BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: CarlM on June 13, 2015, 05:48:58 PM

Title: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: CarlM on June 13, 2015, 05:48:58 PM
I just got a '72 MGB. I checked it out as best I could before I bought it, and now I'm just playing around with it, checking it over in the garage. I think I'll be having some fun with this little thing.
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: mowog1 on June 14, 2015, 09:21:12 AM
Welcome.
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: MGBV8 on June 14, 2015, 12:00:57 PM
Hi & welcome from another Carl M. F.   Where you from? We will be glad to enable you to turn you MG into something properly Spurious.  ;)
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: billymgb1000 on June 14, 2015, 06:23:33 PM
Hello Carl is your car a v8 ?, or do you intend on putting one in. just wondering and how about some pics.
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: MGBV8 on June 14, 2015, 07:45:04 PM
Yep. Buick 215 over 14 years ago.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/CarlFloyd.htm
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: mowog1 on June 14, 2015, 11:04:14 PM
Carl M....what is the plan for your MGB?
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: CarlM on June 21, 2015, 04:02:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Apparently, or at least quite probably, I have entered an MG forum where the MG as it was originally designed is no longer the topic.

I've been asked what my plans are with this '72, but what I heard was, "Don't you know this forum is for modified MGs with super engines and trannies"? I didn't when I joined.

Anyway, I want to tinker with it and keep it running like a little sports car should. As for changing out the motor with a V-6 or an 8, nah- not in the cards. I just want to enjoy it like it is, and have some cool fun driving it.

You guys still love me??? ha ha

Here it is.
IMAG0513crop.jpg
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: ex-tyke on June 21, 2015, 05:33:10 PM
Hang around this site long enough and you'll see the benefits of modification.
In the meantime, here's another popular forum for the unmodified.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/list.php?1
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: BMC on June 21, 2015, 11:58:03 PM
Hi Carl,

Welcome to this site and the other that Graham mentioned is very good as well. No one will mind you in the conversion section over on that website either but there are original sections for the cars that have tons of modified suspension but posting in a section about how to best fix my SIF type carbs on a section of forums that is about tuning fuel injection is going to get you substantially less response thus people directing you to the best place- not to say your not invited but to say the best response is going to be elsewhere.

No matter where you do your major posting- Welcome!

-BMC.
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: Preform Resources on June 22, 2015, 11:32:41 AM
Like lookin at the sun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but momma that's where the fun is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice looking ride there Carl !
Dave
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: Spitfire 350 on June 22, 2015, 12:55:09 PM
Carl M,
Welcome, but be careful, things around here can be contagious. Someone will take you for a ride in their conversion and you might still be able to resist. Then someone will let you drive their conversion. That will be your first drink of the Kool-Aid, and from there on, your life (and your car) will never be the same. Can we look forward to meeting you in Indy next month?
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on June 22, 2015, 08:56:58 PM
Nothing wrong with an original MGB. Well, that's not entirely true. After all it cannot be denied that cars these days are more reliable and require less maintenance, even disregarding improvements in power. braking, handling, interior, paint, etc, etc. On this site we do embrace all improvements regardless of what shortcoming they address, and if you drive your car long enough you will find a few things you wouldn't mind improving. Purists will insist that this tendency runs counter to the proper car of the car, but traditionalists will say that these improvements would have been embraced by Cecil Kimber and his followers. Regardless, you are welcome here.

Jim
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: Moderator on June 23, 2015, 03:03:52 AM
Welcome to BritishV8, Carl.

That's a particularly handsome MGB, BTW. Sometimes I forget how much I like Rostyle wheels. Yours look great.

Do keep in mind that BritishV8 isn't just a message board. We have quite a lot of articles about other aspects of the British car hobby besides engine swaps. (good example) (http://www.britishv8.org/articles/britishmotorheritage-intro.htm)
Title: Re: I am new to MG and this site
Post by: CarlM on June 23, 2015, 12:01:05 PM
Thanks for the good words. And thanks for that link. Cheers!