I know this comes up from time ti time, but does anyone actually still make these flares?
(http://www.britishv8.org/MG/Lilves-Racing.gif)
Thanks. I tire him but the email address i had was bogus.
I've actually had the rear flare molds completed, and am making new front molds.that have lips on the wheel opening. Since the rear is supported by the inner fender, no lip needed. Since the front doesn't have this support, I wan tot add a lip to afford some rigidity to the wheel opening.
The originals I have don't have a lip at any wheel opening.
Thanks - Tim
morSpeedPerformance.com
I have an original set of Huffakers flares in my GT that were installed in 1979. Still on to this day and the GT is going on the fourth restoration. Flares have endure wheel to wheel racing with minor repairs needed once in a while.
GTBodyWork018.jpg
Bill - would you put them on a street car without the lip on the front fender? (I'm thinking of things like SUV doors, shopping carts, and inconsiderate people leaning on them)
My GT has gone through lots of abuse and they are holding out better than some of the metal.
Putting a lip top protect them is not needed since the flare sticks out further than the body.
This time I have removed all of the molding and the body line of my GT, I just don't worry about it, the cars is much narrower than the average car.
OK, Im pretty set on the Huffakers for my build. Anyone know whast the maximum tire size is that can be fitted assuming perfect backspace? I want 255X50X16s but would be ok with 245s.
Bill, which flares are those please? Joe was selling them in at least two widths if memory serves.
Jim
Jim, my flares are original Huffakers and modified as you see them in the picture. The mods gives them a better look making them part of the body and not add-ons.
This are also original Huffakers flares also bought 2 sets in 1979 and set from Lives in San Francisco. Picture of stock flares as they are installed without any mods.
This ones will have the radius modify to fit tight the circumference of the tire, similar to a Porsche.
Tried to post pictures, but this forum pictures have to be minuscule. frustrating Curtis
To gain more space, the flares can be installed by placing them on top of the sheet metal instead of inside as suggested by Huffaker.
I have 15 X 8 wheels with 3 7/8" back space or 0 negative offset. Tires are 225X50X15 rear axle is 52"
It all depends on tire manufacturer, BFG" are wider than Fulkan etc... 3/8" minimum clearance is needed between the widest point of the tire (bulge) to the fender flare, a bit more is better.
DSC04394.jpg
Bill - that looks great! More pics?
DSC04390.jpg
GT is undergoing his fourth and final restoration. Gt is getting some mayor body, suspension and engine modifications.
GreenGT075.jpg
GreenGT073.jpg
This are the flares that I am installing. flares are also original Huffaker's that I bougth for spares.
This flares will be modify also but in a different way, I want them to fit the radius of the tire that I will be using, 225x60x15 a tight fit like those in the Bimmers and GT2 Porsche. The rest will remain the same.
JeffsRD006.jpg
RD.jpg
DSC01397.JPG
DSC01392.JPG
The ones pictured here are the style that I'll be offering. (photos borrowed from the web)
====
Moderator: I deleted the photos Tim posted because he didn't own the copyright on them. And besides, superior photos of the very same car appear in this article: Huffaker MGB: the number 9 car. (http://www.britishracecar.com/EddieBeal-MG-MGB.htm)
====
Thanks! I knew there were on here somewhere, but couldn't find them.
Hey gents, I see a lot of comments that 225X50s is as wide as one can go with Huffaker flares. I am currently running 215X55X16s on my stock rear B with the removal of the bump stop hump and 28MM offset. Its tight but doesn't rub anywhere. I figured with 4" backspace and the Huffaker flares that 245X50X16s would be an easy fit. If 225s is as wide as I can get, I don't know if I would go thru the trouble of installing the flares.
Keith - I've never done all the measurements with the axle in place, but here's an idea of what you'll get with Sebring-style flare, and I don't think the Huffaker flares would be much different.
b_flare_measure.jpg
(Curtis - I do own this photo)
Yes Tim, that's pretty close to the measurement I get with the Huffakers mocked up on the car. Maybe 1/2 inch less total opening. I guess I will find out before too much longer what the widest meat is that will fit!