BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: Anonymous User on August 31, 2015, 11:35:07 PM

Title: knock-on minilites
Post by: Anonymous User on August 31, 2015, 11:35:07 PM
Hi all,  

New member here, lifetime MGB owner, recently bitten with the V8 bug.  

I'm considering using 5.5x14 knock-on minilite wheels (sold by Moss and others) in a Rover V8 conversion to my 1973 B, restored in the 1990s with a BMH bodyshell.  I'm just doing the research for the conversion now.  

My B already has wire wheels, I love the knock-on look, and I'd like to use the stock rear end if I can, but I'm pretty sure the 42-year-old wires aren't up to the task.  

The minilites are certainly tough enough, but what about the splines on the hub?  Anyone out there have real-world experiences in this issue?  

Many thanks!
Title: Re: knock-on minilites
Post by: mowog1 on September 01, 2015, 08:12:11 AM
Race cars used knock-offs for years.

I would recommend replacing all four splined hubs with new to use with your new wheels.

As long as you're not building a mega-horsepower engine, you should have few, if any problems with the knock-offs, or for that matter, the stock differential.