BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: limey222 on September 11, 2015, 06:55:13 AM

Title: Pedal travel with HTOB
Post by: limey222 on September 11, 2015, 06:55:13 AM
I'm over here in the UK on vacation and I got to thinking about my clutch pedal travel.  The pedal travels all the way to the floor which is also the full stoke of the master cylinder.  I noticed that the clutch begins to engage at about the half way mark of the  pedal travel as I release it.  Should I think about installing a pedal stop to reduce the amount of movement as it is quite a stretch to put the pedal all the way to the floor.
Title: Re: Pedal travel with HTOB
Post by: Moderator on September 11, 2015, 11:59:36 PM
Yes, a pedal stop would be an excellent idea. In some cases a stop is necessary to keep the slave from hyper-extending and consequently damaging its seals.
Title: Re: Pedal travel with HTOB
Post by: limey222 on October 06, 2015, 09:28:52 AM
Came up with an interesting pedal travel stop.  I removed the clutch master cylinder and tapped the bottom hole with a 3/8" coarse tap.  Then I reinstalled the cylinder using a hex head bolt on the inside of the pedal box with a locknut.  by adjusting the "stick out" of the bolt I can restrict the pedal travel.  The bolt head works against the upper part of the pedal above the pivot point. A little adjustment goes a long way because of the pedal ratio.
Title: Re: Pedal travel with HTOB
Post by: DiDueColpi on October 06, 2015, 12:17:11 PM
Be careful that you don't punch through the pedal box and break the ears off of your master cyl.
There's a huge amount of leverage there.
Title: Re: Pedal travel with HTOB
Post by: limey222 on October 08, 2015, 02:39:11 PM
Fred,

I hear you but I have a jam nut up against the pedal box wall. I would have  to completely distort the wall to risk fracturing the flange.