BritishV8 Forum

General Category => MG Sports Cars => Topic started by: pspeaks on November 16, 2012, 11:51:58 PM

Title: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: pspeaks on November 16, 2012, 11:51:58 PM
I'm on the verge of ordering a new gas tank for my GT from Moss, but before I do, I thought I'd get your opinion.  Is the quality there and will the range be a significant problem?  I have the ability and equipment to build a custom tank but I'm not sure with the amount of room I have in the original location it will be worth the amount of fabrication or I'll gain that much capacity.  What do you guys think?



Paul
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: britcars on November 17, 2012, 05:38:03 AM
I bought one about six weeks ago from Little British Car Co. for $157.00 plus shipping.  Jeff Zorn is a great guy to deal with. Appears to be very good quality, made in Canada by Spectra. The sheet with the tank said that it didn't require paint and appears to be galvanized or zinc coated.  I did degrease and paint mine though.
http://www.lbcarco.com/
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: Moderator on November 17, 2012, 07:56:18 AM
Moss offers tanks from two different manufacturers. You can read about the differences between them halfway down in this article: <a href="http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/EFI-Fuel-Tank-Mods.htm">steel MGB fuel tanks</a>.   With a capacity of about 12.5 gallons, you'll likely have a cruising range of about 300 miles depending on your fuel efficiency. (In Palestine Texas my fuel efficiency was much less than normal, especially on the autocross day!) Some one gallon fuel cans will fit in a chrome bumper MGB's spare battery box, for a little reserve capacity. If you'd like more range, this is the easiest solution: <a href="http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Aluminum-EFI-Ready-MGB-Fuel-Tank.htm">aluminum 18 gallon MGB fuel tanks</a>.
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: MGBV8 on November 17, 2012, 09:03:33 AM
QuoteIn Palestine Texas my fuel efficiency was much less than normal...

Yes, it was!   ;)
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: kstevusa on November 17, 2012, 09:10:07 AM
Wow, i just thought the miles in Texas were LONGER than rest of US. :)
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: ex-tyke on November 17, 2012, 10:51:29 AM
I installed one of the Spectra tanks last Winter and I can say that the tank size is an exact duplicate of the original (10 Imp, 12 US). Some ads I've seen would lead one to believe it is 12 Imp (14.5 US)  which is not correct.
  There are no internal baffles, as original, and Spectra have discontinued selling the correct '75-'76 tank with the separate side fuel supply fitting and with the straight vertical filler neck. If you have a car from one of these years, you'll end up buying an pre '75 tank (with the angled fill neck) and using the correct year hose and metal fill pipe arrangement. In my case, since I had centred the fuel tank for dual exhaust, I ended up reworking the fill pipe to match the original.
I've also had one issue with a slight fuel leakage at the side soldered supply fitting - corrected by gas tank repair putty.
Overall, a well made tank for the money.
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: MGBV8 on November 17, 2012, 05:48:18 PM
No baffles?!  Now you've opened up a can o' worms.
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: MGBV8 on November 17, 2012, 06:01:08 PM
QuoteMidget and MGB galvanised fuel tanks

Price: £175-£225

Galvanised fuel tanks are now available from British Motor Heritage dealers for MGBs and Midgets, as well as other British classics. The new tanks are made to the original specification (including baffles where appropriate) on the original press tools, jigs and roller welder. It is the recent major refurbishment of the latter – the machine that creates the all-important seal for the main body of the tank – that has allowed BMH to make the milestone move from unplated steel to the infinitely more corrosion-resistant galvanised stock for these replacement items. BMH also manufactures a competition fuel tank for the MGB that is both baffled and foam filled. For details of all BMH products and dealers, log on to www.bmh-ltd.com. Information on the company's Motoring Classics retail range of car parts, accessories, personal items can be found at www.motoringclassics.co.uk

http://www.mgenthusiast.com/mg-news/news-archive/643-midget-and-mgb-galvanised-fuel-tanks
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: kstevusa on November 17, 2012, 06:04:40 PM
:)             That is really BAFFLING !   Later models seem to have none from the Factory.    Maybe Dot 4 fluid removes paint, but Dot 5 doesn't???   But the Racks can have either Grease or 90W gear lube.  STRANGE???
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: MGBV8 on November 17, 2012, 07:00:14 PM
I want baffles!  :)
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: pspeaks on November 18, 2012, 07:20:39 AM
I've never removed a tank, is the roadster and GT the same?  Do I just have to drill new bolt holes in the spare well and deal with the filler and fuel line to center it?  Oh, I've been driving MG's for almost 45 years so I've had to walk on occasion thanks to the little darlings.  I don't know if the miles are longer in Texas, but it sure seems that way :-)

Thanks for all the info guys!!

Paul
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: ex-tyke on November 18, 2012, 09:27:56 AM
Quoteis the roadster and GT the same?
Yes! ...and with some tank variation between years (fill necks, supply lines, vent fittings).

QuoteDo I just have to drill new bolt holes in the spare well and deal with the filler and fuel line to center it?
In simplistic terms, yes! Typical shift is 3" to the left.and also requires some metal finishing on the trunk floor.
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: pspeaks on November 23, 2012, 12:30:26 PM
I don't have a trunk but I assume I will still have to modify the floor, what do I have to do to the floor?


Paul
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: ex-tyke on November 23, 2012, 03:42:43 PM
The fill neck also moves 3" to the left necessitating a matching hole in the floor - the old hole will need to be patched and metal finished.

EDIT: Added photo
fillerneckrelocate.jpg
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: pspeaks on November 23, 2012, 10:46:45 PM
Thanks Graham, I had planned on that but thought there might be something else.


Paul
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: ex-tyke on November 24, 2012, 09:04:27 AM
You may have noticed In the photo on my last post, that you can see the old and new mounting hardware in a couple of locations (3" shift).
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: pspeaks on November 24, 2012, 11:11:31 AM
Yes, the picture is a great help and with your help I think I have it figured out now, thanks!  My T-Bucket friends are trying to talk me into manufacturing a stainless tank with more capacity as we did for a couple of very thirsty buckets but they are all my age, retired, and tend to work for about ten minutes starting about noon then smoke cigars and drink Basil Hayden the rest of the day.  I figure they would get done by next Christmas!!!


Paul
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on November 26, 2012, 08:17:36 AM
Wouldn't aluminum be easier?

Jim
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: pspeaks on November 26, 2012, 01:33:26 PM
It would, and mine would be aluminum, but we did one for a customer out of stainless so that's their mind set.  Aluminum wouldn't be as heavy either.



Paul
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on November 26, 2012, 02:39:31 PM
I found some railing end caps that work great for merging two curved bends. Don't know how big they make them but I will probably make a gas tank for my car and try to use those for the bottom four corners if I do. I know they are available, I just don't remember where I bought them.

Jim
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: Moderator on November 27, 2012, 10:34:11 AM
If someone needs a new Moss gas tank, now might be a good time to buy it:

<a href="http://www.mossmotors.com?utm_source=BritishV8&utm_medium=ReferralAd&utm_campaign=BF1211">(http://www.britishv8.org/Sponsors/Moss-Motors-Sale-6.jpg)</a>
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank, or ?
Post by: roverman on November 27, 2012, 11:10:45 AM
FWIW, The Jensen Healey, roadster gas tank will fit between, standard MGB roadster wheel wells. The MGB "gooseneck" hinges, Will Not clear ! These tanks are available new in steel and aluminum. Going for a retro look on my MGB roadster, therefore using external rear deck hinges,(allowing use of the JH tank. Cheers, roverman.
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: BlownMGB-V8 on November 28, 2012, 12:36:27 PM
Here is a link to an affordable capacitive sender and gage:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/skysportfuelsys.php

They use them in homebuilt aircraft.

Jim
Title: Re: Moss Gas Tank
Post by: pspeaks on November 30, 2012, 05:08:02 AM
I just wanted to say I've been posting here for 4 years and I've finally came up with a subject worthy of two pages; I'm rather proud of myself :-)

Paul