BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: HealeyRick on September 28, 2013, 11:40:01 AM

Title: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: HealeyRick on September 28, 2013, 11:40:01 AM
Nice example of how they were done back in the day:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MG-MGB-AC-Cobra-Sunbeam-Tiger-other-1963-1-owner-45-years-period-V8-conversion-Hollywood-Sporscars-/281176549590?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item41776da8d6
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: MGBV8 on September 28, 2013, 12:18:15 PM
There ya go, Curtis. A very early MGB V8 conversion that can be documented.
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: classic conversions on September 28, 2013, 10:07:14 PM
Hollywood sport cars also built a race Sumbeam with small block ford.

They were well known for their Ferrari work and the famous Gulld Wing Benz with a Chevy V8 and 4 speed. Later it was put back to stock by the new owner. Also a 1937 Triumph with small block Chevy still around in the valley.

Lots of cars with engine swaps came from that shop. Never as famous as Hollywood Motors home of the famous Old Yeller
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on September 29, 2013, 11:14:20 AM
An early conversion but there were earlier ones, IIRC one in particular clear back around '63 that we have a newspaper article in the archives of, and it seems to me Jim Staube was back in that period with his first. The true pioneers.

Jim
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: HealeyRick on September 29, 2013, 01:53:34 PM
QuoteNever as famous as Hollywood Motors home of the famous Old Yeller

I think Jim Blackwood adopted Max Balchowsky's motto:  "We can replace anything with anything."
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on September 29, 2013, 04:34:14 PM
;-)
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: Jim Stabe on September 29, 2013, 07:59:28 PM
Mine was in 1971. I hadn't heard of any before that at the time. In 1974 when the factory V8 car was introduced, I learned that the guy in England was building the prototype about the same time I was doing mine. It was funny because in the Road and Track article about the car they mentioned that the factory should have put in the IRS from the XKE to make the car handle and ride better.

Jim003.jpg
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: Preform Resources on September 30, 2013, 01:28:12 PM
I just was perusing some Goodwood festival pics and saw a shot of the old Ronnie Bucknum  Honda FI car .
Dave
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: classic conversions on October 01, 2013, 02:36:57 PM
I did an early 215 2 v carb and three sped 66 B engine came from Buick Skylark it was done after Jim's S car. No idea that one was already done.

I used to visit Hollywood Motors Barry's body shop and others back in the late 60's and got to meet the CREW and saw many cars that were an influence in many of my projects. Guldstrand  Mr Corvette and gasoline alley behind the shop were many cars were tested in the days. I later became member of Guldstrans Racing Assc.

Memory lane, racing in La Tuna canyon and the Valley races on Sunday night, Van Nuys, San Fernando road.
Organised street racing in Long Beach, Pasadena, Colorado street in Sana Ana  and Bolsa Chica in Huntington Beach and Bakersfield.
We picked one or two places in the weekend starting on Friday evening til late Sunday, some times until Monday if the car needed repairs.

Maybe Jim S remembers those places. I wish they were back. Nothing like it these days. Heard of some street racing going on in the Mid West.

Sign of getting old when we start remembering ladies and events :-)
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: Jim Stabe on October 01, 2013, 06:58:45 PM
I never made it out to the San Fernando Valley but there was lots of activity in the Whittier area - both organized and impromptu. 6th Avenue and Diamond Bar (before it was completed) come to mind. We had lots of twisties up in La Habra Heights that we would run from time to time.
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: pspeaks on October 03, 2013, 02:34:28 AM
Jim, I lived in San Diego for five years after I retired in 1993 and loved it, wish I was still there.  I don't think they would approve of my car "post V8 modifications," but as a 4 cyl I was a member of the San Diego MG Club and we went to an all British Car Show at Del Mar every year.  Do they still have it there?


Paul
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: Jim Stabe on October 03, 2013, 09:55:02 AM
They still have the show but the venue moves around. It has been in Fallbrook, Liberty Station (the old Naval Training Center), and Admiral Baker field. This year it is at the Embarkadero but I will miss it - going on a cruise.
Title: Re: Hollywood Sport Cars Conversion
Post by: pspeaks on October 03, 2013, 11:13:36 AM
I'm not married to California politics (car laws) but I do miss the state and the car culture there.  Should never have sold that house!  Enjoy the cruise.


Paul