BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: mgbazza on August 08, 2014, 09:08:38 PM

Title: Cold start problem
Post by: mgbazza on August 08, 2014, 09:08:38 PM
It 's winter down under & this one is very cold by our standards. At start up, I have to keep the revs up at 3000rpm otherwise the engine dies.I can keep it alive by pumping the gas pedal , but until the temp rises I can't get a steady tickover. once warm the tickover is 1000rpm in neutral.& the car runs very well. Any ideas ?
engine --- Range Rover 3.5
carb--------Edelbrock 500    manual choke
manifold--Buick 215
pump----- Carter
                            Rhds, Barrie E
Title: Re: Cold start problem
Post by: robert1839 on August 09, 2014, 11:37:30 PM
i had a simulare problem on my original MGB engine and for me the choke wasn't coming on all the way  when i pulled the cable. so i would check that see if it is on all the way. try cupping you hands over the carb intake to simulate the coke being on and see if that helps, if it helps i say the coke isnt on all the way and if it dose nothing i am stumped.
Title: Re: Cold start problem
Post by: 302GT on August 12, 2014, 09:52:48 PM
A low air cleaner can interfere with the choke.
Title: Re: Cold start problem
Post by: mgbazza on August 13, 2014, 11:27:02 PM
Larry, I had that problem once before. I  cured it by using the top air filter plate from one maker & the bottom plate from another maker. Barrie E
Title: Re: Cold start problem
Post by: MGBV8 on August 14, 2014, 09:43:01 AM
Hi Barrie.

Been wondering how you've been doin.  The symptoms sound like a car with no choke at all. Like mine. I take it you have removed the air cleaner & verified that the choke plate is actually closing when you pull the cable?
Title: Re: Cold start problem
Post by: mgbazza on August 14, 2014, 08:39:28 PM
Good point Carl. I removed the choke plate last summer when it wasn't needed. I might have to replace it now with this cold winter we're having. Assuming I can still find it ! This is the first time I've used an Edelbrock carby. Holley carbs always seem to work better with the plate removed. We live & learn I guess. Rgds, Barrie