BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: Mr. T on November 03, 2007, 11:54:39 AM

Title: Rollbar
Post by: Mr. T on November 03, 2007, 11:54:39 AM
Besides Evan Amaya, has anyone else modified a miata rollbar for use in an mgb?
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: rficalora on November 08, 2007, 10:49:22 PM
i haven't but plan to.  either that or make one that looks similar
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: MGBV8 on November 08, 2007, 11:37:40 PM
Here's a new show bar from Moss:

(http://www.mossmotors.com/Graphics/Products/Large/459-022_1.jpg)
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Mr. T on November 12, 2007, 06:03:05 PM
Not to shabby Carl, have to make-up a windblocker (I like to ride with heat on, jacket, hat, top down and extend the season for as long as I can bear it)  and thought it might be can kinda cool to add integral brake lights.  I like the double hoop bars as the straight bars cut into the rear view mirror view.
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: MGB SS on November 12, 2007, 09:45:52 PM
Carl

Have you seen a price on those yet, I believe they are built by a company called Boss Frog, anyway I have seen those before but not  a price, they are supposed to be SCCA compliant.

Joe
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: MGBV8 on November 13, 2007, 05:55:15 PM
Joe,

$485+85 for S&H.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=64703&SortOrder=1

"SCCA compliant"   I wouldn't count on it. "These bars have been designed to meet SCCA guidelines based on destructive testing"  I don't think that means they meet the SCCA rulebook. Sounds like a version of Clintonese.  ;)
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: MGB SS on November 13, 2007, 08:04:11 PM
Carl

Just repeating the Manufactures claim  "bossfrog.biz"  

It always seems dangerous to me when the roll bar is lower than the drivers head, but most are.

Joe
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: rficalora on November 13, 2007, 09:59:11 PM
I'm no expert, but did you notice the link to the write up on the test...  sure looks like they were doing a serious test...
BossFrog.jpg
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on November 13, 2007, 10:29:03 PM
Assuming no funny business with the mounts like thicker metal, better reinforcement, etc that would seem to only leave the height requirement. I would guess that the lateral cross brace requirement would have been overcome by the test results.

Jim
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: MGBV8 on November 14, 2007, 07:19:23 AM
What about the "one continuous length of tubing must be used for the hoop member"?
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Mr. T on November 14, 2007, 06:10:27 PM
I'm only 5'7" but, it looks like I will have to shave my head too.
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Bill Young on November 15, 2007, 01:55:33 PM
Looks like except for height, which of course varies with the seat and driver height they pass the SCCA solo rules. For drivers over about 5'10" tall it's almost impossible to fit a bar that will give the 2" over head clearance and still clear the folding top. The Boss Frog home site http://www.bossfrog.biz/index.html has a lot more of the technical information.
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: rficalora on November 15, 2007, 04:59:45 PM
You guys got me curious so i emailed them & asked about whether they have any customers who've had it succefully pass an SCCA event tech review.  Answer was no, not yet.  They didn't indicate whether anyone has even tried.   Just reitterated that it passed the destructive test.  So, it's probably a safer roll bar than most being sold which appear more for decoration, but no telling whether it'd actually make it past an SCCA tech.
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Mr. T on November 26, 2007, 06:30:37 PM
Alright guys - this is at the top of my MG christmas list for this year.  I'll install some sort of 3rd/4th brake light internally so MG logo lights up - will add an additional margin of safety and look pretty cool at night!  If anyone is contemplating purchasing, you'll be able to take a look 2008 Meet.
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Solarman on December 18, 2007, 08:14:39 PM
Not me but I took some ideas and married them with others and as well have a removable barrier for wind on colder days or hwy KM so you can talk to your co pilot
Cage.jpg
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Dave on December 19, 2007, 05:36:06 AM
Is that muffler pipe?
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Solarman on December 19, 2007, 03:45:16 PM
Yes it is. 1-3/4 pipe with 1-1/8 pipe inside.
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Richl705 on April 21, 2008, 10:34:42 PM
Has anyone looked at putting a rollbar on an MGA?  I am working one and would like to but the placement of the convertible storage seems to be problematic.  I was thinking of the style shown by Carl Floyd to get around this problem but just don't know.  Has anyone tried?  Thanks
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Bill Young on April 22, 2008, 11:05:29 AM
Richard, I've looked at various roll bar installations in the MGA and there's almost no way to keep the top folding and add a bar because of limited clearance between the seat back and the rear deck. One solution is shown in this MGA from Australia where the rear deck has been trimmed back to allow a bit more clearance. Folding the top would still not work as originally designed, but if the top bows could be modified to make them removable such as in the early B and Midget then it might work ok. The other method would be to mount a removable bar through the rear deck, but that would require it to be removed and stored in order to use the top.
IMGP1438.JPG
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: MGBV8 on April 22, 2008, 11:40:03 AM
The rollbars I have seen on MGAs were done Cobra style, thru the rear deck. No chance of using the stock top.
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: TR6-6SPD on April 26, 2008, 10:56:14 AM
Hello fellow forum members. This is my first posting and I thought I could add something to this thread as I'm presently working on a roll bar for my TR6. It's not for an MGB or MGA but it is custom and may draw some curiosity. It won't be SCCA compliant but it is made from 1.75" 120 wall DOM tubing. I compomised with no lateral cross brace to keep easy access to what storage area is left. The gray primer is getting painted this weekend.
IMG_8297-3.jpg
IMG_8289-3.jpg
IMG_8330-3.jpg
IMG_8329-3.jpg
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Bill Young on April 28, 2008, 03:56:33 PM
Ken, it looks pretty good, but of course you realize that you made some sacrifices in strength in order to keep some utility and mount the seat belts. I don't know how well it would work, hope you never have to find out, but it has to be better than nothing at all.
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: steve64b on May 12, 2008, 04:30:04 PM
Tony,

Here's an alternate idea from the UK. Looks well made and engineered. Not race legal, but better than nothing.

http://www.classicrollbars.co.uk/prod.html

Steve
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Mr. T on May 13, 2008, 09:19:33 PM
Hey Steve,

Thanks for the link.  Nice looking bar - and the chrome is schweet.  Emailed him concerning weight.  I was real close to purchasing the Bull Frog bar but, so far the weight of 80 to 100 lbs. was a deal killer.  I' m going to check some out at BV8 meet and see what shakes out - there's always the annual Christmas list!

Regards, Tony
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Wildtr6 on January 21, 2010, 12:06:57 PM
What is a good roll bar to use that is functional and allows the top to move up and down?
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Bruce Mills on January 21, 2010, 05:03:57 PM
I rolled my 74.5 MGB back in 92.
Granted it was a soft roll over but this bar help up just fine.
Banged up a rear 1/4 panel, trunk lid, front fender, bonnet, windscreen of course and drivers door panel.
1 cut small on my head

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=79286

FYIW
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: pcmenten on January 21, 2010, 07:02:46 PM
Jumpin Jebus, Bruce! $500? Yeouch!

Is that a four-point rollbar? I'd make my own for that price.
Title: Re: Rollbar
Post by: Mr. T on January 24, 2010, 12:29:04 PM
That's a 360 day "special pricing" from Moss.

The double hoop roll bars are certainly attractive.