BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: classic conversions on November 03, 2013, 10:43:31 PM

Title: GT Windshield and rear hatch Rubber seal
Post by: classic conversions on November 03, 2013, 10:43:31 PM
Question, has anyone installed the seals backwards, meaning the outside part of the seal inside to avoid the seem that is left if no chrome pieces are used.

A matter of taste, I do not want the chrome pieces on the windshield or rear hatch on my GT project.
I was thinking of installing them backwards.

I think, well I know that it will work, I will make work, just wondering if anyone has done it.

Or.... is there a rubber seal that does not use the chrome pieces.
Title: Re: GT Windshield and rear hatch Rubber seal
Post by: robert1839 on November 04, 2013, 12:54:06 AM
i believe that the chrome pieces are separate to the seal so u could just take them off or just not put them on. but i have never tried to separate them or seen them apart
Title: Re: GT Windshield and rear hatch Rubber seal
Post by: pspeaks on November 04, 2013, 01:32:10 AM
I have installed both front and rear windshields, seals, and polished aluminum trim (it's not really chrome) and I can tell you this.  I would rather ride a Gold Wing to a Hells Angel meeting than touch that job again and that goes double if I ever consider doing the aluminum trim again.  If I could put it in backwards I would.  I'm not all that crazy about the look either.


Paul
Title: Re: GT Windshield and rear hatch Rubber seal
Post by: rubbinisracin on November 04, 2013, 08:54:07 AM
Yea I have done both the front and rear and agree with Paul. I wouldn't wish that job on my worst enemy. I wish I had been thinking outside of the box like you and thought to put them on backwards, that's a great idea.  However, I do think that the aluminum trim pieces help tighten the seal to the windshield so I would just consider a place holder or something.  It does have a rubber rod like material that gets pressed in that might do the job fine.
Title: Re: GT Windshield and rear hatch Rubber seal
Post by: rporter on November 04, 2013, 08:10:36 PM
I installed my TR6 windshield without the chrome trim which really is a plastic moulding and all has held up well and is water tight. It's cosmetic and not that good a look.