BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: madmax on October 19, 2008, 07:56:37 PM

Title: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: madmax on October 19, 2008, 07:56:37 PM
Hey All!

Okay, we've chosen the dates:

June 7th (Sunday Evening) thru June 10th (Wednesday) will be next year's V8 meet in Durham, North Carolina.  

Motel arrangements are next.   Tech sessions will be centered out of Durham (some at shops, some in the parking lot) and other activities will take us up to Virginia!

Registration to begin after the hotel is arranged.    But start marking your calendars and getting the time off!    :-)

Look forward to seeing as many of you as possible next year,

Thanks,

Max Fulton and Emily Turner
NCMGCC
And Spurious V8 Club
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: Bill Young on October 20, 2008, 08:32:25 AM
Thanks Max, I just put it on my calendar for next year. Looking forward to seeing you all again.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: Citron on October 27, 2008, 12:17:07 PM
Max,

Margaret and I will be there.  Let us know if we can help.  Do you want some of those monogrammed totes?
If so, what do you want on them?
Steve.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: psmg on October 27, 2008, 01:57:34 PM
Hey Max,

Mary and I have it marked on the calendar. I'm working on the new project with Durham as the deadline. Kind of like "Hot August Nights" for the Hotrodders. Like Steve, let us know if we can help.

Paul
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: madmax on October 27, 2008, 05:48:57 PM
Steve & Margaret:

Yes on the totes!   I thought those made wonderful "door prizes" to be raffled off.  

We can either devise the "logo" and have those put on (if not too much of a pain..) OR just leave Margaret to her creative devices!  :-)  

Something 2009, British V8-ish.  (Our designer is still working on logo.)  

How much advance notice do you need?

M
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: Dads Toy on October 28, 2008, 08:24:55 AM
This is soo cool that is near me. I posted it on my calender and looking forward to being there. Going to be starting a project soon and hope I can get it completed for the meet.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: Citron on October 29, 2008, 12:44:34 PM
Max,

We can look at the logo, but it may have to be digitized for her to use it on the machine.
How many do you want?
We, actually, She would need2 or 3 weeks notice at a min.

Steve
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: mowog1 on December 23, 2008, 11:04:52 PM
My vacation request has been granted....Jean and I will be at British V8 2009.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on December 24, 2008, 12:29:55 AM
Cool!
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: RMO 699F on December 24, 2008, 11:27:33 AM
Thats great news Rick!
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: kayakjack on December 24, 2008, 03:27:25 PM
That's great news Rick!   I have my reservation made and hope to see you all there!
Regards, Jack
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: brdave on January 15, 2009, 06:59:02 PM
Fantastic!  Look forward to seeing you all there!

dave b.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: britcars on February 16, 2009, 02:23:25 PM
Made my hotel reservation today and am planning to take in some of the Heacock Classic Races at Virginia Int'l Raceway
Here's a link to some photos of the 2008 vintages races.  Lots of LBCs and aircraft.


http://www.virclub.com/index.php?option=com_g2bridge&view=gallery&Itemid=247/&g2_itemId=10828

Phil Ossinger
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: mowog1 on March 22, 2009, 09:56:03 AM
My registration and money is in the mail.

I have also created a new racing team, "Lardbutt Racing" and will be competing at the kart track. Anyone interested in joining this team?  I should advise that we do have MINIMUM weight requirements.

:)
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: kstevusa on March 22, 2009, 01:44:10 PM
Rick, is that LAR or LBR?    :)
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: MGBV8 on March 31, 2009, 08:08:03 PM
Lardbutt Racing??

It ain't your butt that's outa shape, but it does rhyme with it!  ;)
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: danmas on March 31, 2009, 09:58:40 PM
Reservations made, registration mailed. See you there!
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: rficalora on March 31, 2009, 10:49:53 PM
Anyone heading to the event passing through Dallas or Houston?  I'm planning to register tomorrow.  I have plenty of frequent flier miles so will likely fly, but if someone's headed that way & is interested in a co-pilot, let me know.  My car is close but won't be finished in time to drive it.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: MGBV8 on April 01, 2009, 05:51:58 PM
"My car is close but won't be finished in time to drive it."

Now, that is optimism, Rob!  ;)
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: rficalora on April 01, 2009, 07:33:38 PM
Man Carl, you don't know how hard it was to admit that... to my self... it was like an alcholic at his first AA meeting...  If I had 3-4 solid days it'd be ready to go to paint... but the only time I can work on it for more than 20-30 mins is on the weekends.  This weekend is a cub scouts camp out for my #2 son; next weekend is Easter & family is coming in town because #1 son is getting baptized...  So the 3-4 days work time puts me at end of April.  Paint shop will need the car for about a month.  So that'd mean getting it plumbed, wired (which i've never done before), and sorted out in the 7-10 days left before I'd be heading out for NC.  If I didn't feel so guilty about not making it to any Roadmaster weekends, I'd be trying to get a few ouf you to come visit Houston to help me get it off to the paint shop!  I'm pushing, just dealing with reality of the calendar at the same time.

At least I've made my reservation at the hotel & downloaded the form so I can get it off to Max so I'll be there either way.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on April 02, 2009, 09:06:54 AM
Don't let Carl bust yer chops Rob, he's into Scouting also and has the same kind of time demands you do so if anybody understands he does. Just bring your own bad self and anyone else you can drag along. We'll be glad to see you.

Jim
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: MGBV8 on April 02, 2009, 04:24:57 PM
Hang in there, Rob!  

I hear ya. Just got back from a spring break family vacation and I'll be gone all this weekend for Spring Ordeal (I'm being inducted into the Order of the Arrow). Been a Scout Leader for 8 years (my 14 yo son is working on his Eagle rank). I'm also starting my 10th year of coaching Little League.

Right now, my daughter is playing baseball (pitching machine league), my son is in the middle school band, on the track team, playing Spring soccer league, & in Boy Scouts.

I don't think I'll get to do anything to my MG (I did remove the roll bar back in Feb.) before the V8 Meet. I may just ride my Harley.   :)
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: TR6-6SPD on April 02, 2009, 08:27:22 PM
Carl,

 Did you get the rear brakes fixed?

 Ken
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: MGBV8 on April 02, 2009, 08:44:48 PM
Oops, I knew I forgot something!  :)

I did buy 2 new rear wheel cylinders, but haven't gotten around to installing them. The handful of times I've gotten to drive it was with the same jerry-rigged setup (needle nosed vise grips pinching off the fluid to the rear brakes.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on April 03, 2009, 09:23:01 AM
Now Carl, you know that's a Safety issue and Safety issues take priority. At some point those vise grips are just going to fall off unexpectedly and then what? ;-)  As a family man you just can't go around doing that stuff like when we were youngsters. You really need to make time and fix it.

Not that I'm not also guilty of stuff like that but you know what I'm saying. I want to see you driving your MG. But I'm even worse, mine is laid up for big repairs and I can't seem to even find the time to adjust the primary chain on the bike so it's just work, work work, nose to the grindstone instead of getting out and feeling the wind. We need a little time for personal fun just to stay balanced. So... "Git 'er Done!"

Jim
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: MGBV8 on April 03, 2009, 04:54:48 PM
I put zip ties around the pliers, then more zip ties to hold it securely to the brake line.  I used 5 or 6 total. Those pliers are there 'til I cut 'em loose.

I hear ya though, I'll get right on. Uh, when I get back from camping.  ;)
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on April 20, 2009, 09:57:09 AM
A thought occurred to me, (yeah, that really did happen. Amazing isn't it?) and just for giggles I'm going to re-open the whole big controversy about what we call the annual meet. Doesn't that sound like fun?!!?

OK, here's the deal. Last time around we pretty much determined that whoever was organizing the meet could call it whatever the heck they wanted to, and that seems pretty fair. But how about this, maybe we should call it the "Nationals" because it's the one big meet of the year, except for when somebody else organizes a meet that is and because it's a country-wide event. What do you guys think?

Jim
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: Moderator on April 20, 2009, 11:05:42 AM
For publicity purposes it's good to be able to refer to "The Thirteenth Annual (insert name) Meet". If the name keeps changing every year, reader comprehension declines. I think it's already proven useful and effective to build a brand name through repetition, even if the brand name itself isn't perfect. I wouldn't have picked the name BritishV8<sup>TM</sup> - but I don't intend to stop using it during the term that I'm editor/webmaster. The name BritishV8 has developed brand recognition outside our little niche with potential future participants (such as the readers of "Jalopnik" or the Grassroots Motorsports message board just as examples) and with potential future sponsors.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: mowog1 on April 20, 2009, 07:08:02 PM
No comment.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: ex-tyke on April 20, 2009, 08:13:52 PM
I'm afraid I'll have to side with Curtis on this one.....otherwise someone might change the name to
          "The British V8, V6, Rotary and All Other Nondescript Engine Configurations Thrown in for Good Measure Meet"
Sometimes it's less confusing to leave things alone.......
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on April 21, 2009, 09:55:27 AM
I just thought the British V8 Nationals had a nice ring to it. Though actually when you consider that it includes people from Canada, GB, Australia and other countries, International or World might be more appropriate. Well, it was just a passing thought. I really expected more controversy.

Jim
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: Bill Young on April 21, 2009, 01:39:24 PM
Feel like the Red Baron Jim? I also agree with Curtis, 13th annual British V8 meet is fine. But we could also add a sub title for each event relating to the site or sponsor as well. Last year could have been the "Wisconsin Wildtimes" so such and Max can come up with something for this years meet that would be appropriate. That way we have some method of keeping each year's event unique but maintain the continuity Curtis mentions.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: Moderator on April 21, 2009, 07:43:58 PM
QuoteBut we could also add a sub title for each event relating to the site or sponsor as well.

Cool idea... and there's precedent too: "The Driving Experience of 2005" (http://www.britishv8.org/2005-British-V8-Car-Meet.htm)
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: mowog1 on April 21, 2009, 09:20:49 PM
Wait til you see what we have for British V8 2010.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: ex-tyke on April 22, 2009, 09:25:49 AM
RE:    Wait til you see what we have for British V8 2010.
    ..........Slalom event in a Hooters Indy parking lot?
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on April 22, 2009, 10:14:07 AM
With Cheerleaders?
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: madmax on May 27, 2009, 08:32:37 AM
ALL:  

This is your "pre-meet" message.  

a) IF YOU HAVEN"T sent in your registrationn, do so NOW, please!    I've got to give final numbers on the banquet, lunches, regalia, etc.at the end of this week!  So, a bunch of people signing up "in person" really messes that up!  (And, frankly, not sure I'll get you covered for all the "free lunches"!)   For instance,  I've got 15 people who signed up for the MOTEL but still haven't sent in their form!   If this is you and you're still coming.... get on it!  (Please.  :-)  )   That being said, I also already have over 45 people registered!   So, should be a very large meet and you won't want to miss it!   (blah blah blah)


b) IF YOU ARE COMING KARTING:  you'll need long pants, closed toed shoes, and preferably a long shirt (though they'll make you wear a jacket if you don't.)    Gloves are also suggested.  (I wear fingerless gloves to protect my palms from blisters.)    This WILL get your heart rate up and your adrenaline pumping!      We will go in multiple "short" sessions rather than longer ones to get everyone onto the track quickly and to give some "rest" time for the others!  

c) When you get your registration packet there will be maps inside for each of the day's activities.    While those with GPS are free to use them, note that these directions have been made this way for specific reasons:  avoid morning traffic, see interesting sights, pass cool restaurants, etc.    The only time I know that you WILL want your GPS is for the drive BACK from VA, when you can venture off to go whichever way you want (there are easily 3 different ways to get back...) and hit a restaurant on the way, etc.

d)  Expect it will be HOT.  (90F+)   When you register we will even give you water bottles (!) for you to put in your room fridge.    We hope that it won't be that bad, but I'd rather you are prepared for the worst and then pleasantly surprised when it's not so hot.   :-)  

e) Remember to bring Sunscreen!   Those who forget, see Me-- we'll have some bopping around.  

f) Registrations.   Emily and I will "man the room" on Sunday afternoon/evening, but anyone arriving after that just track us down as we'll be fully involved in hosting the events.    

g) Those showing up early to see the Vintage Races at VIR on Sunday (or earlier...), rem. that the V8 Parade Laps are at 10:30am, which means you'll want to have gathered (I don't know where yet.  I would guess SOUTH paddock) by 10 am.     Those who can join us (The B-Stingers) for our Saturday night movie I'll try to have better details at that time...  

See you in two weeks!

Max & Emily
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: MGBV8 on May 27, 2009, 06:09:37 PM
Cool, I thought the V8 Parade Laps were gonna be held on Saturday.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: MGBV8 on May 28, 2009, 06:02:57 PM
Heads up!

"Three-day tickets for the Heacock Historic Gold Cup Races are available online at www.virclub.com for only $30 in advance or $10 for single-day admission.  Three-day tickets at the gate are $40 and one-day tickets are $20 per day. Advance and on-line sales end at 5:00 Wednesday afternoon.  Camping and food are available and anyone 15 and under is admitted free with a paying adult. "
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: mowog1 on May 28, 2009, 07:49:22 PM
So.....those of us going on Sunday should get the one-day ticket online for $10 rather than $20 per person at the gate.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: SpuriousV8 on May 30, 2009, 11:13:00 AM
Just bought my one day Ticket for the VIR for Sunday.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: MGB SS on May 30, 2009, 06:22:26 PM
Just to let Max and everybody else know I will NOT be at the Meet this Year.  I just canceled my room at the hotel (Ext stay on Miami)  
The lady at the Hotel said that there is Rooms still available for that week so I didn't post it here first.  Hope everybody has a great and safe trip,  I will see you all next Year.

Joe
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: Moderator on May 30, 2009, 08:42:34 PM
I'm saddened to hear that, Joe. You'll certainly be missed.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: kstevusa on May 30, 2009, 09:34:07 PM
Joe, we'll miss you.   Best of luck.  Next year maybe?
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: MGBV8 on May 30, 2009, 11:33:49 PM
Say it ain't so, Joe!   Hope all is well on the home front.

We'll all miss your smilin' face.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: rficalora on May 31, 2009, 06:41:43 PM
That's a bummer Joe.  Hope everything is ok.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: mowog1 on June 03, 2009, 10:25:09 AM
We'll miss you, Joe!
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: Bill Young on June 07, 2009, 09:51:55 PM
We're all here and it's kicked off with a great party in the parking lot. A great day at VIR as well with some good vintage racing and a nice couple of parade laps for the V8 group. For those of you that couldn't make it we'll be posting photos when we get home and get them downloaded.
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: rficalora on June 07, 2009, 11:10:13 PM
Jim posted some MG pics from VIR... thought I'd share a few of the oter races we saw...
2009-06-07VirginiaInternationalRaceway16.jpg

2009-06-07VirginiaInternationalRaceway2.jpg

Now, let's see... if I flatten the bump stop bulge, you think I could fit those rear tires... ok, never mind.
2009-06-07VirginiaInternationalRaceway22.jpg
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: mowog1 on June 08, 2009, 12:29:20 AM
What a great first day!

We had a lot of fun...and rekindled a lot of friendships!
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: MGB SS on June 10, 2009, 11:11:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

Sounds like everyone is having a blast, as expected.

Everything is ok here just swamped and traveling way to much for work.

I am sure there will be lots of pictures and info posted soon so I can sort through it all and see what I missed

Hope everyone gets home safe.

Joe
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: joshuafrfld701 on November 26, 2009, 06:34:11 AM
This is so cool that is near me. I posted it on my calender and looking forward to being there. Going to be starting a project soon and hope I can get it completed for the meet, dale earnhardt jr calendar (http://www.thetimefactory.com/collections/all/daleearnhardtjr).
Title: Re: BRITISH V8 2009
Post by: mowog1 on November 26, 2009, 10:34:30 AM
re: new
Posted by: joshuafrfld701
Date: November 26, 2009 06:34AM


This is so cool that is near me. I posted it on my calender and looking forward to being there. Going to be starting a project soon and hope I can get it completed for the meet, dale earnhardt jr calendar.
*****************************************************************************************************

Note that this thread is regarding a meet that was held in June of 2009. The next meet will ne July 7-12, 2010 in Indianapolis, IN.