BritishV8 Forum

General Category => The BritishV8 Pub => Topic started by: burner1 on February 25, 2013, 05:19:29 PM

Title: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on February 25, 2013, 05:19:29 PM
Need somehting to read. What is ONE (only one) special thing you have done to your car, different generally not like how anyone else has done it. Somehting that has not gotten a lot of credit.
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: Jim Stabe on February 25, 2013, 05:30:23 PM
The one thing I'm happiest with is how the 11" wider than stock windshield turned out.
Ontheground045.jpg
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on February 25, 2013, 06:02:51 PM
Jim I have followed you build and love that. If I ever do another MG it would have to be a widder platform. What a stance that car will have!
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: Jim Stabe on February 25, 2013, 06:12:27 PM
Gary

It never looks as low in the pictures I take as it does standing beside the car. I keep measuring the ground clearance and it is still 5 1/2" at the lower edge of the front spoiler (that's the lowest point on the car) but it looks lower. On the rare occasions when I see a stock chrome bumper car on the road it always looks too narrow.
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on February 25, 2013, 06:14:09 PM
How long before you get the body panels in the center tied together?
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: Jim Stabe on February 25, 2013, 06:30:06 PM
I'm not going to do the hood that way now. If you look at the last entry in part 3 of the journal you can see the frame for the hood and I am going to make the skin out of a single sheet of aluminum. I have a 5' x 5' sheet up against the wall to make it out of.
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on February 25, 2013, 06:44:53 PM
I have actually done that once:

http://www.rc-tech.net/pantera1/hood/hood.htm
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: MGBV8 on February 25, 2013, 08:30:44 PM
Yep, that windshield is very impressive.  I remember asking "What are you going to do for a windshield?"
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on February 25, 2013, 08:43:30 PM
It looks like from your picture you could invision a nice splitter below the bumper with a nice flow.
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: Jim Stabe on February 25, 2013, 09:14:55 PM
Gary

That tube is the edge of the splitter/spoiler.It won't be really pronounced, probably just a 1/2" radius on the sheetmetal where it meets it at back upper corner of the tube. I didn't make the association with your name and the Pantera. I looked at your hood a long time ago and that has been somewhat of an inspitation for what I'm doing with mine.

Carl

I asked myself the same question for a long time
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: DC Townsend on February 26, 2013, 06:20:37 PM
For me it would be the valance and splitter (my speedster doors would be a close second). It looked simple but, in the end, the only thing that was original to the glass part I started with were the two ends. It's been widened 10" to accommodate the increased width of Dave Craddock's front wings and the whole oil cooler driving lamp area has been reconfigured to resemble the LeMans cars. Then there's the splitter itself, the tin work, etc.

I guess the greatest compliment anyone can be paid on this type of stuff is that everyone thought it looked like it belonged there. This is a shot from way back, before the car was painted.
MGB_front_low.jpg
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on February 26, 2013, 07:57:13 PM
Do you have a shot of that after painted?
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: DC Townsend on February 26, 2013, 09:04:46 PM
"Do you have a shot of that after painted?"

Sadly, not with the splitter attached as it was taken off for paint and I haven't reinstalled it yet. But here are two shots after paint. The scoops for the brake vents were (as Jim, I think, will attest with all of his amazing metal work) two of the harder parts to beat as they involve both a curve and a 90º bend. Seems simple until you need to make a matched pair. It gave me a whole new appreciation for those both past and present who are able to shape metal.

The lights are bit askew as one of the things on my "to do" list is to tighten up the mounts.
MGB-beauty-left-front-low.jpg
MGB-front-detail.jpg
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: v869tr6 on February 27, 2013, 07:22:06 AM
I added 14" to the wheelbase on my TR6, stretched the doors 8" and moved the rear wheel opening 6".
(http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z76/v869tr6/belinberg020.jpg)
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on February 27, 2013, 10:00:42 AM
Ed That's cool!
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on February 27, 2013, 10:02:20 AM
Dave your car remins me of the gulf cars or Gulf Scheme.

I am working wth a company to make the front splitter and rear diffuser for the Mini's BTW.
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: Jim Stabe on February 27, 2013, 10:18:47 AM
Ed

That thing is a beast! Body is nicely done so that it doesn't look stretched. Here is a link to the article on the car  http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/EdOlson.htm
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: DC Townsend on February 27, 2013, 11:22:13 AM
Gary,

The faux Gulf paint schème was a complete accident. I used a number of early MGB race cars (both factory and privateer) as inspiration including the LeMans cars where the valance was, in many instances, painted orange as well as the early works cars which were largely painted a light blue. The rest is sort of like the old commercial for Reeses' where the peanut butter runs into the chocolate. In this case it was LeMans valance color meets early works car color.

It's easy to change the color if I grow tired of the look as, like the race cars, I painted the valance on the car. If I want something new, it's just mask and shoot.


DT
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on February 27, 2013, 11:48:55 AM
It works for the car.
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: RMO 699F on February 27, 2013, 01:45:28 PM
Ed, really like the way you modified the hood, the way you orchestrated the hood shapes to fit the ancillaries is remarkable!
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: bsa_m21 on February 27, 2013, 07:05:44 PM
Shovelled my driveway this morning!!

Looking at the front walkway!
IMG-20130227-00005-2048.jpg

Oooh, my back!

M.
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: tbo on February 27, 2013, 09:52:54 PM
Its the most original hood treatment I've ever seen.Form follows function perfectly Doesn't even look like it's stretched either. Superb car Tim
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: v869tr6 on February 28, 2013, 07:40:49 PM
Thanks for the nice comments, like all the cars on this site its the power to weight that makes them fun. It's crazy the extent  people go to slicing and dicing up LBC's. LOL
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: jdevries on March 03, 2013, 12:28:55 PM
Ed, I like that you wern't afraid to do what you wanted to the car. It's hard to tell you stretched it that far. I agree with Tim about the hood. One of a kind packaging job.
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: billymgb1000 on March 24, 2013, 02:50:14 PM
I put a ls1 smc but I have it carburated instead of efi I love it
100_1370.JPG
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on March 25, 2013, 09:33:04 AM
Bill just curious, have you thought of mounting the MSD on the shelf instead of the engine? I know the engine vibration can lead to failures.

Gary
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: ex-tyke on March 25, 2013, 09:43:12 AM
It appears that the box has rubber isolator mounts - that should help!
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on March 25, 2013, 09:45:15 AM
It should but I know some one who tried it and went through several boxes before moving it off the engine. Just a thought.
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: RMO 699F on March 25, 2013, 11:57:30 AM
I know the MSD 6AL does not like vibration...(don't ask how I know) the shelf or firewall is  best...
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: billymgb1000 on March 25, 2013, 08:04:36 PM
I did not know about problems with the box yes it does have rubber isolaters and I thougt leaving it on the pad made for it would be best but now I wonder. I will look into this for sure thanks guys will post when I figure it out
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: burner1 on March 25, 2013, 10:09:15 PM
Still like the engine set up for sure!
Title: Re: Special Thing you have done
Post by: dz8190 on March 28, 2013, 02:28:48 PM
What kind'a drugs are you guys on......  WOW