Earlier this week he's got a new photo of his super clean fuse block and wiring behind the dash. Looking for more on his logic and decisions for why he's working this out. He is an engineer so maybe it's, "just because."
Tim
You're too kind.
The car still needs a lot of work to be roadworthy in time for the meet. Fuel pump and lines. Programming/tuning. (Not to mention tires.)
I added a couple more photos to the gallery page late tonight to show more recent progress.
Here are two snapshots that didn't fit. Engine wiring is in place, but requires more detailing (conduit, etc.)
LeftHandSide-May16-2013.jpg
RightHandSide-May16-2013.jpg
That is a piece of art....its beautiful.
Looking good, Curtis!
Tires? Seems like you just bought those Falken Azenis. How many miles are really on them, or are you just looking for something even stickier?
That's some real nice work.
Tim
wow tha tlooks sooo good
That is way to cool looking Curtis......What lbs injecters?? and what MM size is the throtle body opening. Those injectors look like my ls1 injectors. Even the sensors look GM , TPS, ICS...??
Calvin
I reckon I've only got about 20,000 miles on the tires, but they're smack worn out. A track day when they were new killed a lot of tread. I bought them shortly before BritishV8 2008 (Wisconsin), so by that measure they've done alright. Not sure what tires to buy next.
MAP, IAT, TPS, etc. are GM. I believe the throttle body is Chevy 4.3L V6. Its bore is 72mm, but there's a diffuser on the butterfly so functionally it's smaller. I'm told that Chevy used the same throttle body on a couple different engines, with various sizes of diffuser.
Injectors are Lucas. They came with the lower manifold and fuel rail from a Rover 3.9L. They've been cleaned and tested, and according to the report that came back with them each one flowed 58cc/min (22.10#/hr).
I spent today at my mother-in-law's, but hope to turn some wrenches tomorrow night. I'm keen to make some progress on a fuel tank solution.
Very impressive and super clean looking conversion; did you do it mostly yourself?
I really like your lightweight polycarbonate rear quarter windows.
What is the material that you used for your fuse and relay panel cover? That looks Great. Did you send the product through your standard printer and cut it out or have a special machine build that cover for your application?
What size pistons do you have in the front calipers? It would appear that you have more caliper than the stock master cylinder could handle unless you have changed something i am not thinking of.
Thanks,
-BMC.
The fuse block label is just laminated cardstock. I printed the cardstock on my laser printer. After laminating, I cut it out with an X-acto knife. Applied spray adhesive to the back side. It'll be easy to change down the road if I add a relay or...
I don't recall the piston size offhand, but the front brake kit is Classic Conversions part number CC-115. At the meet last week, Graham Creswick and I drove each others cars. We've both recently installed that same kit. Graham has a larger (1" bore) master cylinder, OEM-style (Ford) proportioning valve, modified pedal ratio, and discs at the rear. Most apparent result: firmer brake pedal. However, both cars stop. Yes, I'd rather have Graham's brakes - but I can't complain about how mine served through Monday's track day.
QuoteI don't recall the piston size offhand....
My notes indicate they are twin pot 1.75" dia.
Curtis, Your fuel injection setup looks great! Have you thought about updating your valve covers? OBrian Truckers has no name 215 valve covers.
http://www.obrientruckers.com/ecom/product/241/2379/
Thanks, Jim. Those O'Brien covers appear to be a nice alternative to Offenhauser covers... but I feel my old steel covers look better with each passing year. I like that their styling is distinctly "Buick" (and without actually having the word Buick on them either!)
I see that O'Brien makes all sorts of 1950s-style club plaques. We saw hundreds of those at the Speedway Motors museum last week. It got me wondering if, perhaps, we should commission a run of "BritishV8" plaques. They might look really good on man-cave walls!
Curtis, I ran the stock valve covers for years on early V6's and 215's and think they look fine. Mine were silver/aluminum though. Keep us posted on the progress. You might even convert an old carb guy like me!
WOW, you nailed it. Very clean and OEM looking........
Very nice Curtis, sharp looking engine. Well done!!!
Are you saying you are going to do a write up on the brakes.
Quote:
I don't recall the piston size offhand....
My notes indicate they are twin pot 1.75" dia.
Correction 4 piston dynalite caliper.
I use a 6 piston caliper, just because :-)
Picture013.jpg
I really like the way Curtis' engine compartment looks with the black OEM valve covers and his custom plenum. Very clean and clearly performance oriented. I drove his car around Omaha and I must say the performance is excellent. He still has a little more he will be able to wring out of the new EFI system but was very close at that point and there was nothing objectionable in the engine's operation. Very well done Curtis!
I must concur, I went for a ride with Curtis in Palestine and was completely impressed, and that was before the injection.
Paul
Driving Curtis's car in Palestine was the second GT that I've driven. I liked the GT enough in just driving two of them to want one for Brenda and I. I told Curtis that if Brenda drove his car she would want a GT. Curtis's car feels light and you can tell when you drive it. It has driven me to a new illness. The first GT I drove was Robert Milner's when I bought his Miata seats from him.
What I would like to see someday is for Curtis to win the lottery, then watch him build himself a GT with his thought process without money cap.
IMHO, the "340" oem valve cover looks quite good, clears Volvo adjustable rockers, and is rare enough to be insider-cool. 2 cents, roverman.
[IMHO, the "340" oem valve cover looks quite good, clears Volvo adjustable rockers, and is rare enough to be insider-cool. 2 cents, roverman.]
Art, can you explain more about Volvo rockers on aa Rover/Buick? An inquiring mind wants to know!
Phil
Phil and clan, easiest to use "search" feature, should be under Volvo rockers for RV8's,(should also work on BUV6's). Cheers, roverman.
Hey All:
Curtis very kindly allowed me to take his GT ON THE TRACK @ MAM during the recent Omaha meet. (Well, as long as he could ride along... :-) )
First off, VERY strong and smooth! WE were going all the way to 6500 (well, according to his tach at least). Power seemed endless. We had one moment where we coughed out a big cloud of black (was actually worried it was oil!) and Carl Floyd was trailing us and can make his own report. Otherwise, I thought the engine was superb.
The Tires-- new Direzza Dunlops-- were pretty good as well. The handling started going away (lots of understeer) near the end of the session, but Curtis confessed afterwards that he'd left his panhard off! (So, that explains a good bit of the "push"....)
The brakes were good until I overcooked them into turn one... then they took a few laps to come back.
We managed a 2:02 in the car, which was like 4th fastest. (And the top two were Corvette powered TR6a!)
I think he's built a VERY nice track day car and I'd love to see what it could do with the Panhard connected! :-)
M