On the first full day of BritishV8 2015, Calvin got up early and photographed every cool car in the parking lot. He captured 51!
I'm putting together a "Cars of BritishV8 2015" article. Toward that end, I've matched 43 of these cars to owners. I'll paste the eight remaining cars below.
Please help ID the owners and home towns for these cars! Model year? Engine used? Cool distinguishing features? Do you have other cool photos of these cars? I believe these are eight cars we don't have How-It-Was-Done articles for yet.
Mystery1-2015-07-16-07.29.28.jpg
Car #1:
- owner?
- city/state?
- year model?
- engine/displacement?
- other details?
Mystery2-2015-07-16-07.28.48.jpg
Car #2:
- owner? (identified below as Rich Bergers')
- city/state? (St Louis, Missouri)
- year model?
- engine/displacement? (GM 3.4L V6)
- other details?
Mystery3-2015-07-16-07.27.51.jpg
Car #3:
- owner? (identified below as Simon Dix's)
- city/state? (Missouri)
- year model?
- engine/displacement? (Oldsmobile 215 V8)
- other details?
Mystery4-2015-07-16-07.27.35.jpg
Car #4:
- owner? (identified below as Bill Heath's)
- city/state? (Rogersville, Missouri)
- year model? (1969)
- engine/displacement?
- other details?
Mystery5-2015-07-16-07.27.43.jpg
Car #5:
- owner? (identified below as Mickey Richaud's)
- city/state? (Townsend, Tennessee)
- year model? (1969)
- engine/displacement? (GM 3.4L V6)
- other details? (T5)
Mystery6-2015-07-16-07.33.25.jpg
Car #6:
- owner? (identified below as Howard Hosp's)
- city/state? (Floyds Knob, Indiana)
- year model? (1974)
- engine/displacement? (GM 3.4L V6)
- other details?
Mystery7-2015-07-16-07.35.59.jpg
Car #7:
- owner? (identified below as Jim Watson's)
- city/state? (Maryville, Tennessee)
- year model? (1979)
- engine/displacement? (Rover 3.5)
- other details?
Mystery8-2015-07-16-07.36.27.jpg
Car #8:
- owner? (identified below as Matthew Blackwood's)
- city/state? (Florence, Kentucky)
- year model? (1986 XJ6)
- engine/displacement? (Chevy 350)
- other details? (200-4r automatic. Crown Vic fan. Conversion by Steve DeGroat.)
#4 - Bill Heath
#7 - Jim Watson
#8 - Matthew Blackwood
#5 - Mickey Richaud (me!) - '69 with a GM 3.4/T5 - Townsend, Tenn.
#7 - Jim Watson - '77 (?) - Rover 3.5 - Maryville, Tenn.
I think #2 is Rich Bergers 3.4L V6...he is from St. Louis ....
Thanks guys! I've updated the initial posts, to show what remains unanswered.
And I've got loads of follow-up questions.
You can find them at the end of the ROUGH DRAFT of the article, <a href="http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/BV82015-TheCars.htm">HERE</a>.
(please help me finish this one!)
Alan Moor lives in Tipp City, Ohio
Car #6 (#3 on your follow up listing) I think is Howard Hosps 3.4 V6....he lives in Floyds Knob, Indiana
Don Bonar was not in Indy
MIght want to change the working title to reflect 2015. ;)
Jean Gagne (MGB/4.3V6, Quebec) Did attend Indy. No MG cause he totaled it. Brought his guitar, instead.
Nick Pappas (MGB/Rover, Texas) Did not make it.
Daryl Siefert (AH3000, Lewisville, NC ) Did attend Indy. Healey did not make it the trip.
Don Watson (TR6/Ford, West Virginia) Did attend Indy with his TR6.
Mark Weitzman Did attend Indy. Arrived Friday evening? with his MG.
Jim Watson's Russet. :) Higher res. pics available.
TaterCar2.jpg
PO-TA-TO2.jpg
The car you show with WI Tags (7260) - is actually mine (Don Faber) - lots of opportunity to improve!
Yep, Don was there! :)
Got a free cleaning and polish, too! After this pic!
We're making good progress, guys. Thanks!
Have a look at the article to see the updates I've made. Two or three new photos too! Link: http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/BV82015-TheCars.htm
Still have a bunch of issues to work through, including these:
I need to find appropriate photos for these cars at the meet:
• Simon Dix's MGB with Rover V8
• Rick Ingram's 1974.5 MGB GT with Rover ~5.0L V8, Saint Joseph, Illinois (or did Rick leave it at home?)
• Tim Ringland's 19XX MGB with GM 3.4L V6, Wisconsin
• Don Watson's TR6 with Ford 5.0L V8, West Virginia
• Mark Weitzman's MGB with Oldsmobile 215cid V8, Royal Oak, Michigan)
Were these people at the meet, and did they bring sportscars?
• Les Matthews (MGB LE with Rover V8, Ontario)
• Phil Ossinger (MGB/Rover, New Brunswick) (I think I spotted Phil in a photo...)
• Richard Porter (TR6 with Rover V8 of Lebanon, Indiana)
• Brian Whately (or is it spelled Whatley?)
• Bill Wheat (MGB/Chevy, Indiana)
If so, do you have photos?
At the meet, but without their sportscars:
• Dan Blackwood (TR7 with Lexus V8, West Virginia)
• Jim Blackwood (MGB with Buick V8, Kentucky)
• Artie Clark (Corvette, New York)
• Eddie Cole?
• Dave Craddock (MGB V6, Michigan)
• Jean Gagne (MGB with 4.3V6, Quebec)
• PJ Lenihan (MGB GT with GM 3.4L V6, North Carolina)
• Dan Leichti (Ohio)
• Gord McFaul (Ontario)
• Terry Senneker (Michigan)
• T.R. Senneker (Michigan)
• Daryl Siefert (Austin Healey 3000, North Carolina)
• others?
(Note: this list doesn't really belong in THIS article, but I started it to help make sure we don't miss someone.)
BTW: I've selected this photo to go at the to of the BritishV8 2015 (table of contents) page:
Banner-BritishV82015.jpg
car #6 is a 1974 MGBGT owned by Howard Hosp 3330 Lawrence Banet rd. Floyds Knobs IN. It has a 1994 Camaro 3.4 with factory fuel injection and a 5 speed. I intend on writing an article this winter as the car is 99% done.
Curtis....I had too much crap to bring to the meet....I drove my F150 to BritishV8 2015.
Tim Ringland was unable to make the event due to mechanical failure.
Brian Whately passed away sometime early in 2015.
Bill Wheat was unable to make the event.
Eddie Cole was at British V8 with his conversion.
Phil Ossinger was at the event but without his car.
Steve Wayne was at the event and was a passenger in Jeb Blanchard's MGA conversion.
Don Watson was present for the first day but had other commitments later in the week.
Les Mathews was present but I do not believe he had his car.
Richard Porter was present...I do not remember seeing his car.
Attached is a photo of Simon Dix's MGB/GT V8 conversion.
SimonDixGT.jpg
Matthew's '85 XJ6 is fitted with a 383 small block chevy (350 at the meet) and 2004r (200-4r) transmission and is otherwise stock aside from a replacement stereo and speakers. The conversion was done by Steve DeGroat using a John's Cars kit. It also has a Crown Vic electric radiator fan.
Was there a shot of the blue factory V8 that showed up? Something rather unique wasn't it, maybe LHD? Looked a lot like Rich Berger's car as I recall.
Something seems kinda funny about that Avenger photo...
Jim
Is it true? (Or are you teasing me?) Did left-hand-drive factory MGB GT V8 chassis number "98" really come to this year's meet? Surely someone must have taken a whole mess of photos of it. !?!?!?!? It would be teal blue with an ochre interior. #98 was the second of just three left hand drive V8s built by Abingdon's engineering department, and it was the one car specifically built for crash testing so they could export MGB GT V8s to U.S.A. Eight additional pre-production LHD V8s were built on the Abingdon assembly line - before dumbasses in British Leyland senior management pulled the plug on the left hand drive version (evidently for internal political reasons). After surviving crash testing, MG sold #98 it to some bloke who stored it in an orchard for years. Then it was discovered. It was extensively rebuilt for Mr Lyle York of Anderson Indiana... who passed away just days before I could speak with him and properly document the story.
Howard, thanks for checking in here! I look forward to seeing your How It Was Done write-up and photos... and of course to meeting you in preson one day too.
Rick, you've filled in a lot of blanks for me. That photo of Simon Dix's car is helpful too. (Note Olds 215 with Offenhauser valve covers.)
Jim, you're right about that "Avenger" photo. I'll get right onto fixing that.
These articles take way more time and detail work than is sensible...
Big question: Is that red MGB in photo number ONE above Eddie Cole's car? Note the V8 fender badge and the Spurious windshield sticker.
Yes....Andy York brought the prototype MGB/GT V8 that his dad, Lyle, owned. He was participating in the GoF Central gathering on the north end of town and brought the V8 to the Clarion upon my request/invitation....so we had two factory V8s in attendance on Saturday. Andy had a BLAST with us, The car is awesome....I'm glad that the guys got to see it at BritishV8.
I asked Andy what the sensor posts on the inner fender of the engine bay where for...he was unable to answer. I'll contact a couple of factory workers that I know and query them on the subject.
I posted a write up on BritishV8 2015 in the "Pub" a while back. Feel free to use it as well on the "Meetings" forum.
Here's Andy's factory V8.
YorkV8_1.jpg
YorkV8_2.jpg
YorkV8_3.jpg
YorkV8_4.jpg
More of Andy's factory V8
YorkV8_5.jpg
YorkV8_6.jpg
YorkV8_7.jpg
YorkV8_9.jpg
Andy was very accommodating in answering questions about the car....and was given rides in a couple of conversions on the autocross course. He really enjoyed himself that day. I think we'll see him again.
YorkV8_10.jpg
YorkV8_11.jpg
Yes.....you have correctly identified Eddie Cole's car.
I thought car #7 was a UPS vehicle....
QuoteI thought car #7 was a UPS vehicle...
Express delivery!
Nope. It's Mr. Potato Head's personal car. :)
I received this response regarding the sensors on the inner fenders from Adrian Goodenough, who worked in C Block at Abingdon:
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************
On the development cars there was an issue with overheating and very low oil pressure when testing in Germany and on return to Abingdon they were fitted with temperature sensors for oil and water also inside the cabin and even one taped to the roof, to overcome the low oil pressure reading, all V8 production cars the oil gauges were re calibrated.
YorkV8_1.jpg
YorkV8_2.jpg
{Jean Gagne (MGB/4.3V6, Quebec) Did attend Indy. No MG cause he totaled it. Brought his guitar, instead.}
I got infected by the auction bug last week and ended up with Jean's car as salvage. Brought it home today. Will be busy next weekend buffing out the wrinkles. :-)
.
103_1370Copy.JPG
103_1371Copy.JPG
Yeah, that should buff right out. ;)
car#2 is my 1970 MGB/GT with 3.4 L V6, Fuel Injection, Mustang T5, A/C, MGC 15" Wire Wheels, and Cruise Control. All suspension and brakes are stock MGB. Color is Blue Royale.
Had a great time in Indy!
Curtis:
I just noticed that Jean Gagné's address is given as Quebec. He's actually from St. Andrew's, New Brunswick
Phil