BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: WedgeWorks1 on January 03, 2013, 04:31:20 PM

Title: 1974 MGB-GT V8 (reunited)
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 03, 2013, 04:31:20 PM
I gave up on the possibility of getting back my first British car a 1969 MGB-GT. I did however decide to hunt down and purchase back a unique 1974 MGB-GT I bought in 1994 a few years after selling my 69. I found pictures I had in an album of what happened from 1981 up to now. I bought the car as a non-runner but with a few minutes, can of gas and two kids monkeying around had it running flawlessly! I stripped the car down to a roller. I had a gentleman from England do new rockers, lower quarters and floors. That was in 1998. I then sold the project to a friend. I managed to after a few emails persuade him to sell it back to me. Now the fun part is the fact I lost the title and never passed it on. Im sure I can do some digging and get it taken care of. So the question is stock or Rover V8???
1981
(http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af242/wedgeworks/1974%20Aconite%20MGB-GT/th_AconiteMGB-GTPics1_zps68a92236.jpg) (http://s1012.beta.photobucket.com/user/wedgeworks/media/1974%20Aconite%20MGB-GT/AconiteMGB-GTPics1_zps68a92236.jpg.html)
A change to Green
(http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af242/wedgeworks/1974%20Aconite%20MGB-GT/th_AconiteMGB-GTPics2_zpsf789104f.jpg) (http://s1012.beta.photobucket.com/user/wedgeworks/media/1974%20Aconite%20MGB-GT/AconiteMGB-GTPics2_zpsf789104f.jpg.html)
1988
(http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af242/wedgeworks/1974%20Aconite%20MGB-GT/th_AconiteMGB-GTPics8_zps08aa7dab.jpg) (http://s1012.beta.photobucket.com/user/wedgeworks/media/1974%20Aconite%20MGB-GT/AconiteMGB-GTPics8_zps08aa7dab.jpg.html)
1994
(http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af242/wedgeworks/1974%20Aconite%20MGB-GT/th_AconiteMGB-GTPics5_zps77d3b022.jpg) (http://s1012.beta.photobucket.com/user/wedgeworks/media/1974%20Aconite%20MGB-GT/AconiteMGB-GTPics5_zps77d3b022.jpg.html)
PURPLE! aka Aconite!
(http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af242/wedgeworks/1974%20Aconite%20MGB-GT/th_AconiteMGB-GTPics6_zpsa020450d.jpg) (http://s1012.beta.photobucket.com/user/wedgeworks/media/1974%20Aconite%20MGB-GT/AconiteMGB-GTPics6_zpsa020450d.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: Moderator on January 03, 2013, 05:02:05 PM
Definitely stock! You'll ruin the car's balance if you even take off those big rubber bumper guards.

;o)
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: roverman on January 03, 2013, 05:12:12 PM
Mike, Your asking that question, in "this" forum ? Definately stock, including MG car-becue/Lucas Hz. It could be a smokin-hot classic/lol. roverman.
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 03, 2013, 05:56:02 PM
Does any one leave those big black "tits" oh I meant tips on their 74 Bs?
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: Robert J on January 03, 2013, 07:59:04 PM
The question here really is which V8 to plant in it.  I am building a stroker 302 MGB, but oh the sound of those Rover V8's is such sweet music...
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: jimbb88 on January 03, 2013, 09:05:28 PM
4.0 Rover with fuel injection. You find the motor, I think I have a complete FI setup extra including computer and wiring harness- early 90's hot wire system as I had on my 1966 roadster.
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 03, 2013, 09:29:42 PM
I may have a 1970 rover 3500s engine included in the package!
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on January 04, 2013, 09:33:52 AM
Oh, I think it would be very nice with a 1980 MGB engine. ;-) Just relax and enjoy the trip down memory lane!

Jim

(or a stroked 300/350 Buick would be nice...)
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 04, 2013, 12:01:56 PM
Well its going to be a 3.5 with the LT77 since I have mass quantities all over the garage.
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: bsa_m21 on January 04, 2013, 12:24:07 PM
Mike,

So if you are now starting work on a B-GT, what happened to your TR7V8 Targa project?

M.
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 04, 2013, 03:43:11 PM
Im still doing the TR8. I just cant turn down this project. Im also getting a garage built (26'x30') to keep the TR8, MGB-GT and a 57 Thunderbird in.
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: MGBV8 on January 04, 2013, 04:44:11 PM
QuoteIm also getting a garage built (26'x30')

You're gonna wish it was bigger.  Be sure & check out garagejournal.com

The 3.5 is a great choice!
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 04, 2013, 08:35:49 PM
I already have a 24'x24' garage attached to the house. So one of the cars can hangout with the wife's minivan! Lets see.....not the TR8.....or the MG.......sorry T-Bird!
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: roverman on January 07, 2013, 12:43:21 PM
Mike, By all means, keep those big protective, rubber thingies. They help insure "high polar moments", (not mating of polar bears), when you take the MG for a "spin"/lol.  Cheers for the new year, roverman.
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 07, 2013, 09:13:16 PM
Ok so I ordered the 1977-1980 radiator support panels, brackets and mesh fans cover. Can I modify the shelf area where the stock oil cooler goes so the radiator can be moved forward? I'm going to use block hugger headers so the stock rack needs some adjusting? Inner fenders need recesses for the headers and the corners of the firewall notched for the cylinder heads. Transmission tunnel a hump added for the LT77 gear box. Very important for stock V8 location what are the best mounts? D&D, TSI or Towery?
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: rficalora on January 07, 2013, 11:45:05 PM
Modify the oil cooler shelf - yes.

Parts ordered - why the mesh fans cover?  Sure it'll fit over whatever fan(s) you'll be using?  Puller fan is more effective than pusher.

Can't help on the mounts
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on January 08, 2013, 08:12:46 AM
I like the mounts that attach to the front accessory bosses on the heads the best. Good isolation and no rocking at all. Easy to make too, in 3/16" stainless. McMasterCarr carries the cushions.

Jim
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 08, 2013, 10:40:15 AM
Im trying to keep things simple and as close to what MG did.
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on January 08, 2013, 11:59:31 AM
Commendable but steering clearance and access to the bolts can be a problem, as well as getting an adequately hard and durable mount cushion.

Jim
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 08, 2013, 12:24:24 PM
And this is why we have this lovely forum. Its with absolute kindness things are brought up in conversation. I do have an old......yes.....VHS tape of Mr. Towery doing a conversion using a grinder for the rack, dropping the hole down in the firewall, notching the firewall and hammering the pooo out of the tranny tunnel! I think this was back in 1991-ish?
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: TeamEvil on January 12, 2013, 07:17:21 PM
"I do have an old......yes.....VHS tape of Mr. Towery doing a conversion"

As do I . . .
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 12, 2013, 09:50:58 PM
TC-you remember the green mgb gt?
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: TeamEvil on January 13, 2013, 12:44:17 PM
Is that the one that you brought me over to maybe Marshfield to look at or the one that one of the crazy Brits worked on over Billy's barn or are they one and the same? He made GREAT tea as I recall and did even better body work.
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: WedgeWorks1 on January 14, 2013, 09:34:17 AM
That is the car! Those were the days. It was in Brynt Rock Marshfield a stones throw from the ocean! I surprised it did not turn into 4 tires and a dash board after being there that long.
Title: Re: Reunion
Post by: TeamEvil on January 15, 2013, 01:24:36 PM
" . . . surprised it did not turn into 4 tires and a dash board after being there that long."

You mean like my "new" MGA project ! ? ! ? !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/TeamEvil/r16.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/TeamEvil/r3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/TeamEvil/r18.jpg


Those WERE some fun times, weren't they ? Every once and again I still have a day or three to rival those times, but only once and again.