BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: Brownwood on May 14, 2014, 03:32:50 PM

Title: 1994 Mustang T5 in my B
Post by: Brownwood on May 14, 2014, 03:32:50 PM
I picked up a WC T5 tranny with bellhousing clutch and pressure plate for 5.0 conversion of my 1980 B.  I now realize it came from a 94 Cobra instead of a fox body Mustang.  The bellhousing is about 1 inches longer than a Fox Body bellhousing.  Is this still going to work for me or will my shifter come out too far back?  What about firewall clearance?
Title: Re: 1994 Mustang T5 in my B
Post by: mgb260 on May 14, 2014, 04:02:36 PM
Keith, You are lucky you got the belhousing with it. 1" back isn't much. The popular T5 shifter has a dogleg in it to compensate. You may have to massage the tunnel a bit.
Title: Re: 1994 Mustang T5 in my B
Post by: rficalora on May 14, 2014, 09:48:27 PM
Depends where you mount the motor.  I have a SN95 (94/95 5.0L) Mustang T5 and the shifter comes straight up through the stock hole.  No offset shifter needed.  And, the shift fork is rotated down a bit so there's more room for your clutch slave.
Title: Re: 1994 Mustang T5 in my B
Post by: mgbreis on May 14, 2014, 10:22:41 PM
I used the same trans, but changed input shafts so that I could use the 87-93 bell. Either way, it will be fine if you build your mounts to suit.
Title: Re: 1994 Mustang T5 in my B
Post by: Brownwood on May 15, 2014, 08:39:49 AM
I am using Bill Guzman's kit to mount the motor and tranny.  I did a lot of measuring and some trial fitting of the bellhousing last night.  After a little metal pounding and some judicious grinding of a few of the bellhousing ribs, it seemed to fit the trans tunnel nicely.  I should get the refreshed tranny back Monday.  Then I can put it all together, build my slave cylinder mount and linkage and sort out the hydraulic clutch line.  Once those tasks are complete, i can actually drop the motor in and see if my setup works.

FYI Rob, your car is one of the cars that started me down this MGB V8 path.
Title: Re: 1994 Mustang T5 in my B
Post by: rficalora on May 15, 2014, 07:41:04 PM
RE:  FYI Rob, your car is one of the cars that started me down this MGB V8 path.

I'll admit I still love hearing that.  But considering I knew nothing when I started, it's proof anyone can do this if with the help and experience of this group!
Title: Re: 1994 Mustang T5 in my B
Post by: Brownwood on May 15, 2014, 07:52:43 PM
Man, I needed that right now.  very frustrated and missing my 60HP 4 Banger!  :)
Title: Re: 1994 Mustang T5 in my B
Post by: MGBV8 on May 15, 2014, 08:48:16 PM
Quote...missing my 60HP 4 Banger!

Not a chance!

My wife wanted me to keep the stock engine in case I wanted to put it back.  HA! Yeah, right.