BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: coolmg on June 22, 2008, 08:08:08 AM

Title: side or lake pipes
Post by: coolmg on June 22, 2008, 08:08:08 AM
Does anyone know of a good looking and good working set of side pipes to fit a 1980 B with a 215?
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: rficalora on June 22, 2008, 10:15:26 AM
Take a look at Mike Cook's "Silver Lady"... http://www.britishv8.org/MG/MikeCook.htm.  For good looking, functional side pipes that one would be hard to beat.  And as a bonus, his car was a 1980 & has a rover 4.0 so should be very applicable to what you'd need.  His car is full of other great ideas so be careful... one look & you'll have a 'I gotta do that too' list thats longer than you're ready for!
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: Bill Young on June 22, 2008, 10:30:33 AM
Mark, think long and hard about running side pipes. They are a pain in the butt, you always have to be on guard to keep people form touching them when they're hot. Kids are the worst, see the car parked and want to take a close look. I had Zoomies on a street rod once, had to wait until the headers cooled each time I parked the car before I felt safe to leave it. Even with a heat guard they get pretty warm. Something to think about before you take the plunge.
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: MGB SS on June 23, 2008, 11:20:43 PM
Mark

I am partial to this set:)  none of the issues that Bill speaks of and you can make them sound anyway you want.

http://www.britishv8.org/MG/JoeSchafer.htm

Joe
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: Dan B on June 24, 2008, 02:44:06 PM
Reminds me of when Smooth asked why they were called lake pipes, and we told him they were filled with Lake Water, to get more POWER!
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on June 24, 2008, 08:00:46 PM
The really amazing thing is that he believed it.

Jim

My pipes are enclosed but the ends are still hot enough to give a bad burn, over 300 degrees F I'd guess.
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: Dan B on June 25, 2008, 08:49:11 AM
Do you ever have any problems with the lake water leaking out....?
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on June 25, 2008, 09:18:05 AM
Not so far, but then I've never checked it.

Jim
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: MGB SS on June 25, 2008, 09:24:52 PM
You would think with 600 degree exhaust temps that evaporation would be a problem
;)

Joe
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: RockyMountainMGB on June 26, 2008, 11:40:15 AM
I'm new to auto mechanics...

If I wanted to add side pipes to my stock set up what I have to change?

I guess better yet...how does the process of adding side pipes work?

Mark
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: Dan B on June 26, 2008, 02:09:27 PM
First you have to decide what lake you want to get your water from....
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on June 26, 2008, 04:37:31 PM
>You would think with 600 degree exhaust temps that evaporation would be a problem ;)

It'd probably be best to use water from a dry lake, since that's where they do the speed record runs and it's obviously high temperature water so it wouldn't evaporate out so fast.

Mark, probably the first thing to consider is ground clearance. Joe would know more about that. Next is the routing of your pipes from your headers to your side pipes, there will be some custom bends involved. Finally you'll need some method to support the pipes, and a heat shield of some type will be a really good idea.

Now the downsides. They will be loud. Might as well forget about listening to the stereo. Your car will be quieter with the top up and windows closed than any other way. (wait a minute, isn't any roadster like that? no matter..) The exhaust will blow into the car. Doesn't matter if the wind is coming from the right or left. You'll burn your leg, count on it. At least once, probably more. They will very likely make it hot in the cockpit. Heat will come in through the door, and all the cracks and crevices around it, as well as rising beside the car.

But other than that it'll look really cool and sound mean, what else matters right? Plus there's no need to spend money on tunes since you can't listen to them anyway.

Jim
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: MGB SS on June 26, 2008, 07:09:24 PM
Mark

There are a lot of things to consider many of them mentioned above by Jim.  As low as our cars sit you would have to bring the exhaust through the fender for standard type side pipes.  If you don't the pipes will be hanging down at least 2.5 " below the rocker (size of the exhaust)  My pipes are not store bought but made custom by me as Jim's are built by himself custom.  Some people put show pipes on and never run the exhaust through them, to each there own.  Mufflers are very limited in side pipes as they have to fit inside the 3" 3.5" or 4" pipe unless you get creative, The Dodge Viper actually runs a complete exhaust under the car then comes back forward to run the exhaust through the side pipe. Itsa good thing they look cool or they would not be worth the trouble.

Joe
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: jbarila on June 27, 2008, 09:10:22 AM
Has anyone used the Patriot side pipes?
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: RockyMountainMGB on June 27, 2008, 09:57:44 AM
Jim...that's awesome.  I couldn't stop grinning while reading your post.
I think you've talked me out of them for now.

Joe...great advice too.  Plus, who wants a POS Viper when you can have an MG?

Mark
Title: Re: side or lake pipes
Post by: 3.5mgb on June 28, 2008, 12:05:01 AM
Well not yet, but I did buy a set. I suspect they will be loud. But I also suspect they will be quieter than no exhaust at all. They should get me running, and they'll be out of the way for playing around with the rear suspension. I don't expect them to be to low as I'm not planning on putting them under the car, or below the car or however you want to phrase it.

If they are to loud to drive with then I can add a pair of small flowmasters between the headers and the side pipes. And if it sounds like a ricer well then at least I know my car will go when I hit the gas ;-)

bill