does anyone know a source for V-8 coil springs for the stock front end or should I use the the lowering springs from Moss or the other MG venders?
I used the 550 lb. springs on my '77 conversion, mainly to get the height down. These are available from Moss. I'm not sure of the load-rating of the V8 springs.
Most conversions work fine with the stock springs.
Jim
Jim wrote: "Most conversions work fine with the stock springs."
Considering that your new (Ford) engine will probably only weigh about 40# more than the stock engine installation (unless you load up on goodies like air conditioning), I'd second that. If you're keen to lower the car a bit, lowering it with shorter front springs probably isn't the ideal solution. A technically-better alternative would be to use modified spindles ("drop spindles") such as the very good ones Targett MotorSports sells... the geometry is better (avoiding bump steer, etc.) and you don't have to compromise wheel travel. Of course springs settle over time, so they can be a frustrating and recurring problem. Coilovers (with adjustable spring perches) are very nice because you can easily re-level or re-balance the car over its life.
I have to replace the old springs in the rebuild anyway and just looking for a new set didn't know the stock one's were strong enough don't really want to lower it , had it on the ground the other day to check clearance and it sits low now and with a new set it should pick it up alittle the old springs have about 150 k of spirited driving on them. the first idea on the build was Fastcars front end but due to a major lack of funds I'm converting the old front end and converting it to tube shocks. thanks for the info all