BritishV8 Forum

General Category => Triumph Sports Cars => Topic started by: Moderator on January 22, 2014, 01:23:21 PM

Title: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: Moderator on January 22, 2014, 01:23:21 PM
Al Gary chose the supercharged version of Chevy's Ecotec LSJ engine for his 1971 Triumph TR-6.

At the rear wheels, he's getting 219 horsepower and 213 foot-pounds of very usable torque from a lightweight little engine that fits neatly, looks sharp, delivers great fuel economy, and meets modern emission standards. Very, very nice!

Have a look, and let us hear your comments!
<a href="http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm">Albert Gary's '71 TR-6 with Chevy Ecotec LSJ Supercharged Engine</a>

(http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary/AlbertGary-BA.jpg)

This article brought to you by:

(http://www.britishv8.org/Sponsors/TotalInductionTuningSolutions.jpg)

(http://www.britishv8.org/Sponsors/GoodParts.gif)
Title: Re: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: 88v8 on January 23, 2014, 04:53:47 AM
A lot of unobtrusive and thoughtful engineering in there. So well done, it could be taken for stock.
Clean engine bay, no spaghetti.
And the trunk fully available for luggage.
With the 4.08 rear end, about 23mph/1000 which I reckon has a slight bias towards acceleration, but is still a good ratio for cruising.
Personally I'd opt for the soundtrack and impracticalities of a V8, but have to admire what's been done here.

Ivor
Title: Re: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: Ronp on April 24, 2014, 03:46:27 AM
It's such a clean setup, nobody's going to believe it isn't factory.  It leaves me with mixed feelings, tho. This is Not a criticism, but I want my engine to look like I've done something to it. This one looks, well- perfect!
Title: Re: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: Trick6 on March 04, 2018, 09:09:42 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments.  I am reporting that it has been 5 seasons of driving with many road trips to places as Toronto, Maine, Philadelphia, Poconos, day trips through out New England and I have not been left stranded.  I have replaced a throttle body with new and presently working on deciphering a reoccurring throttle position sensor (accelerator pedal) failure. I am also deciding on a brake system upgrade.

The car is very fast and, with the 4.08 LSD differential and 0.59 5th gear, a very pleasant cruiser.  I still have not done a re-spray nor installed a radio.
Title: Re: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: TR6 347 on March 09, 2018, 08:50:15 PM
What a wonderful conversion you did! I know it was a lot of work. I love that it looks as if it came that way from the factory,"almost". That is the way I try to do my conversions if possible. Glad you are driving and enjoying the car.

Wondering who did the tachometer conversion if not you. Would appreciate their contact information. Thanks.

Happy Trails,

Joel
Title: Re: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: MGBV8 on March 10, 2018, 11:42:57 AM
Wow. top notch conversion!
Title: Re: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: tr6turbo on March 11, 2018, 10:41:03 AM
Great conversion.  We need more strong 4 cylinder conversions.
Title: Re: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: Trick6 on June 28, 2018, 04:16:11 PM
Hi Guys.  I am still having fun in this little car.  It is both a hoot and pleasure to drive. If any one has questions, just ask.
Title: Re: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: rficalora on June 29, 2018, 08:01:10 AM
Hey Al, awesome job on your car!  If you're not already planning to, you should join the group in Dayton for our get together the week after next (July 11-15 https://britishv8meet.org)
Title: Re: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: MGBV8 on June 29, 2018, 05:33:08 PM
Yes, bring it to Dayton!  There will be at least 5 other Triumph conversions there that I know of, 3 TR6s, a TR7/8 & a very wide Spitfire.
Title: Re: New HIWD: Al Gary's Supercharged Ecotec Powered TR-6
Post by: Trick6 on May 06, 2019, 08:27:26 AM
Hi Guys. My car is still running strong.  No serious issues. I made a trip to Toronto to the Big Show there, my wife and I went to the Poconos for a mini vacation, we have tripped to ME to visit the Mainers, in summary, I drive this car everywhere. Since the last time I have had to have the accelerator replaced (drive by wire) and added GP's front and rear sway bars. i changed the brake pads and rear shoes ceramic and wow.  The brake pedal travel is still an issue with me.   But the car is just too much fun.