BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: MGB567 on July 09, 2015, 04:22:37 AM

Title: Question for GT owners
Post by: MGB567 on July 09, 2015, 04:22:37 AM
I'm trying to decide having removed all the chrome window/gutter finishers for painting whether to leave them off permanently. I can't find an example so if you've done this got a pic or two? If you left the finishers under the rear 1/4 lights off did you remove the 4 'bumps' in the body (where the rivets go)?
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: Moderator on July 09, 2015, 02:07:11 PM
Well, you'll find a few snapshots of my GT (sans gutter trim) here:
http://www.britishv8.org/mg/CurtisJacobson-MossChallenge2014.htm
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: MGB567 on July 10, 2015, 03:44:09 AM
Thanks Curtis. Did you do anything with the 4 bumps or are they a feature?
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: MustangSix on July 21, 2015, 08:07:20 AM
If I do another GT or redo the current one I think I might have the trims painted satin black.
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: danmas on July 21, 2015, 11:44:21 AM
QuoteIf I do another GT or redo the current one I think I might have the trims painted satin black.

I did that once on a '72 Celica GT. With a grey metallic paint it looked great.
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: tdecell on November 27, 2015, 01:11:30 PM
I'm thinking of doing that on my GT build, can't decide whether to go with satin black or a gunmetal grey color... Car will be Aqua/turquoise..
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: hirot on November 30, 2015, 12:32:19 PM
Don't know if its too late but have you thought of putting in a tilt and slide sunroof. I cut around a 1994 Nissan Micra sunroof and welded into mine. It works a treat. Cost £25 about $37
Painted.JPG
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on November 30, 2015, 01:08:35 PM
Brilliant!
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: MGBV8 on November 30, 2015, 01:38:47 PM
Very nicely done!  I would much prefer that over the Webasto.
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: Charles on November 30, 2015, 11:05:32 PM
COOl, COOL, COOL. How much head room did it cost?

This is one of those, I wish, " I wish I had thought of that "

More pictures if you please. We love pictures.
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: hirot on December 01, 2015, 08:09:39 AM
Thank you. I have loads of pictures and an article I did for the MG owners club which I can send or put somewhere if someone could tell me how.

You loose very little head room and I am 6ft 1". There is no wind buffeting even at 110mph (so far) and it is like a soft top without the wind on the back of your neck.

It was so cheap a mod that I went back and cut the roof of another Nicra for £15 this time, so I had a spare.

As I put it into a heritage shell I had found it took me a long time and lots of measuring before I cut the hole.

Ian
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: Moderator on December 01, 2015, 06:40:04 PM
Super!

BritishV8 doesn't reprint articles from club magazines, but we'd be delighted to run a bigger and better new article.  (I like to include a LOT of close-up photos of details.)  Find out more here: http://www.britishv8.org/British-V8-How-To-Contribute.htm
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: hirot on December 02, 2015, 04:28:38 AM
Curtis, I will read through the "how to" stuff and put something together. My only problem will be as it was done a while back I can't take any more photos of the fitting.

Very pleased the roof gets approval it has certainly earned its cost of £25, was simple to do, but took a lot of nerve to drill that first hole.
Title: Re: Question for GT owners
Post by: lawnvett on December 03, 2015, 09:21:11 AM
I love it

I have one from a range rover, unfortunately it did take up too much head room and now it's leaking H2O
IMG_1470.jpg
IMG_1516.jpg
IMG_1589.jpg
PJinBGTarrivingReno.jpg