BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: roverman on December 30, 2013, 01:57:52 PM

Title: Two Icons have passed.
Post by: roverman on December 30, 2013, 01:57:52 PM
Stuart Hilborn of Hilborn Injection and Andy Granatelli.  Pleasant journeys gentlemen.   Happy New Years-All, roverman.
Title: Re: Two Icons have passed.
Post by: MGBV8 on December 31, 2013, 08:13:53 PM
Sad to hear. I remember both those names. Wish them well in their next adventure.
Title: Re: Two Icons have passed.
Post by: Preform Resources on January 06, 2014, 12:37:27 PM
At the PRI show this year there was a gentleman with a Lencki six  indy car motor form the late 30s early 40s He acquired the entire  Joe Lencki collection of parts patterns etc and it had a Hilborn injection unit on it, one of THREE castings ever made when he inquired at Hilborn , Stu's son didn't have a clue to it's origin,,,,, in comes Stuart and says oh yeah I remember making those for Joe ! (short term memory loss here on my part) don't remember if he had a casting on a shelf some where or the patterns, I thought it was a great story about some interesting history, being an old fart , I love to hear tales about the guys who were pioneering this stuff  when I was younger.
Dave
Just googled up Lencki six and found this pic, Corky Coker funded this project, the man I talked to was on the right in this pic.
Lenckisix.jpg
Title: Re: Two Icons have passed.
Post by: roverman on January 06, 2014, 04:22:22 PM
I find it rewarding to ponder, how true pioneers of speed, such as these two, advanced racing and non-oem developement. I suspect in no small way, we can appreciate funding from the USAF, to Chrysler, for the design/building of a more powerful piston engine/hemi, for American/ally planes,(the jet was a separate program). After WWII, Crysler used part of this tech., to create the first passenger car hemi. Top fuel and alcohol racing, found a well suited home, for this design.  Cheers, roverman.