Make plans now to attend the fourth annual "October in Townsend" informal gathering of V8, V6, I4, I6 and other performance enhanced British car aficionados at the Talley Ho Inn, Townsend, TN, October 2 -5. Note that we've added a day this year, by popular demand, arriving Thursday evening and leaving Sunday morning. Of course, you're welcome to come early and leave late if you wish, or come late and leave early if that's all your schedule will allow. Rooms at the Talley Ho Inn have been blocked out for us for arrival on either the 2nd or the 3rd.
Motel contact info: http://www.talleyhoinn.com/ 1-800-448-2465 or 865-448-2465 Mention British V8 and/or Jim Watson to get a reduced rate.
Our plans/schedule/registration data: Show up, have a great time, go home, with a heavy emphasis on "have a great time." This is a strictly informal, make it up as we go, type of event. The only thing for sure is you will have a lot of fun with a bunch of great people, drive on a bunch of great sports car type roads with great scenery, consume some great beverages, and eat some great food.
Any questions, contact me via PM or Jim at spridget@charter.net
Make reservations now at The Talley Ho! If you could not make it to Colorado, here is your chance to have a gathering of friends. We hope you attend. Dates listed above. SAFETY FASTER !
Jean and I already have our room booked.
Kay and I are booked....see you there!
Christa and I are booked. We're sharing the Fox Den cabin with Ted & Judy Lathrop.
The Smokies will seem like child's play after the Rockies , but they will still be exciting.
Getting there will be child's play, too, after Colorado. My plans are to crash at the Moor Chateau. :)
Yes, 25+% humidity and mid 80's were the highs. DRY. Altitude was 6200 Ft.+. Great weather and wonderful location. Just need to move Kansas, Ark. and Missouri to location more convenient (Either up into Dakotas or down into Texas), Ha! for the East coast guys. I can envision the Mighty Miss. running along the front range. :-) Anyway, great meet and wonderful new friends plus old ones. SAFETY FASTER! NEXT STATION, TOWNSEND for 3rd annual meet.
Just a bit warmer than that, Kelly. More like 90-92. Except on top of Pike's Peak, where it was upper 40s.
Driving across Western Kansas, the temp was 102. Even warmer on the way back, at 104 degrees. Felt like I was in a convection oven!
Perky and charles, just made reservations. Will be arriving day 2 of Oct.
We would love to attend, but don't think it will happen this year!
Calvin, due to circumstances beyond our control, you quality for a BYE :-). see you & Brenda in Indy
BUMP In case you have not made plans yet
Hey all, esp. JIm and Dan,
How many people are coming? All booked up?
Intend to go, but not sure yet on Thursday or Friday arrival.
Max
Max,
Richard Moor has rented the house again. I'm sure we will have an extra bed.
You'd best plan on a Thursday arrival, Mad Max!
My daughter has a swim meet that weekend, so I won't be able to make it. I think Edith is coming with Jim (not sure about it though)
I guess that I should direct this question towards Jim Watson because he is the smart one, BUT.
I'm coming down on the 1st, mainly because I really want to go to Oak Ridge.
A while back I read the book The Girls of Atomic City and found it really interesting. When I was last in Townsend, we did do the Norris Dam, but had know idea about the history of Oak Ridge and that we were so very close.
Have any of you been to Oak Ridge and is it worth the trip?
Merv
I may be able to join in. Was hesitating because my brother is ill and needs a bone marrow transplant. The good news is that I am a match. I thought the procedure might conflict but found out today that that The transplant will be mid Oct not early Oct.
Is there any room for me or should I try to book a room some place near?
Max, do you want to ride together?? You can drive a sorry old V6 if you can put up with the lack of cylinders.
PJ,
I think that the house that Rich Moor rented may be at capacity for those wanting their own bed. Not 100 % sure, though. Somebody may have a spare bed.
Merv,
Not sure what it is like these days. I went when I was a kid back in the 60s. They gave me an irradiated dime. Doubt they do that any more.
http://www.ornl.gov/ornl/visiting-ornl#public
Merv,
I'll go I enjoy stuff like that a history buff am I
PJ,et al
I have "alternative plans" on the return trip, so we best have separate vehicles. But thanks for the offer!
Tim and I are taking the "crash pad" offered by the Moor's.... I'm shooting for Thursday night arrival, but it'll probably be in the dark hours....
Looking forward to seeing you all! And hopefully for some great driving weather, too. :-)
M
Merv,
When I returned to Tennessee in 1958, WWII Oak Ridge was still very much in evidence. The last time I was there in 1994, you had to look hard to see traces of it. The City has grown around it. In addition to ORNL, you might check out Y-12 http://www.y12.doe.gov/ and the the American Museum Of Science And Energy http://amse.org.
If you haven't been yet, you should stop at the Museum Of Appalachia just off I75 a few miles north of Knoxville http://www.museumofappalachia.org You can easily spend several hours there.
PJ, I have & extra Bed at Talley Ho Inn, so you are more then welcome to it
Merv
Merv,
I'll be delighted to share the room and maybe we can do a tour of something, Oak Ridge or one of Dan's suggestions.
Thanks,
PJ
Merv,
Based on your recommendation, I just ordered a copy of "The Girls Of Atomic City." If you haven't already, I recommend you get a copy of "City Behind A Fence," the story of the building of Oak Ridge. I'd give you my copy, but I've already given it away. A fascinating read. You can probably pick up a copy at the museum.
Interesting Dan, last night I went looking for books and had a choice between " City Behind A Fence" or "The Manhattan Project: The Birth of the Atomic Bomb"
I chose the Manhattan Project, but there is always time to read another book (MAYBE)
Thanks to both you & Carl for you feed back on Oak Ridge.
Anyone up for a visit to the Wheels Through Time Museum in North Carolina?
It appears to be a couple hours drive from Townsend.
http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/
http://www.velocity.com/tv-shows/whats-in-the-barn
And some fun driving roads to boot, put me down on the list
I made a query on the MG Experience regarding the Wheels Through Time Museum.
http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?47,2806174
Based on this input, along with several PMs that I received based on the same thread, Jean and I will be visiting the museum on Friday.
We will leave 8-ish to make the trek to Maggie Valley, NC.
Any and all are welcome to tag along.
We'll be back in Townsend mid-afternoon on Friday in order to participate in any other activities that may present themselves for that evening.
Cheers!
Well, that's interesting. It's just under twice the distance from my house to the museum as from Townsend, but the travel time is exactly the same!