Please make your plans and for our 2nd ANNUAL British V8 (et al) gathering at the Talley Ho Inn in Townsend Tn.
October 4th-6th, 2013 .
This is the last week-end before the fall tourist season kicks in. We had a great time despite rain last year. Call now; since another non-related event is planned for same hotel,
Rooms are scarce. Be sure and advise you are with the British V8 group!
Tally-Ho! 1-800-448-2465 or 1-865-448-2465.
NO CHARGE FOR THE EVENT
Indications are this will be a will attended event. This post was just one of several sent out to interested Brit V8, et al, drivers. 14-16 positive room bookings and replies to date. Don't this the "Peaceful Side of the Smokies" in early Fall.
The weatherman has promised beautiful weather for that weekend (he's lied before).
Whatever the weather, it'll be a great time.
Actually, this is the third event we've had here, but just the second annual event. The first was held in 2008. The weather was scorching hot for the first one, cold and wet for the second. We're due for perfect weather this time.
Looks like I'll be bringing some family this time.
Jim
Just wondering, has anyone checked into renting the large house near the office? maybe a group share expense for a group of people who need rooms similar to last time?
Hi all,
After having missed a couple of meets, am looking forward to seeing you and enjoying the Smokies in fall. Room booked!
dave burstyn
Kelly, I'm pretty sure Richard was going to reserve the white house, pretty much same as usual.
Jim
All three houses have been rented. I have rented the Chalet. Two of the three bedrooms are filled, and the third has tentative guests. If push comes to shove, we could stack a few on the floor or on the couch.
Hopefully, Richard has snagged the white house. Sleeping 16, that works out well for a bunch of friends, and is in the middle of the action.
We will most likely have a fire pit in front of the chalet Friday and Saturday night. BYOB and party down!
Great! appears many of our group will attend. Jim Watson and I appreciate all the support this event has generated. Jim is the MAN. He did all the legwork and as usual, his effort shows. He also does the Blount Cty. Brit Car show in May for their club. Since Dan "The Weatherman" promised beautiful weather, it will be a great week-end. Thanks again for your support and look forward to seeing all our friends and family again in Townsend at the Talley Ho.
Dave, have not seen you at a meet in a long time! look forward to seeing you in October!
Unfortunately, Jean and I will not be in attendance. <sad face>
Real Bummer Rick, we hoped to have one night available for dinner at Hooters in Alcoa, Dan is probably familiar with this:)
We may need to bring warm clothes to Townsend! It is all ways cooler in the Mountains.
QuoteReal Bummer Rick, we hoped to have one night available for dinner at Hooters in Alcoa, Dan is probably familiar with this:)
Hooters? Is that an owl sanctuary?
new-1.jpg
30 days till it happens! don't miss this years last chance to enjoy the "Gathering" We expect a large number of our fellow V8 bunch and of course the other "modified " guys and women are welcome. The Mississippi River will probably be the West boundary for our attendees from the west (West Tennessee maybe?), but Canada and east coast(NC) should have Reps.as well as Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Indiana,South Carolina and Kentucky.
ALL ARE WELCOME! SAFETY FASTER!
I have the big house and have room for some more people to stay. Have one bedroom for a couple. Plus other beds in rooms and
o
n pull out couches. Please let know if you have any interest in this. Cann't wait to see all.
Richard "Fiber" Moor
WIsh we could be there.
The Maloney's will be there to represent Ohio............
(Hooters, is that an Owl Sanctuary?)
No, but there are a lot of Birds there...haha
Carol and I are planning on being there in the GT.
Dan has promised great weather :-)
Martyn & Carol, "COME ON DOWN" AKA -Price is Right=
We need a "HEADCOUNT" of attendees please. Jim Watson had arranged Dinner on Sat. Night and approximate number needed to get proper size room. Miss Lily's Café Good Food and Much Drinks! Sound Off if you plan to attend!
Katie and I have our room booked.
I'll be there. Robin may come for a while.
We'll be there!
Margaret and I will be there.
Steve
Count on me and brother Al. Mike
Park officials are predicting good colors in the park this year, beginning in early October in the higher elevations and continuing in the lower elevations through the end of October.
Carol and I are planning on attending
Kay and I will be there!
Hope Robin does come.
I'll be bringing Edith and Matthew, and this year my sister Martha who may be bringing her daughter LuAnn and/or her husband Chreed (creed).
Jim
Lorna& I will be there.
Kelly and Jim, I talked to Bill Yobi this weekend. He is coming down this time year as well.
Mike
Cool!
Deb, Nick, and I are coming in the BBC (big British car).
TD
Sounds like a good turn out for this year. How about a weather report from the locals? It's been very nice here in the North so far this fall!
Mike
Sunny & Warm, temps in low 60's night and high 70's-80? day time. Possibly dry and leaves may turn early.
What time is it? Dickel Time!
One week to go, and the weatherman is still predicting fine weather for the weekend.
<Sunny & Warm, temps in low 60's night and high 70's-80? day time. Possibly dry and leaves may turn early.
What time is it? Dickel Time!>
Dan, wish I could be there, would bring a Moosehead chaser for Kelly and his Dickel.
Phil
Thanks Phil. Guess the leaves up in your area are changing now? Maybe a little color will develop this week, but don't know. The thought of Moosehead chaser is appealing!
I went flying here in Southern Ontario a couple of days ago and even here, the leaves are only just beginning to change color. There are, of course, lots of interactive website out there to guide you on the color changes. Here's one:
http://www.weather.com/activities/driving/fallfoliage/#statecitymaplist
We're heading south Wednesday noon. That will give us time to explore West Virginia a bit, pass through Little Switzerland and enjoy the Pisgah Mountains on the way to Townsend. The weather forecast looks great!
Little Switzerland 2008:
IMG_0116.JPG
Little Switzerland 2008:
IMG_0115.JPG
Blue Ridge Parkway 2008:
IMG_0128.JPG
Blue Ridge Parkway 2008:
IMG_0130.JPG
Sounds like a great adventure Ken! Kay and I are doing it in reverse, Friday/Saturday/Sunday in Townsend, Monday/Tues/Wednesday in Waynesville NC....Balsam/Pisgah Mountain....
Any idea which part of WV you will be exploring this time?
Hi Dan,
"Any idea which part of WV you will be exploring this time?"
As a matter of fact, we almost dropped in on you, (Charleston,WV.) last August 5th. We were coming back from the Street Rod Nationals, Louisville KY. on the bikes exploring those beautful West Virginia roads. Here's one you must know, Prenter Rd. from Gordon to Seth, WV.:
http://tinyurl.com/lmzyd2b
Here's something we discovered, a Rail to Road tunnel. This one, just south of Dingess, WV. is one lane, very slippery surface and stretches for about 1 KM. Built 1914. Once you enter it there's no turning around, no lights inside, dripping water everywhere.....spooky!
IMG_2369.JPG
IMG_2377.JPG
More turtle rescues:
IMG_2378.JPG
I couldn't find any specific info on my 1914 tunnel but here's a website that features a nearby tunnel we went through and the website can lead you to other historic fascinations:
http://bridgehunter.com/wv/mingo/bh37211/
So where are we going through this time? Probably in the Beckley area. Good old coal mining roads down there too. Lots of anti-Obama signs.
That is really cool. I had not seen that one before. Rt. 85 and over Bolt Mt. to Beckley from there is a pretty drive, no doubt you've done that one. Backbone rock in East Tennessee looks interesting. http://bridgehunter.com/tn/johnson/backbone-rock-tunnel/
I have rappelled off of the side of Backbone Rock with the Boy Scouts. Not a tunnel, though. I caught a 4 1/2 foot black snake bare handed on top of Backbone Rock right over the road. The young scouts were impressed. No biggie, I didn't look down. ;)
Two of my favorite roads are right in that area...Rt. 20 just east of Beckley (can catch it off I-64) that runs through Hinton and along the gorge area,....down past Pipe Stem Park and eventually down to Princeton/Bluefield...and Rt. 12 out of Alderson (maybe Roncevert too??) and runs along the Greenbrier river...two of the best sports car roads ever...I'm sure Dan and Jim can provide a lot more detail..................
Mike,
I'll agree with you, US 20 is a good alternative for anyone travelling North/South if they don't want to use I 79 - US19 and I 77. My favourite section is past Holly River State Park. It's least congested in that area.
I'll highlight US 12/Anderson area. Thanks.
The New River Gorge is fun too. When we went past there last year we couldn't use the bridge because it was closed for the annual "Bridge Day".
http://www.officialbridgeday.com/
Waiting for the train beneath the 876' New River Gorge Bridge, July 2007:
:
IMG_4223.JPG
There are some really nice waves in that river right beside where your car is parked, Ken.
Alderson is famous for the women's prison that most recently housed Martha Stewart. Other noted guests included Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, Sara Jane Moore and Billie Holiday. Rt. 12 is a very pretty drive along the Greenbrier River. A notable stop near Talcott is the John Henry statue.
I really wish I could join you guys this weekend! Timing is everything though.
Perky and I (Charles) are planning a ride over on Friday. I am Jim Watson brother by different parents. We will be coming from Cleveland TN via The Old Copper Road, thru Reliance, Telico Plains, The Cherola Skyway, The Dragons Tail, then Foot Hills Parkway, to Townsend.
Welcome Charles & Perky. We'd love to have you visit with us. BTY, I now know how I mistook you for Jim ! :-) Looks like a excellent turn-out even w/o the Federal Govt. Guess I will travel up side road (US 411) from Sweetwater to Maryville.
Any update on the weather for the weekend?
Forecast:
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Townsend+TN+37882
Thanks Carl.....I thought Dan might have a direct line to the weather!
"One week to go, and the weatherman is still predicting fine weather for the weekend."
I have given the weatherman precise instructions as to the weather I want for this weekend and warned of dire consequences should he fail to follow through.
We'll see!
Too bad that the Visitors Centers, etc, of the Smoly Mountain National Park will be closed. But I know that you guys will be able to find things to entertain yourself in spite of our current predicament!
Have a GREAT weekend....break the fun meter for me!
The LBC roads will be open!
All of the national parks are closed. This includes The Great Smoky Mountain, some of the roads within the parks may also be closed. I guess we will find out when the pipe is across the road. This also means none of the welcome centers or rest areas within the parks will be open.
I could see them close the Little River Road just to piss us off.
Little river road is closed, the foothills parkway is closed, the Gatlinburg-Newfound Gap-Cherokee road is open, the "Dragon" is open, Cheroholla parkway is open. To get to the Newfound Gap road from Townsend will require a detour through Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg via Wears Valley, a pretty nice drive. To get to the "Dragon," you'll have to back track towards Alcoa/Maryville a bit, either taking 411 to 129, or taking some minor backroads via Happy Valley road.
Jim Watson is an expert on the back roads, so he can provide directions if needed.
I don't see how they justify closing the Foothills Parkway. It's a road.
Carl, CLOWNS don't play by the rules:-)
QuoteI don't see how they justify closing the Foothills Parkway. It's a road.
I don't either, but the info I have says they did. I hope I'm wrong. I'm sure the people who live in the "Top of the World" community by Look Rock hope so too.
I don't know how long this link is good for, but here's a report from a local TV station:
http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/maryville-blount/2013/10/01/shutdown-strands-some-blount-kids-at-school/2903359/
BTW, the backup routes that they say are too narrow and twisty for a school bus are perfect for small, nimble sports cars!
Maragaret and I have arrived. Little River Rd is closed. Wear valley rd is very crowded. Not alot of fun.
Steve
Steve, thanks for the update. Closed roads are for making TV commercial runs. Could be a blast! I won't tell. If it were that easy. Still look forward to the Lies, Tire kicking, and Dickel. Mike
Somebody take some bolt cutters!
I think I can drive my MG under that gate! ;)
On one of the Grand Lake Tours (a 24-hour/1000 mile rallye around Lake Michigan for British cars 1980 and older), we wanted to use a "short cut" through the forest on a power company road.
We simply drove around the locked gate at the start of the road....but found a 4 foot ditch on either side of the gate on the exit of the road at the other end that prevented us from driving around the gate.
We thought about it for a minute....then got out our tools and took apart the hinges, pivoted the gate on the lock, drove through, then reassembled the hinges.
Folks about a mile down the road from our exit point were rather surprised to see an MG drive by...that they had NOT seen drive by in the opposite direction ealier.
Who knew you were such an outlaw?
Matthew and I will be heading that way in a few hours. May not get there until after dark.
Jim
Still wrenching on my B. ;)
In 1977 in Speedy Spaulding's Torino we drove around barricades on I-64 between Louisville and St. Louis and saved about an hour. The highway was finished but they hadn't painted the lines yet.
If the Park Service employees are furloughed, does that mean there won't be any rangers around?
You guys too busy or too hung over to post updates?
<grin>
QuoteYou guys too busy or too hung over to post updates
Yes. News at eleven.
They are on the way back from Cherahola parkway, we'll be having dinner at seven.
Weather has been great, lots of fun, plenty of spirited driving, etc
I'm home, getting ready to head back to Townsend.
Back from. the Dragon and arrived prior to the bunch that bypassed the Dragon. Went to dinner and had great time. Long day,but fun. Tomorrow is day for return trip home 3rd annual Gathering will be first week in Oct. 2014 . Plan Now to be here with us.SAFETY FASTER!
Anyone going to post some photos? Please...............??
Arrived back in Fayetteville around 12:15 CDT. Beautiful day and great ride. NO RAIN and the parts windshield did well also.
QuoteAnyone going to post some photos? Please...............??
Lots of photos were taken, so we should have some posted after everyone gets home and recovers.
Jim Blackwoods sister took a bunch, as did Jim Watson's wife. Jim & Jim - post them, please.
Anyone else?
It was a ton of fun, even if some of our favorite roads were closed.
The Harveys/Maloneys relax after crossing a footbridge behind Miss Lillys restaurant Sunday afternoon (the brunch there was outstanding....
Townsend20136.jpg
Townsend20137.jpg
Saw this "V8" this afternoon in front of the Subway....gives a whole new meaning to V8 meet in Townsend...hahaha
Townsend20135.jpg
Townsend20134.jpg
Townsend20133.jpg
Townsend20132.jpg
This is primarily for Graham and Gordy.....I drank plenty of this at Miss Lillys and the Steak and Trout House!!!
Townsend20131.jpg
QuoteThis is primarily for Graham and Gordy...
Yep, I remember it well - the sports bar in Jackson, TN on the return trip from Palestine, TX last year. Good beer to go with good company.
Sounds like a good time was had by all in Townsend...kinda missed being there!
Graham,
Yes, it would have been good to have an additional Canadian representative in Townsend this year.
Katie and I had a great day here on Saturday. I drove Kelly Stevenson's Hot Rod MGB while she drove the TR6 with Kelly riding shot gun between the two cars. Everyone was happy! We drove the Cherohala Parkway, the Dragon and some additional exciting local roads that I'm sorry it took so long for me to discover.
After a night of line dancing at Cotton Eye Joes here in Knoxville, we're headed across the Dragon, (third time) to enjoy Chimney Rock State Park then meander north.
We had a little light rain last night but it looks like clear sailing the rest of the week for camping.
Cheers,
Ken
For those of you who went back to Townsend via Happy Valley, how did that work out? How were the roads? Scenery?
Happy Valley Road was narrow, slow, & a bit rough. We were going 20-25mph and a cop on the side of the road was yelling at us to slow down before we ran into each other. Once at the top, we entered the Top of the Mountain community that has no school bus service due to the Foothills Parkway being stupidly closed. Heading down the other side, I thought I heard banjos. We don't get many visitors 'round here. ;)
The Top Of The World community is a dual community. The old, original section consists of very, very small homes and mostly poor people. The new section consists of big, expensive homes and mostly rich people.
You couldn't pay me to live in either one.
I found out why that cop was so pissed. Seems that the Dragon crew (Max, Ken, Katie...) had come through there a few seconds earlier at slightly sub-light speed, so naturally they took it out on us. Who could blame 'em?
I thoroughly enjoyed that road personally. Very tight curves in spots and NO traffic other than us. The area close to the parkway underpass reminded me very much of some favorite W.Va roads.
Jim
:) No doubt!
Well, the cop that helped us when Tim's Jag was having fuel starvation issues was part of that crew & definitely had a much better attitude. I enjoyed Happy Valley Rd., as well, even if Mike Moore was driving my car instead of...well, you know. That road reminded me of a lot of rural back roads in my area.
Hey all,
I want to say a BIG THANK YOU for your help getting us up and then down Happy Valley Road. It was just a little stressful seeing the road just keep going up at each switch back while listening to the engine knock like a diesel. I didn't see the exhaust pipes actually glowing, but they were certainly hot! It's one thing to get stuck on the side of the road; this little episode amped that up by at least a factor of 10.
Aside from the fuel issue, I liked the road.
With the nonworking pusher pump out of the way, the ride home was uneventful.
It is now my goal to come to a gathering and NOT have some kind of repair to do. :-)
TD
Perk and I left Sunday morning to find which wrong turn we had taken and took another turn and ended up in Bean Station, TN. Thank all of you guys for letting us come play. Glad we had no more issuses than we did, speaks well of you guys. Drive it like you stoled it. I am with Dan you could not pay me to live at the top of the world. Had lots of good times, we leave Thursday for Calaway Gardens for GOF South.
Disclaimer----Ken had the car under control 100%. No reckless driving or speeding, no straight away long enough :-). The Happy Valley road was very enjoyable and allowed us to arrive prior to others who failed to drive The Dragon. Had a great week end and hope to attend next year. The BCBC has their show in early May and you can get a head start.
Really enjoyed the time in Townsend......great friends, twisty roads, beautiful weather, awesome cars, great food........what better way to spend a weekend! Thanks Dan and Jim!!!
Here's a few pics.
DSCN0369small.jpg
DSCN0381small.jpg
PA056306small.jpg
PA056329small.jpg
A few more pics
PA056353small.jpg
PA056353small.jpg
PA056360small.jpg
PA056362small.jpg
OK....a few more
PA056399small.jpg
PA056580small.jpg
PA056572small.jpg
PA056556small.jpg
The last few more
PA056504small.jpg
PA056500small.jpg
PA056492small.jpg
PA056399small.jpg
Pic of my MGB Scooter. Jim Watson gave me the script to add since it was not a BRIT. Believe it or not, it fits in the trunk of my car and only the seat has to sit in passenger side seat. Hauled it to Townsend and back plus we brought a windshield assembly back in the passenger side also. Great weekend. Dan B idea of the 2016 meet in Oct could work? what do the rest of you think?
MGBScooter.JPG
Kelly,
Welcome to the RED MGB Club! ;)
Thanks Carl. Some of the pics from Killboy and Hwy 129 are up now. Killboy pics begin around from #1793 and follow on next page also. Dragon and Cherolaha Pkwy have 2 separate sets since there were 2 photo stations each on Dragon and Pkwy also.
Somebody flip a photo? I don't remember all of us driving on the wrong side of the road. ;)
Here I am again, posting late to a thread. It takes me time to get it all together.
We made it home from Townsend safe and sound on the Wednesday.
On our drive along the Cherohala Sunday, we stopped at Bald River Falls. I'd highly recommend the side trip, especially for a cool dip on a hot southern day.
Bald River Falls:
(http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/dynobeast/d6fae55b-050d-4dc0-81d1-4a5c113a1f27_zpsca153aae.jpg) (http://s488.photobucket.com/user/dynobeast/media/d6fae55b-050d-4dc0-81d1-4a5c113a1f27_zpsca153aae.jpg.html)
(http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/dynobeast/50cff743-9e35-4f2f-adf8-1f1d794da72b_zpse73d810a.jpg) (http://s488.photobucket.com/user/dynobeast/media/50cff743-9e35-4f2f-adf8-1f1d794da72b_zpse73d810a.jpg.html)
(http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/dynobeast/d0fadc3a-5a5c-44cc-93c3-d7dd5bd98dc4_zpsef26e735.jpg) (http://s488.photobucket.com/user/dynobeast/media/d0fadc3a-5a5c-44cc-93c3-d7dd5bd98dc4_zpsef26e735.jpg.html)
Cool Dip:
(http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/dynobeast/87ee6891-3365-4aa6-bc39-ac3d9042166f_zps7140f70b.jpg) (http://s488.photobucket.com/user/dynobeast/media/87ee6891-3365-4aa6-bc39-ac3d9042166f_zps7140f70b.jpg.html)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y7ffKILJr18?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Thanks to Kelly Stevenson, Dan Masters and Jim Watson for doing the legwork to make this annual event come off. Here's a photo of Kelly and Jim at a rest stop along the Cherohala Highway.
(http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr246/dynobeast/79dcf9d6-0822-4c8e-a879-fd6a61521e5e_zps7769a289.jpg) (http://s488.photobucket.com/user/dynobeast/media/79dcf9d6-0822-4c8e-a879-fd6a61521e5e_zps7769a289.jpg.html)
On our drive north to Toronto, we used highway #311 through the Jefferson National Forest. Even ended up on a gravel road crossing a mountain pass by mistake. The note on the map, "closed in winter " should have been my tip off.
From there we headed up the Monongahela National Forest, pass Seneca Rocks and up highway #72, West Virginia. The lower section of #72 particularly impressed me. Between Dry Fork and Hendrick, it's a narrow, two lane, no painted center line local road serving the farms in the area. That stretch is only 30 kms but it dives down into several valleys, rising back each time then follows the river. I'm going back for more!
Here's a link:
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=205477914554040419128.0004e8dc7b42b519631a5&msa=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=39.015918,-79.601691&spn=0.118288,0.058024&output=embed"></iframe>
<small>View <a href="https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=205477914554040419128.0004e8dc7b42b519631a5&msa=0&hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=39.015918,-79.601691&spn=0.118288,0.058024&source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">Driving directions to Dry Fork, WV, United States</a> in a larger map</small>
From there, it was a straight shot north but not without some mechanical issues. But that's another story.
Ken, you & Katie are the Fun & Adventure Champs!
Tucker County. That is one of the highest elevation areas in WV. I have been over a lot of it, but don't know what roads, they are all crooked!
Around Germany Valley is also an interesting area.
Jim
Thanks to Melinda Watson, we have some more pictures to look at. They can be found here:
http://www.blountbritishcars.org/fall%202013%20v8%20meet/2013%20fall%20gathering.htm
great photos
It sure is some nice looking roads and trees out in TN. Wish we could have made it out that way. Maybe next time!
Calvin, you would love it , but it is along Way from Ca. Bill G took over a week to do the trip in 2006. I'm sure the entire V8,(etc) bunch appreciate the effort and time you & Wife put forth in attending our events.