BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: perrymgbv8 on October 17, 2013, 05:09:47 PM

Title: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: perrymgbv8 on October 17, 2013, 05:09:47 PM
I have to admit that i wimped out today on the dyno. I ran the ign system heavily retarded by 7 degree's below what I should (on paper) be running with the modified Rover 3.9 engine.

But after the last years engine damage and rebuild cost i wanted to be safe. I could tell I was still way too retarded because I had blue flames coming out of the 12 foot extension pipes on the dyno.n And the run had to be cut a little short. As the rear wheels hit 147mph the slicks ballooned and one of them clipped the wheel arch metal and started to smoke.

I'm more than happy with the result. my modified Rover 3.9 litre engine is at last in the 500's :)

(http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb270/mgbv8_photo/Dyno25deg12psiand175nos001_zpsbca0f0c1.jpg) (http://s205.photobucket.com/user/mgbv8_photo/media/Dyno25deg12psiand175nos001_zpsbca0f0c1.jpg.html)



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9hFNNKX2HA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: Moderator on October 17, 2013, 05:24:06 PM
Awesome!

Just Awesome!



When you have a minute, please cross-post your dyno results here: http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?10,26772
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on October 18, 2013, 09:15:36 AM
Very impressive. That's a lot of power out of a Rover.

Jim
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: MGBV8 on October 18, 2013, 09:43:12 AM
From a 3.9?!    WOW!
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB, tire sponsor needed.
Post by: roverman on October 18, 2013, 11:58:37 AM
Congratulations Perry !  How about a build sheet/How it was done ?  I suspect you used a lot of non-stock components, to reliably sustain all that power ?  Cheers, roverman.
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: Moderator on October 18, 2013, 12:12:12 PM
There is a <a href="http://www.britishv8.org/MG/PerryStephenson.htm">How It Was Done</a> - although to find it in the gallery section you'd need to look in the factory MGB GT V8 section. Perry just promised me an updated version and new photos, so I'll be updating it soon!
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: DiDueColpi on October 18, 2013, 01:34:39 PM
Yes, impressive indeed!
I saw the before pictures on that other inferior forum.
That those rods didn't fail sooner is amazing.
That "s" curve is just the rod reacting to a compressive load that is exceeding it's limits.
It tends to get pulled straight on the toss (exhaust) stroke and fractures very quickly.
We see it often in the boosted Volvo white engines.
It first shows up as a very light knock at idle. Sounds just like a forged piston knock when it's cold.
Generally just after a detonation episode.
The very next pass tends to ventilate the block thoroughly.
Well done on the power numbers!
Cheers
Fred
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: perrymgbv8 on October 18, 2013, 03:51:22 PM
"" I suspect you used a lot of non-stock components, to reliably sustain all that power ? Cheers, roverman.""

The only non stock internals are +20 Omega Forged pistons and Chevy 5700 rods on the moving assembly. I have fitted custom billet cranks bearing covers as well with cross bolts added as the block didnt have them.

I'm very happy with the results. But bear in mind that I did say "Modified Rover 3.9" ???

When I get some time I'll send Curtis a full build report with pictures. I'm very pleased with the engine so far :)

Regards
Perry
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: mgb260 on October 18, 2013, 06:02:51 PM
Perry, Stock sleeves or tophat?
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: classic conversions on October 19, 2013, 03:49:01 PM
I wonder what a Mustang dyno would read.
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: perrymgbv8 on October 19, 2013, 05:13:03 PM
"Perry, Stock sleeves or tophat?"

Stock Sleeves Jim.
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: BMC on October 19, 2013, 11:42:12 PM
Awesome Results Perry!!!

Would love to see the how-it-was-done article on that engine and driveline. Always love comparative notes from one engine build to another.

Also, like Curtis said, post those results over on that thread. It's nice to have one place for results.

-BMC.
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: perrymgbv8 on October 20, 2013, 04:15:11 PM
Hi Brian
I'm putting together some pictures of the engine. Just need to figure out how to rescue them from my crashed laptop ?  Shouldnt be too long as a friend is going to look at it for me :)

Regards
Perry
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: v8bloke on October 21, 2013, 12:37:35 PM
Awesome result you will be faster than ever!

Mark
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: cgill on October 24, 2013, 12:36:26 AM
Perry, congrats on getting the front page of MG Enthusiast magazine this month. Great article too!

Cheers,
Chris
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: perrymgbv8 on November 01, 2013, 06:24:23 PM
Thanks Chris.

It was a good day out to be honest. Simon Goldsworthy was very patient and followed me around all day to get the info for the article while I was prepping and racing the MG. He is a very nice guy.
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: cgill on November 04, 2013, 01:43:03 PM
He is a great guy and was also very patient with my story.
Title: Re: Dyno result from today with the MGB
Post by: Migge on November 06, 2013, 05:15:11 AM
Talked to RUSSELL McCARTHY at the 6hours race event in SPA/Belgium this fall.

He won his divison and he stated that his MGB with 3.9 had 424 HP on the Dyno a few weeks before!!

The car ran fantastic with unbelievable power.

http://mccarthymotorsport.webs.com/
PICT5364.JPG