BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: hirot on August 02, 2015, 01:18:10 PM

Title: Car lift
Post by: hirot on August 02, 2015, 01:18:10 PM
Not really sure where to post this....but I am looking for a low lift (ie 2-3ft) car lift to get under my MG and there seems to be lots of choices in the States but few in the UK. I have found a Sealey 2.5 ton hydraulic lift, model AVR2500A, which looks like it might work.
Does anyone know if they are any good or can suggest an alternative that will fit in a small garage, isn't too expensive and won't remove my exhaust when I drive over it.
Trolley jacks and axle stands are OK but hard work when you don't have much space.
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: britcars on August 02, 2015, 10:05:45 PM
Ian, here's a couple of options................one from the USA and another from the UK.  Something similar could be a DIY project for a person with a welder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWl3puPuPYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzCLiXxlCU&feature=youtu.be

http://www.carlift-ramp-mr1.com/
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: hirot on August 03, 2015, 10:38:45 AM
Phil, both ramp/lifts look very good my problem is storing them, other than always put the car on them.
I was hoping for something I could drive over and leave on the garage floor.  The Sealey one looks ideal if it works OK and doesn't remove the spoiler/exhaust.
The ramps do at least look substantial.
Title: Car lift
Post by: hirot on August 03, 2015, 12:46:10 PM
 -- moved topic --
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: rficalora on August 03, 2015, 08:32:21 PM
For folks with a lift like these, or with a 4-post lift, how convenient are they in practice?  I had the opportunity to get a 4-post lift for cheap but decided to hold out for a 2 post to make suspension work easier.  Now wondering whether there are operations that are easier on a 4-post.

Back on topic, did anyone get a picture of the 45° stand at the Skillman museum?  If memory serves, it had a '60s Mustang GT250 or GT350 on it.  I think if I needed a lift and had limited ceiling height, I'd build something that lifts like the linked ones above, but also tilts like that stand.
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on August 04, 2015, 03:23:03 PM
The 4 post lifts usually have an accessory bridge that lets you jack one or both ends of the car up from the center (made in various configurations) so you can do suspension work. You should ask Pete Mantell what he thinks, as I believe he has both.

That tilt frame was pretty slick. But it would have to be easier to load/unload before I would be interested.

Jim
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: mowog1 on August 04, 2015, 08:54:09 PM
6-24-15_f.jpg
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: rficalora on August 04, 2015, 09:21:41 PM
That's it.  So, now imagine ramps like in the linked ones but also with the air bag tilt feature.  If someone has limited ceiling height, I thi k it could ba a good option.

To Ian, could you recess the garage floor area where the lift is so it's flush when lowered?  That would resolve the storage problem.
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: MGBV8 on August 04, 2015, 09:26:23 PM
I have some more pics of that lift I need to get off my phone.

Or just jack up one side really high & use bigger, stronger jack stands.  ;)
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: hirot on August 06, 2015, 01:15:14 PM
What a lift. Suspect its not available over here and not cheap. Like the idea of it being on wheels.

Rob, my original starting point was a pit, however, I leave near a river, the water table is high and you only have to dig down a little way before you hit water so it wasn't an option. So going down for a lift would get a little complicated without relaying the whole floor.
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: MGBV8 on August 06, 2015, 02:23:01 PM
It could double as a hot tub.  ;)
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: hirot on August 07, 2015, 01:25:25 PM
Hadn't thought this one through. I guess I could rig the compressor up and get a jacussi.

Looked again at the sealey and it needs a tank with 200 litres I have only 50 so may be its back to long ramps.
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: hirot on August 10, 2015, 07:04:22 AM
Looked again at Phils web addresses and found QuickJack Portable Lifts ( http://www.quickjack.com/products/quickjack-accessories_quickjack-car-jack-support-system---5,000-pound-capacity.html ), which look like they could easily fit in the garage and raise the car enough. Problem is not too sure how to position them to raise the car without removing a wheel which kind of defeats the object.
Any one used or seen them as I think I can get them in the UK.
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: G.R. on October 14, 2015, 06:22:35 PM
You need to look at the Kwik-lift
It is a fantastic piece,  very easy to work with.  we use it non stop on my MGB GT as well as my sons corvette race car

They have been in business for some time and should be able to ship anywhere and be much cheaper then a hydraulic lift
kwiklift1.jpg
kwik5.jpg
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: HealeyRick on October 18, 2015, 06:27:52 PM
Here's a suggestion for a DIY lift that could be done inexpensively: http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/61273-poor-mans-qwik-lift-250-00-look.html
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: Mickey Richaud on October 19, 2015, 04:19:33 AM
X2 on the Kwik-Lift.  I like mine.
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: Charles on October 23, 2015, 10:11:43 PM
Mickey,
What would be wrong with this setup? It is light weight, portable, and will work with most cars or trucks. You would need a crub or a pot hole.


truckonsticksjpg.jpg
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: DiDueColpi on October 24, 2015, 01:35:36 AM
I dunow. Them 2x4's are gettin pretty expensive these days.
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: Mickey Richaud on October 24, 2015, 06:27:12 AM
Charles -

Looks good to me.

'Cept I'd be a bit concerned about termites.  Then you're talking pressure treated, and those are REALLY 'spensive!
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: Charles on October 24, 2015, 09:56:30 PM
Ian, a car friend has a car lift that uses a hand drill to raise and lower the car. I think he said "EZcarLift.com". When not in use he stand aganist the wall.

I am spoiled I have a 2 post lift, it has some pros and cons just as the 4 post lifts.
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: MGBV8 on October 26, 2015, 10:10:29 AM
That would be pretty handy, Charles. I think they would sell a lot more of them at a lower price point, though.

http://ezcarlift.com/ezcarlift_video.html
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: rficalora on October 26, 2015, 01:03:36 PM
I agree Carl.  Not sure about prices in other areas, but around here, $1800-2000 will buy a barely used major brand 2 post lift or a brand new off-brand one.
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: mowog1 on October 27, 2015, 12:00:00 PM
Here's a heavy-duty four post lift....you would, of course, need an end-loader.

CoultasFourPostLift.jpg

I have a 220v two-post lift with a 10,000 pound capacity that I purchased through Eagle Lifts about 10 years ago. It was about $1500 at that time.

Liftinaction1.jpg
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on October 27, 2015, 12:55:21 PM
Those are hard to beat. I have a 2 post Rotary (9K) removed from a Ford dealership. Paid me for the first patent application I ever did for another individual. That may have been a high price to pay, but then again, I was still in school. I felt fortunate to get anything at all for it.

Jim
Title: Re: Car lift
Post by: MGBV8 on October 28, 2015, 11:03:07 AM
Four post lift for lower ceilings.

http://www.nationalautotools.com/vehicle-lifts/four-post-automotive-lifts/nss-8-8000-lb-service-storage-four-post-automotive-lift

Two post taller version of the MaxJax. They had to remove the wheels, though, & quit calling it a portable lift. Somehow MaxJax now owns "portable lift".  :(

http://www.nationalautotools.com/vehicle-lifts/two-post-automotive-lifts?product_id=190