BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: DiDueColpi on June 03, 2014, 01:47:15 PM

Title: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: DiDueColpi on June 03, 2014, 01:47:15 PM
After being devastated by the passing of so many friends and icons in the industry this year.
It has occurred to me that a good many of us must be in the upper age categories.
Who are the new innovators in our obsession?
Is youth attracted to our hobby?
Are we inadvertently excluding new blood into the BV8  fold?
Or is it destined to pass as our pioneers are doing.
It would be interesting to work out our median age group.
I'll go first...I'm 54  born in 1960... not ancient but I've got more miles under my belt than I have left.

Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: 74ls1tr6 on June 03, 2014, 02:59:39 PM
I'm right there with you Fred at 55. My kids want to do swaps when the time comes for them.

Calvin
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: kstevusa on June 03, 2014, 03:46:56 PM
Hey Juniors, I expect the median age to be higher than you.  I am a 1948 model when flatheads still were in production.  We have many that exceed me in birthdays.   I also know a few that are in the 265 Bowtie and 221 CID Blue Oval  era.  
How about Purple Haze?   Also have the CD mentioned by Dan.  It does tend to make the pedal light.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: RMO 699F on June 03, 2014, 04:16:17 PM
71, born in 1943...(but hey, I don't feel that old) I have a son in his 40's...despite continuous efforts on my part he never got into British cars...he is a Jeep and mud guy.

I'll post for Harvey Leichti (he does not do internet) Harvey is 80 this year and still does most of the work on his V6 mgb. He was on his way to the Ft. Meigs show last Sunday but had a bad coil and had to be towed back.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: danmas on June 03, 2014, 04:42:06 PM
73 here. Some good days yet to come, for sure, but my best days are behind me, I suppose. My 19 year old grandson's daily driver is a '78 Spitfire.  I guess I did have some influence.

Mike,

Give Harvey my regards - I miss him at our get togethers.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: mowog1 on June 03, 2014, 05:47:31 PM
I'm 60.

DarcyPint.jpg
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: rficalora on June 03, 2014, 06:13:10 PM
I'm one of the "youngins" at 49.  50 in August of this year (1964).  But, I try to act 1/2 my age.

As for who'll be the next generation... our kids will.  My older son (18) would swap a modular 5.0 into his 06 mustang if he could afford one & my younger son, who'll be getting his learners permit this summer, is already looking at modified pick-up trucks.  My wife, who's been known to refer to herself as a "garage widow", says I gave them my disease.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: DocsMG on June 03, 2014, 08:14:02 PM
Guess I'm the baby so far, 43.  My daughter sort of cares but not really.  If you giver her a car she would take it and might say thank you, but if she had to earn it all bets are off.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: Scott Costanzo on June 03, 2014, 08:40:19 PM
I'm 59, will turn 60 in December. I make a conscious effort to not act my age. I can still out work most of the young ones too. No kids for me and I don't see a lot of younger people interested in our hobby.

Interesting question on if we are inadvertently excluding new blood. Don't have any answers but would be interested in the discussion. I'm hoping it isnt as bad as some of us think it is.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: rficalora on June 03, 2014, 09:39:42 PM
I think it all depends how you define the hobby.  If you define it as "improving British sports cars", I don't think we are excluding the younger generation.  Rather, I think we are simply irrelevant.  MG's, Triumphs, Sunbeams and the like are unknown to them.  And the brands they'd recognize are beyond reach for most.

Now, if we define the hobby as hot rodding old cars, the hobby is alive and well.  Not as common maybe as it was in the 50's or 60's, but still going strong.  At my sons' school I know of at least 2 60's pickups, 3 Chevelles, 3-4 older Mustangs, a Fairlane, a 260z and at least a dozen or two ricers* that the kids have as driving projects in various states.  They are doing what we did with our cars at their age.  And, a lot of those kids will do more ambitious projects later in life as their means allow... And, some of the kids that don't have the opportunity now but who see the cool cars and projects are already bitten by the bug and they too will take on projects later in life.  

So, which hobby are we talking about?  And, which one matters?

*Note, a lot of ricers count as old cars by the way.  One of my boys was talking about the antique car one of his friends got.  When I asked him what it was, he told me in an excited voice "it's a 240SX.  It even has antique tags!". Hard to believe the 1st 240SX's are already 25 yrs old!
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: britcars on June 03, 2014, 10:09:16 PM
Just rolled over sixty-seven years on the odometer a couple of months ago, but stil young enough to still be learning a few things the hard way.....age does not always bring wisdom. :-)  Still hoipeful of a few good years.  Our youngest son is into things mechanical, motorcycles and old trucks, but distracted right now raising 4 children ages 3-12.   Our oldest son thinks of cars as equipment needed to get from point A to point B.
The older you get, the more important it is not to act your age.
MGBHorsepower.JPG
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: Preform Resources on June 03, 2014, 11:25:10 PM
Mike and I are Sagitarrians , no no , Mike is an Arkleyologist same year  tho 43,,now Jack is only 38,,,,,, he's had a tough life so give him a break LOL
Dave
FortMeigs2.jpg
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: Dan B on June 04, 2014, 08:55:26 AM
That Facebook thing said my Soul Age is 22
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: Spitfire 350 on June 04, 2014, 11:49:37 AM
I turned 57 in February, an amazing thing considering some of the events in my life. My daughter loves to autocross the Spitfire with me, but I don't think she will ever build a car. Her boyfriend is anxious to learn auto mechanics and has a deep appreciation for cool cars, lots of promise there.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: mowog1 on June 04, 2014, 12:30:39 PM
re: *Note, a lot of ricers count as old cars by the way. One of my boys was talking about the antique car one of his friends got. When I asked him what it was, he told me in an excited voice "it's a 240SX. It even has antique tags!". Hard to believe the 1st 240SX's are already 25 yrs old!


I had a first generation, first year Nissan 240SX...a 1989 model. I traded in my 1978 Datsun 280Z on it.

Maybe I was just used to the 280Z....but the 240SX sucked big time in my eyes.

I drove it for 9 months...I could not get rid of it fast enough.... and traded it in on a first generation, first year Nissan 300ZX (a 1990 model).

I still drive a 300ZX....a 1996 model.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: ex-tyke on June 04, 2014, 12:36:34 PM
Born in Sheffield, Yorks in 1947 – you do the math!
My son has no inclination to get into any auto related project – his thumbs are permanently glued to his Xbox and I-phone
Typical of the new generation, he just wants to gas and go and for me to help with any problems – but I did convince him to perform regular oil changes in his vehicles.
It appears that today's youth really don't have the interest in cars like the older generations had....... sad really, they don't know what they're missing!
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: Addicted on June 04, 2014, 06:00:10 PM
I feel old, but I guess I'm a young guy at 41.  I have several good friends in their 20's doing some nice custom work on their Mustangs.  I pretty much hate rice burners with fart can mufflers, but at least those guys are doing something with their cars.  It really is impressive seeing what some kids can do with their laptops and modern cars.  I'd be lost.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: RMO 699F on June 04, 2014, 06:36:15 PM
Following up on Grahams comments, analyzing 1983 vs.2008... 15-20 percent less 16-24 year old potential drivers have a drivers license...we have a 19 year old great grand daughter who still does not drive...in my opinion, too many distractions and in some cases a lack of initiative is causing this...
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: ex-tyke on June 04, 2014, 07:34:11 PM
Quote....too many distractions and in some cases a lack of initiative is causing this...

....and discouraging high insurance rates .
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: tr6turbo on June 04, 2014, 08:40:12 PM
Very soon to be 64.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: DocsMG on June 05, 2014, 09:24:19 AM
Quote:
....too many distractions and in some cases a lack of initiative is causing this...

 ....and discouraging high insurance rates .

They don't care about the cost.  Don't you know they thing you will be paying?!  

I drag my kid out to help and have her do stuff.  When it ain't super easy she will whine "I can't".  I hate that saying!
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: MGBV8 on June 05, 2014, 10:06:54 AM
I had a friend (he moved back to Connecticut) that I used to kick around ideas with. Like we do here. He would mull it over and say "That's do-able".   Now, that's a good attitude!
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: lawnvett on June 05, 2014, 05:55:50 PM
Im only 65 years young
 not much interest from my 3 sons in these lbcs, photos of the boys is from the mid eighties
Maybe my 5 year old grandson will take an interest
3guysoncouch.jpg
PJEliMGinCA.jpg
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: rficalora on June 05, 2014, 07:45:26 PM
What percent of kids in your school (way back when most of us were in school) built hot rods or did serious modifications to their cars.  I'd venture to say not more than 5-8%. What I see is a couple point reduction - maybe 3-5% now.  Guess I'm fortunate my boys fall in that range :).
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: danmas on June 05, 2014, 09:01:36 PM
Good point, Rob.  In most cases, the past was NOT the way we remember it.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: RMO 699F on June 05, 2014, 10:27:04 PM
Rob, I totally agree with you as far as the percentage of "hard core" car guys probably being about the same as in the past...the broader point I was making is that driving a vehicle is just not as important to a larger percentage of 16/24 year old kids, as compared to prior years.....statistics support this...when I was a kid, if you did not have your drivers license by 16/17, your buddies thought there was something wrong with you...of course we were just coming out of the horse and buggy age when I got my license..
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: DocsMG on June 06, 2014, 08:49:27 AM
I used to hate the kids that pulled up to school in mom's car, acting all cool.  When you ask them questions about it, they shrug and blow you off.  Used to get mad and tell them don't walk the walk if you can't talk the talk and we would tease them about driving mama's car.

I say that to remember that yeah only a few of us really knew cars.  My point about today's kids is not about being hot rodders, its about ANY interest in cars.  Look at the number of kids with driver's license over the years and the age at which they get them.  The day I turned 16.  My dad had a farmer's license at 14.  My daughter may drive when she is 21, if she is pushed!

We wanted independence.  They want no risks.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: RobertE on June 06, 2014, 10:14:26 AM
I'm 23 and now have two v8 Bs. Unfortunately one seems to be taking me forever with school and other life events.  I've met quite a few younger folks into classic cars. None into heavily modifying them though.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on June 06, 2014, 11:18:44 AM
Well gee, look at the cars they have to pick from these days. It'd take a combination techno-computer geek/rocket scientist to do any sort of modification beyond swapping wheels. Sort of de-motivating. How many of us wanted to start out with a Model-T? (when there were first generation Camaros, Cudas, Challengers and Mustangs to be had) To us, the MG was the pick of the handling crowd and when we learned it could be as fast or faster than the muscle cars there was simply no other realistic choice.

Show me that option today. (Yes, I know, same old car, same old mods.)

Then there is so much more traffic today, you can hardly drive a block without stopping anymore. They haven't changed, their environment has.

Jim
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: Moderator on June 06, 2014, 11:42:58 AM
QuoteWell gee, look at the cars they have to pick from these days. It'd take a combination techno-computer geek/rocket scientist to do any sort of modification beyond swapping wheels. Sort of de-motivating.

That's perception, not reality. Choose a Miata, for example, and there are thousands of hop-up options at all budget and skill levels. The supercharger and turbo kits available give a bigger performance upgrade than anything available off-the-shelf for MGB in the 60s, 70s, or 80s. Countless people have transplanted V8s into these cars too. Suspension, aero and styling mods too. And Miata isn't the only option for kids today, either.  

No. It's a cultural problem. I blame bicycle helmets and mandatory use of child-seats. I think you can get arrested for telling your kid: "Live fast. Take chances."

But you can do something in a small way to help. Find a kid - maybe a grandchild or a neice/nephew - and recruit them as your partner in the Moss Challenge. Don't focus on winning. Just set a goal, like "Let's see if we can score 20 points this weekend!" (Moss will even send your partner a t-shirt. Maybe their friends will be curious when they see it.)  Sports cars are addictive. Be a sports car pusher.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: rficalora on June 06, 2014, 12:30:29 PM
I don't think the techno stuff affects the current generation the way it does some of us.  Kids of today are totally comfortable with re-chipping, tuners, tweakers, & other electronic methods adjusting how an engine is managed -- and therefore how it performs.  It's just a different way of making mods.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: RobertE on June 06, 2014, 01:02:52 PM
My perspective from having plenty of friends into the car scene. The biggest advantage of some newer cars is cheap horsepower.  A simple tune can give you 60hp on a 2.0T gti for well under 1k. I do think that is an advantage.

I love my mk5 gti with its gadgets. Never thought I'd like a car without a clutch,  but man that DSG is a thrill :). You still can't beat our British swaps though.  No aids and full feel of the road. I love the feedback you get with manual brakes and steering.

Many of my friends are also very capable of performing engine swaps and modifications. However when it comes to doing this on older chassis', there's a mental block of "I cant/don't know how". Of course they probably don't realize the great resources out there like Britishv8.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: tomsbad6 on June 06, 2014, 03:17:55 PM
Hello  I am 52 years old I still act like I'm 17 at least once a week. I met a lot of new people at the drag strip last year  mostly local people a lot of young people most of them kind of laughed when I showed up in a classic British roadster at a drag strip after seeing it run they all just wanted to know what in the world is that thing I have gotten to know quite a few of the people that I met last year 2 of the young man were definitely influenced by seeing my car run the one guy is 24 years old he has a truck that he drag races not street legal I saw him at a car show last week he told me he just bought a gt6 and has Already started putting a twin turbo LS motor in it he plans on dragracing it and driving it on the streets he mentioned another reason young people would be interested in little British sports cars he told me the first time I met him my car had to be the ultimate chick magnet 45 minutes later at the same show I ran into another guy from the drag strip 22 years old him I have let drive my car last year he told me he just bought a TR4 his plans include either small block Ford or 340 Mopar he told me he just wants the car to be classy cool and fast something the chicks would want to ride in  I might be 52 years old but the most fun I get out of my car is still out cruising with my much younger very beautiful wife

Clearly there are many reasons for owning a classic British  roadster  Clearly there is a generational gap in British car  owners my 17-year-old stepson who drives a beautiful modified MG midget he tells me he does not like going to British car shows everybody there is too old he says the people at those shows need an attachment on the back of the car to carry their walker my other son lives in Florida he just finished the restoration and modifying of 1971 240 Z with a Turbo LS motor in it he wants me to fly down to Florida to help him Tune the rear suspension he says it just smokes the tires and wheel hops   I just said I told you so   he's a smart kid he will figure it out he's also a BMW master tech he is 24 years old
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: tbo on June 07, 2014, 09:23:38 PM
Thought I;d chime in. I;m 67 this year.I think young kids look at my Triumph like I used to look at model A.s when I was twenty five,,,something for old fogies. They are all driving foreign car with turbos and loud mufflers. Have a question for Fred who stated this thread,,,How  did you like the Monaco Grand Prix this year with the new engine and the new sound? Could we have a thread conserning the Fi races,,,I would love to talk to other people on this site about it.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: roverman on June 10, 2014, 07:24:21 PM
I'm a1949'r, braggin/complainin, depends on what part of the day. I've seen soo much, and mem'br soo lil'. Plan is to take my son and grandson, to "Hot August Nites", this Aug. First time for them, second, for me. I hope they catch "any" kind of auto bug. Seems like most of  the young motorheads, are on a grade "B" , car/bike show ? Nirvana for me, is finishing all of my car dreams. Reality, is agonizing reapraisals... and the grim reaper appears to be wearing rollerblades ?  Onward I guess, roverman.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: BMC on June 10, 2014, 08:13:28 PM
The first time I saw this question post on the MG BBS, a now all but abandon message board, I answered something like 23 in 1998. 39 now.

-BMC.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: forrest39 on June 15, 2014, 12:32:58 PM
I'm 45. I have been putting engines in cars that don't belong there on and off for years. Or at least I helped someone else do it...
Subaru engine in a Vanagon, Camaro 2.8 V6 in a spitfire, a few bolt in motors like 1275 in my frog eye, 2.0 in my 1.7 914 (fuel injection nightmare...). Currently putting a 302 in my Alpine.

I guess you have to be 'more experienced' with this hobby. I wanted to do this 23 years ago with my first Alpine but just couldn't figure it out / didn't have the skill set.
Now that I'm older, my problem solving skills are slightly more honed.
Cheers! -Kevin
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: mgbman on March 01, 2015, 12:15:35 PM
Well, I act as though I am 10----- because that is what I am (in dog years)...........but in my real world, I am 62.........and lovin' every minute of it......
I am still young enough to remember when ALL of the Beatles where together, when the Rolling Stones were young agile guys (well, who is to say that they are not, nowadays??), when music was music (tongue in cheek), and when cars were actually cars (again, tongue inn cheek)...
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: Jim Stabe on March 01, 2015, 03:09:57 PM
Just rolled over 70 years. Probably a good thing I didn't have the car I have now back in my 30's or I probably wouldn't have made it to 40. I agree with Jim B that the crop of cars to pick from nowadays to make a hot rod isn't real inspiring. You just have to have cubic money and buy a factory one.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: rkas3882 on March 01, 2015, 04:01:52 PM
I'm 30, about to turn 31....trust me, there are still a lot of young car guys out there.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: mgbreis on March 03, 2015, 11:13:47 AM
41 next month. By the way, was 40 the age for you guys where all of a sudden its like "How the hell did that happen? Wasn't I just in college?"

My 10yo has already called dibs on the Hillman. It'll be interesting to see if my sons actually have any interest as they age. I've got to be honest, there are times when I look at the 4 cars I have (3 too many) and the time and money that I sink into them, and think "I hope my kids don't get into old cars". Seriously.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: DiDueColpi on March 03, 2015, 05:29:43 PM
You should check out "Louis CK - on turning 40" Ryan.
One of the funniest things that I've seen in a while.

Live like you mean it.
Fred
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: mgbreis on March 03, 2015, 09:48:51 PM
I watched it Fred. Yep, that seems about right! Pretty funny! It's definitely true that in the last couple years I have started to absolutely dread doctor appointments.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: Charles on March 04, 2015, 11:44:04 PM
I will turn 76 this year, the only thing I do not like about it is, having to live with an old man. He is starting to so signs of his age. I will be working in the shop and he will move one of my tools and will not let me know where he laid it down. I will plan several task for the day and all he wants to do is sit around and drink coffee.

On the serous side I do have three old British cars and do not see any of my grand children taking an interest at all, there is no joy stick in any of them, now there's a thought, drive by wire.

I go to shows here local and have met a few younger kids with a great interest in the Rat Rods, about the same as us. I think the object is to be as Rube as you can with a driver. Some of the things they do is so creative it's almost insane.
charles
see some of you guys in Indy
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: DonB on March 05, 2015, 09:44:12 AM
Just turned 73.... but inside is still an 18 year old screaming to get out!

I came to this hobby/passion after driving a lot of GM iron, a TR3 B and a 61 Sunbeam Alpine. Early retirement was the incentive to first do the nut/bolt resto of the 1935 MG P type. Met lots of great folks , bought parts from 11 countries... but didn't satisfy the inside 18 Y/O hot rodder.

As mentioned by others... 2 son-in-laws with no interest in cars beyond the obvious utility. Guess that's the direction as new interests and passions lead them... they don't know who and what they're missing!!

IMG_1006.JPG
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: bsa_m21 on March 07, 2015, 02:03:42 AM
About to turn 63 this year.  Still have some hair and its not alllllll grey.  :)

Been driving old British iron for as long as I can remember.  Mostly motorcycles, Norton, BSA, AJS, Triumph, Enfield, Greeves and many more over the years.  Had a 66 MGB back in the mid 70's.  To determine road conditions, you just looked between your legs. Bought a new TR7 in 1980.  Hoo baby.  What a chick magnet. That was until a yellow camaro ran a red light and put the pass door into the middle of the car.  Always wanted another one and finally got a TR7 beater back in 2004.  Ten years later and its now a V8 and all prettied up.  

Back in the early 90's I sent time in Africa doing some foreign aid work and fell in love with LandRovers.  Back home a few years later I came across a '52 LandRover that had been sitting under a tree for 20 odd years.  Pulled it out and 6 mth later it was on the road.  It's still on the road today.  It's the same age as me, so iff she can keep going, so can I.  !!

Martin
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: 34ford on May 21, 2015, 10:55:21 AM
Will be 68 in August 2015 but feel like a young whipper snapper
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: rficalora on May 21, 2015, 10:40:49 PM
OK Tim, I feel the same way, but using phrases like "whipper snapper" proves we're not!
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: Jim Stabe on May 22, 2015, 02:21:11 AM
The clock rolled over 70 this year but I still get a kick out of pounding on my car with a 5.1:1 power/weight ratio. I feel like I should have outgrown all that but it's more fun than ever.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: DiDueColpi on May 22, 2015, 10:08:50 PM
I know what you mean Jim.
The lovely Lynne says I'm still not old enough to ride a motor cycle, and I have to agree.
The open road and a whole bunch of horsepower are the best drug ever!

Live like you mean it
Fred
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: Al Moor on May 31, 2015, 08:43:34 AM
52.  Today, with most cars requiring their first "tune-up" at 100,000 miles, most of the younger generation aren't forced to deal with the mechanical consequences of owning a vehicle.  My first car was a '69 VW Bug P,O.S.  If I didn't fix it when it broke (which was often), I was walking.  And I think that was pretty normal for my contemporaries in High School.  Cars broke more often, so even if you weren't trying to improve the car, you at least developed a passing knowledge of how things work.  So since a higher percentage had mechanical experience, a higher percent became builders and innovators.  I would expect this trend to continue as cars become even more efficient, powerful, and reliable, and government regulations continue to restrict our activities.
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: supernatural on May 31, 2015, 02:57:08 PM
In this 70 years old body there is an 18 years old screaming to get out!  Already been said but I can prove it!
Title: Re: It's not proper to ask in polite company but....
Post by: mowog1 on June 05, 2015, 01:34:22 AM
Looking forward to meeting you at BritishV8 2015, Jean!