BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: rficalora on July 20, 2014, 08:22:51 AM

Title: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: rficalora on July 20, 2014, 08:22:51 AM
I'll start... these are from day 1 of our trip... 9.5hrs of driving & still in Texas, but it was a great day.  Started out, it was only about 75 degrees out; we had sweatshirts on -- who'd have believed that for July in TX.  By about 1pm it wasn't cold.

Plan to get into COS around 2 or 2:30 today...

Stopped at Cadillac Ranch...
DSC_0280-CopyMedium.JPG

Are Cadillac's GM or MG?
DSC_0289-CopyMedium.JPG

Nex stop was Palo Duro Canyon -- 2nd in size to the Grand Canyon...
DSC_0310-CopyMedium.JPG
DSC_0325-CopyMedium.JPG
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: rficalora on July 20, 2014, 08:26:09 AM
And some more...
DSC_0352-CopyMedium.JPG

On the way back to Amarillo from Palo Duro, we ran across the "Route 66 Speedway" so decided to check it out...  Dirt track; lots of fun!
DSC_0371-CopyMedium.JPG
DSC_0368-CopyMedium.JPG

And, that was it for day 1...
DSC_0394-CopyMedium.JPG
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: MGBV8 on July 20, 2014, 09:41:48 AM
I can hear Bruce singing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc-xXOE1Jws
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: rficalora on July 20, 2014, 02:24:21 PM
Just passed into New Mexico and stopped for lunch.  Drew picked DQ so we may be an hour later than planned...  DQ is the slowest fast food place on the planet!
17730-1.jpg
17729-1.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: lawnvett on July 20, 2014, 03:28:58 PM
The guys and Gals are arriving and the beer is on ice, time for party
BritV8sCO.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: rficalora on July 20, 2014, 05:43:35 PM
Quoteand the beer is on ice

You know, that's just mean for those of us with another hour and a half or so of hot pavement between us and those frosty beverages!
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: mowog1 on July 20, 2014, 07:09:22 PM
It will be worth the wait, Rob...


BTW....I have good news for you that can be found in a PM here on BV8.org.
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: lawnvett on July 21, 2014, 12:28:44 AM
IMG_2006.jpg
IMG_2007.jpg
IMG_2008.jpg

the meeting & the greeting & the eating & the drinking its still going on outside my Hilton window, I'm just abought ready for bed
 it;s been a long been a long been a long day

we are a friendly group having fun with out sporty little cars!

tomorow we go driving for miles and miles of steep wiggle Rocky Mountain roads
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: Preform Resources on July 21, 2014, 02:07:52 PM
Yeah, I see Calvin and Brenda's rig there ! Rob, nice pics of your ride, uh,, was that a world of outlaws race at 66 ?
Dave
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: rficalora on July 22, 2014, 01:50:44 AM
Not world of outlaws Dave; was a USRA race.

Here are some more pics from today...
2014-07-21BritishV8TriptoHogHeaven11Medium.JPG
2014-07-21BritishV8TriptoHogHeaven18Medium.JPG
2014-07-21BritishV8TriptoHogHeaven21Medium.JPG
2014-07-21BritishV8CliveCusslerMuseum9Medium.JPG
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: lawnvett on July 22, 2014, 07:14:05 PM
Great drive with Merv Hagen in his 1973 Etype Jag up Pikes Peak Elevation 14,100 ft

photo failed to load will try later
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: mowog1 on July 22, 2014, 07:19:10 PM
I drove by the Mustang Ranch when I was out in Reno.

Does that count?

<grin>
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: mowog1 on July 22, 2014, 10:05:19 PM
I just got off of the phone with Carl....sounds like you guys are having a blast!
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: rficalora on July 23, 2014, 01:49:21 AM
Quotesounds like you guys are having a blast!

Can't speak for everyone, but Drew & I are.  Here are our pics from today...
2014-07-23BritishV8PikesPeakandAirForceAcademy25Medium.JPG
2014-07-23BritishV8PikesPeakandAirForceAcademy11Medium.JPG
2014-07-23BritishV8PikesPeakandAirForceAcademy28Medium.JPG

Drew & I skipped the Carriage House museum to tour the Air Force Adademy instead (Drew was Corps Commander of his High School JROTC program)... Here are a couple pics from there...

The Air Force Adademy chappel
2014-07-23BritishV8PikesPeakandAirForceAcademy45Medium.JPG
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: rficalora on July 23, 2014, 01:50:41 AM
...and the B52 they have on display
2014-07-23BritishV8PikesPeakandAirForceAcademy77Medium.JPG
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: DBW on July 23, 2014, 10:01:41 AM
Thank you all for the updates and the photos.
It helps us at home to get thru another week
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: RMO 699F on July 23, 2014, 10:27:15 AM
britv82014i.jpg
britv82014h.jpg
britv82014g.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: RMO 699F on July 23, 2014, 10:31:50 AM
Britv82014f.jpg
Britv82014e.jpg
Britv82014d.jpg
Britv82014b.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: DocsMG on July 23, 2014, 06:03:58 PM
Funny how my wife hid the dent she put in my car in that photo.  lol

Pikes Peak looks like it was fun.  Anyone have trouble with altitude?
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: MG four six eight on July 23, 2014, 06:22:25 PM
One from the over look park at Glenwood Springs and a couple from Indepence pass on highway 82

Glenwoodspringsoverlook.jpg
IndependecepassCO.jpg
Independencepass.JPG
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: MG four six eight on July 23, 2014, 06:29:46 PM
A few from Pike's Peak!



OnthewaytoPikespeak.jpg
IMG_2344.JPG
ViewfromPikesPeak.JPG
IMG_2345.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: rficalora on July 23, 2014, 10:18:38 PM
Hey Rick - we made it to Hooters for you...  Got a pic of the invisible Hooters girl... With invisible V8 GT, and if you squint just right, you'll see the invisible drink...  Nothing but the best for the invisible man!

We missed you this year!!


18102-1.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: MGBV8 on July 25, 2014, 03:43:48 AM
Very fitting, Rob, for the Invisible Rick Ingram, who knew exactly when to call Dave Kirkman during the Banquet.

FYI, I'm posting cause I packed it in after 910 miles on the way home. It's kinda late & I'm kinda beat. It was 104 degrees in Eastern Colorado & Western Kansas on I-70 today. Thought I was gonna have a heat stroke driving. It was hot!
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: mowog1 on July 25, 2014, 11:59:11 AM
Thanks guys....nice to be missed.  Of course, I KNOW that you missed Jean as well.

See many of you in Tennessee in October and in Indianapolis in July 2015 for BritishV8 2015!

We are working on a new concept for one of the activities next summer!

hootersmanoftheyear.jpg

ThreeStooges.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: Moderator on July 25, 2014, 01:41:29 PM
I certainly did miss Jean.

And Rick, you missed seeing this MGC:
Preview-MGC.jpg

I'm trying to match up owners' names to cars. Can someone please tell me who brought this MGC?
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: kstevusa on July 25, 2014, 01:43:49 PM
Curtis, ck with Larry, I think this is a local and friend of Larry B.
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: lars49 on July 25, 2014, 02:23:39 PM
That was Chuck Hassler's MGC.  He is a colleague of our LBC group (http://www.pikespeaklbcgroup.com).
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: rficalora on July 25, 2014, 07:23:13 PM
Alright, we are litterally at the exit where we were meeting my wife and other son for dinner and looks like I pulled a Curtis!
18202-1.jpg


Oh, and Rick, if you miss too many events you may lose that man of the year to the next generation...
18101-1.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: mowog1 on July 25, 2014, 08:49:35 PM
That's OK...I'll share....plus....there's always the Tilted Kilt!

TiltedKilt4-17-13.jpg

TheTiltedKilt-Indy.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: mowog1 on July 28, 2014, 04:02:37 PM
Snow on Pikes Peak - 7/27/14.

Timing is everything!

PikesPikeSnow7-27-14.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: TR6-6SPD on July 30, 2014, 01:15:16 PM
Yikes! Yes, timing is everything. I must say, the weather for the meet was great.
Here's a few photos from our trip.

We happened upon Route 66 in Missouri:

IMG_4499.JPG

Colorado State Line:

IMG_4532.JPG


Parking lot of Hilton Hotel, (thanks to Calvin and Brenda for bring their party central trailer):

IMG_4623.JPG


Exploring the Garden of the Gods public park.
From left to right, Cindy & Bill Jacobson, Carl F., Katie & myself, Andrew and Rob Ficalora:

IMG_4668.JPG
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: TR6-6SPD on July 30, 2014, 01:19:19 PM
After the meet, Katie and I spent two days exploring Colorado. We went to the far SW. corner.

Crossed Cottonwood pass outside Buena Vista, 12,126 ft.

IMG_4682.JPG

The pass gave me 11 miles of "gravel road", not so bad.

IMG_4702.JPG

Lots of wildlife:

IMG_4707.JPG

I made a pilgrimage to Telluride. First time returning there after attending the 1982 Airman's Rendezvous:

IMG_4716.JPG
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: TR6-6SPD on July 30, 2014, 01:23:24 PM
On our last day, we visited Mesa Verde National Park. Cool stuff:

IMG_4750.JPG

Travelling north from Durango is the Million Dollar Highway.
http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html
There seems to be a shortage of highway guard rails in the state of Colorado!

IMG_4797.JPG

IMG_4783.JPG

We camped 6 nights:

IMG_4805.JPG
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: MGBV8 on July 30, 2014, 02:01:23 PM
Ah, a Hang Glider Pilot, as well?  Your Bucket List must be well covered.  :)
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: lars49 on July 30, 2014, 04:01:22 PM
QuoteThere seems to be a shortage of highway guard rails in the state of Colorado!

They would prevent the snowplows from pushing the stuff off the road.  

The million dollar highway gets about 200 inches (5.08 m) of snow per year
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: TR6-6SPD on July 30, 2014, 04:21:24 PM
Can you imagine working as a snow plow operator, plowing those roads in a snow storm, so close to the edge......
Makes my knees weak.
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: MGBV8 on July 30, 2014, 04:30:41 PM
Can you imagine being a passenger looking over the edge? Not me!  :)
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: lars49 on July 30, 2014, 05:17:49 PM
I drove it in the early '90s with my parents.  My mother was in the backseat with a pillow over her head.

CDOT has lost 3 snowplow drivers.  The Durango Herald Highway to Hell (http://m.durangoherald.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140624/NEWS01/140629751/0/NEWS13/Highway-to-hell) article has more information.
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: Moderator on July 30, 2014, 09:10:57 PM
Hey! I'm looking for a nice photo of James Spradlin's red 1979 MGB V6 (http://www.britishv8.org/MG/JamesSpradlin.htm) taken during our meet. James had to leave early, and I failed to get a good photo of his car before he left. (He was with us through Monday, right?) My photos of James' MGB feature too many other cars or have too many pedestrians in the frame.  For a "Cars of BritishV8 2014" overview article, I'd prefer a photo that simply shows off James' car. Please help.



ref: James Spradlin's red 1979 MGB V6 on the left and James Bryan's red 1971 MGB V6 on the right.
JamesSpradlinMGB-ByFionaHaber.jpg
photo credit: Fiona Haber
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: DocsMG on July 31, 2014, 08:56:31 AM
Not at meet but somewhat current.

My wife plows snow on the hills around here (up to BlackHawk).  It is easier to plow up there than it is in the flat lands where the road vanishes before your eyes.  Had several drivers that had to be dug out 1 mile off the road in some farmer's field.  Fence slowed them down.  lol

Great pics everyone.  Hope to make it next year.  Indy should be a blast.
10337247_780422245325702_1857284219_o.jpg
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: TR6-6SPD on August 04, 2014, 09:05:55 AM
After getting home from Colorado, (4,600 miles/7,400 Km's) I went ahead and did an oil change. While under the car, I was going through my usual routine of lubing the drive shaft yokes and discovered this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bHqvgQnDx9E?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not a single needle left:
IMG_4823.JPG

I was lucky it got me home.
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: Jim Stabe on August 04, 2014, 09:33:02 AM
That's nasty. I'm surprised you couldn't hear it.
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: MGBV8 on August 04, 2014, 09:51:10 AM
No vibration?
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: MrNick on August 04, 2014, 10:30:20 AM
Here are some pictures I took on Tuesday.

http://imgur.com/a/eN9Yh
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: TR6-6SPD on August 04, 2014, 01:22:59 PM
I did notice a slight vibration through the seat/shifter. I was going to swap wheels front to back to try and narrow it down.
I think the grease passage way must have been blocked to that cup. I just never noticed the other three cups were hogging all the lube.
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: Charles on August 04, 2014, 03:32:08 PM
After 4600 miles they wouldn't have felt a pin cusion if they had sat on it. I am glad you guys did make it home OK.
Riding home with your car on a rool back will erase a lot of good times.
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: Moderator on August 04, 2014, 03:32:22 PM
(http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Images-V22-1/CarsOfBritishV8-2014.jpg)

Here's an inventory: <a href="http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/BV82014-TheCars.htm">The Sportscars of BritishV8 2014</a>

(Some of the cars shown in this article only dropped by for a little while. Did I miss anybody?)
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: 74ls1tr6 on August 04, 2014, 09:43:43 PM
Ken,

I'm glad you and Katie made it home with that u-joint. I'm very surprised you didn't feel that with a big vibration "Wow"
Title: Re: British V8 2014 Pics
Post by: MG four six eight on August 15, 2014, 01:27:28 AM
Here are a couple of pic's as we were coming down Pike's Peak that Howard sent me. Hope he doesn't mind that I posted them!


Bill
101_2340.JPG
101_2334-1.JPG