BritishV8 Forum

General Category => Triumph Sports Cars => Topic started by: KBStag on July 30, 2013, 08:24:01 AM

Title: 73 Triumph Stag Original V8 Runs great.
Post by: KBStag on July 30, 2013, 08:24:01 AM
I switched out the old radiator for a new Aluminum one.  Added dual fans to the front, and replaced the factory fan with a better new fan.  New struts in the front, new shocks in the back.  Had a good tune up, with carbs rebuilt.  The transmission was rebuilt, and top and bottom engine rebuilt.  
I have been enjoying this Stag for over a year now, and it's been a blast.  I have been stuck in traffic and watched the temp stay in the medium range, while holding my breath.  Whew...  No issues.  
It's a drag taking the top down, putting it up.  That does take some time.  I figured the best way to deal with this was to just keep the top down, and buy another one and keep the hard top on.  
The new one should arrive today.  I have not seen it in person yet.  It's a 71 from the original owner with 29K miles.  Original owner said he did have the engine worked on to keep it from overheating.  I have had a couple of other Stags with ford and chevy engines.  For me, they ran too hard, and too hot.  That is why I decided to go with the original engine.  I really love this car, and I get to drive it.  
I will post up the new stag with photos in the condition I recieve it.  
Don't fear the Stag.
October20123636.JPG
October20123637.JPG

UPDATE:  I am guessing this is just for me.  (Does anybody really read olden posts ?)  Taking the top down is a bit of a pain, so why not just get another and keep the hard top on.  
Here it is.  My "Top Up" stag.
Original Engine.  All is well.  In the summer I will get the AC charged, and repaired if need.
Stagsilver.jpg
Stag55.jpg
Title: Re: 73 Triumph Stag Original V8 Runs great.
Post by: 88v8 on July 31, 2013, 02:22:30 AM
'It's a drag taking the top down, putting it up. That does take some time. I figured the best way to deal with this was to just keep the top down, and buy another one and keep the hard top on. '

The top on my TR6 is a bit of a faff, but yours is really an enthusiast's solution. So, you set off in one car, and tow the other one behind you, and if it rains you swap over?

:}

Ivor
Title: Re: 73 Triumph Stag Original V8 Runs great.
Post by: KBStag on July 12, 2014, 10:19:19 AM
The sad fact is, there isn't any rain in Los Angeles often enough to worry about it.  Both cars are running great.
Both have the original engines, and ice cold AC blowing.  I don't use the AC while in stop and go, or slow traffic, it tends to sound "grindy" once I am on a smooth drive of 45 MPH or faster, the AC hums along and the cold air flows.    OK, Yes, you are thinking, why the AC with the top down?  At night's its close to 80 and even with the top down, a little bit of the cool air just makes it that much nicer.  In the day it can get up to 95 or higher, and then it's really nice to have AC.    
Is a third Stag a crazy idea ?  Someone out there talk me down off the ledge.
Title: Re: 73 Triumph Stag Original V8 Runs great.
Post by: Richard/SIA on July 12, 2014, 11:17:58 AM
I an send you a CL link for a guy selling FOUR of them.
Not sure of condition but pretty certain they are projects/parts cars/conversion candidates.
At seven you might then have the largest collection.
Title: Re: 73 Triumph Stag Original V8 Runs great.
Post by: StagByTriumph on July 12, 2014, 03:33:53 PM
I'd like to see that link too!

BTW, best support for Triumph Stags in the USA is my web site
TriumphStag.net  all free but you have to register.
Title: Re: 73 Triumph Stag Original V8 Runs great.
Post by: Richard/SIA on July 12, 2014, 06:25:06 PM
I put that link and FOUR more up on the sale forum.
I think that's about seven cars and some body parts.

http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?11,47152

I wish GT6 parts were so easy to find.