaces.
 I've done a few front covers and intake manifolds without any issues.
Title: Re: Removing aluminum corrosion
Post by: kstevusa on February 16, 2016, 06:11:54 PM
JUST BLAST IT WITH NUTS!    shells :-)
Title: Re: Removing aluminum corrosion
Post by: HealeyRick on February 17, 2016, 12:50:38 AM
Aluminum deoxidizer: http://www.californiacustom.com/aluminum_deoxidizer.html and Purple Polish:   http://www.californiacustom.com/purple_metal_polish.html